ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam timing tool(s)

Hi All
apologies if this has been asked before.
I wish to change the belts on my 182 and obviously a special tool(s) is/are required. i have seen pattern tools on ebay and the like but they look different to images I have seen of the genuine Renault tool. Are these pattern tools any good or am I asking for trouble tackling this job without the genuine Renault item?
Many thanks in advance.

HBT 172 Cup
Everyone will tell you to use Genuine renault tools only (all 3 tools must be used).

I however used eBay cheapo horshoe tool, people say they bend, but theres no reason they should if they are used properly.

Would you like the manual? PM me your e-mail.

Renault say you can do it with just the horse shoe and crank pin, as long as you don't need to undo the cam pulleys. It is obviously more accurate to loosen all 3 pulleys but the difference will be tiny and I don't think Renault undo all three pulleys for a std cambelt change - at least not the guy I know.

You can use an 8mm drift or back end of an 8mm drill bit to lock the crank BTW so you only really need the horse shoe for a basic belt change if you accept the slightly less accurate method.

172 cup
Hi mark

I am also changing my belt and dephaser shortly. Could you also send me the manual if I pm you my email?

172/1.2/E30
Personally i'd always loosen the pulleys. If you want to change the dephaser aswell, then all three tools are a must have.

Clio 172 2000
Sorry for butting in mark can you send me the how to do for the dephaser please I'll send you my email thanks

Black Gold Trophy
I use genuine renault tools, however I'd venture a guess at the laser camshaft setting tool is bending because people are using it incorrectly and trying to slacken the pulleys while this alone is holding the camshafts. I believe this is also the reason why people find the slots machined on camshafts breaking off.
If you are slackening the pulleys you need the pulley holding tools.

In general I don't believe most renault dealerships slacken the pulleys, if they were they'd be changing the pulley oil seals and generally it's not something I see on parts receipts belonging to cars that have had the belts done by main dealers