ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt snapped on Sun. Heres the damage

F82 M4
Well, cambelt snapped on me way down to the star city meet and just been having a word with the mechanic. Ive bent 10 valves, 6 zorst and 4 inlet. Was only doing bout 20 mph when it went. So the work being carried out -

10 New valves,
New water pump,
Skimmed Head,
New Gasket,
New Oil & Filter,
New Spark Plugs,
and New Leads

With the labour im looking at about £600. Not bad in a day eh!? Should be running pretty nice after though!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My mate had his done on his Megane. The parts are covered only for a year under warranty (the renault recomendation is 5 yrs 72 k mind you!) and his went after 14 months. £1400 later and he was not a happy bunny!

same thing happened to me a couple of years ago on my 1.2 clio. Car just died a death, not much of a sound when the belt went. £600 later, the car was back on the road, but to be honest it just didn't feel the same as it did before. had to sell it and get a 182

Octavia VRS
I just changed my belt last week at 71k miles. Should have done it 2 years ago tho (just thought it was based on miles d'oh) so was a lucky boy that similar didn't happen to me.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Was the water pump on its way out? If its been running with water leaking from the pump pulley then it dramatically weakens the belt, hence why it may have gone before it should have.

F82 M4
you can get a 2nd hand engine for 100 quid why pay 6 ton?

not a good one for that price though, i can get a good one delivered for £350 but then its £300 to drop it in. At least I know what my engine is like tbh, + the mechanic has already been working on it for 5 hours getting head off etc so that £100.

Caddy Maxi
crikey £600! fook that! but then again i can do all that type of shiz myself so i'd only be paying for parts. would have been cheaper to just buy a new head by the sounds of that mate. ahh wel as you say s**t happens.

None
Mine sort of started falling apart when driving about !05 kept driving it to get home as I was a long way off and was going about 60 before it fully snapped and the engine went all pete tong. Cost is immense so ended up getting a new car

clio 172 phase 1
you've done the right thing m8 because even if you did get another engine you would defo have to strip it dwn to make sure it was ok and 99% of the time they will need somthing interinally thus costing even more! carn't wait till you get it back tho m8 :)

Chocolate Bar™
u're paying it! thought u only had it fitted a few weeks ago, surely they should be forking out for the repairs

Mine sort of started falling apart when driving about !05 kept driving it to get home as I was a long way off and was going about 60 before it fully snapped and the engine went all pete tong. Cost is immense so ended up getting a new car

LOL!!!
you knew about it and carried on?

did you not realise how much damage they cause when they snap?

M

mini-valver

Like I said today, when its sorted itll be a minter. Gutted it happened on the way to the meet. On the way back me and Mark saw all the cones all over the show where we moved them to pull in, lol

williams and trophy
gutting for u fella. as said above tho

1) if its only just been done...id say the fault lies with whoevers just done it, and would be seeking compo off em meself.

2) would be cheaper to get a 2nd hand head...£50 will get u a good cyl head with valves/cams etc.

3) £600 for the work sounds a little over extortionate to me tbh

4) £350 for engine swap........is that the going rate now??

could buy a 2.0 b/e for less than £300...or a reworked head with bigger valves/ported/polished for less than what ur prob payin for new valves etc

and 5 hours to get the head off...im not surprised hes harging by the hour lol.

CB600FS
Wouldn't it be advisable to get all 16 valves replaced? I'd have thought doing 10 would be like replacing 3 of the 4 tyres!?!?

Yeah theres a lot of sense behind that seeming as thought they're only quids each. Has he pressure tested the head do you know?

£600 is a little high, book times 10/11 hours. If you trust the mechanic though...

M

mini-valver

TBH i think £600 is a cracking price considering pars involved too. Cambelt kit, head kit, valves, oil and filters and the labour......

F82 M4
thanks for the support guys! Decided to get the work done on this engine because i know what the engines like and its pretty decent at the mo. Don't need all 16 done because the other are in good condition and its another £60 at the end of the day. Me and iain had a good run around for parts on monday and got some pretty good prices.

Just wondering though, for a timing belt kit am i better off going to renault or do these look pretty good - https://sslrelay.com/buypartsby.co.uk/timing-belt-kit-info.php?recordID=5015?

Cheers fellas

CB600FS
I'd get the genuine kit to be honest, not worth it in the long run even if it is a bit cheaper. Cambelts not something you want to take chances with really.

what are the symptons of a car with its cambelt about to snap?

Local dealer goes makes wooshing noises, in conjunction with your bank balance going into the red

M

mini-valver

Wilky, get genuine. If it goes tits up again youve got warranty on the parts....

clio 172 phase 1
excatly what dave said stu, and the gen one is only that little bit more1 i know which one i would go wiv! mines goin in 2moz so i'll have a good look how he's goin on :)

F82 M4
sorted, all bits ordered. Got geniune cambelt too. All parts should be with me within the next couple of days! £276 all together! Now its just labour...

Last edited:
  F82 M4
excatly what dave said stu, and the gen one is only that little bit more1 i know which one i would go wiv! mines goin in 2moz so i'll have a good look how he's goin on :)

I have noticed that Tony has scraped my bonnet up against a wall! 2 big chips on the corner of it! He said he would sort it though.

Guys just reading this discussion i got a little worried, my Clio 2.0 has 61,000 km and i was thinking changing the belt soon will i get in trouble if i change it at 62,000 km?

Thanks

Surely its time for that valver to goto the scrapyard in the sky?

Your mad for spending £600 on it. Fair play.