ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt

Clio 172
Hi Guys,

Recently bought a 172 and its done 71000 and on a 02 plate, previous owner says he thinks the belt has never been done so i whipped the engine mount bracket off to have a look.

Were they factory fitted with Gates Powergrip Belts? if not it must have been changed atleast once, belt looks good, no fraying and good tension. Dont think writing would still be clear after 10yrs lol

Also clutch feels very on/off is this normal? maybe because ive come from German Refinement (Hydraulic)

Heres a pic:

cambelt_zpsf951c282.jpg

Cheers

HBT 172 Cup
Id say that is not the original belt. The writing usually wears off after a few thousand miles.

I'd still start saveing to have it changed for peace of mind though.

172 PH1
Your car has had a cambelt change, you can still see the 'Gates Powergrip' labelling on the belt, widely supplied in the trade by motor factors etc ;) Plus that belt doesn't look too old, but it's never good to judge a camber on how it 'looks'.

Clio 172
Totally WRC i agree mate, the fact it still has writing on it tells me its not too old. Will still change next year at somepoint.

Can anyone share anything on the clutch? is this a normal feel a sort of on/off effect?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Your car has had a cambelt change, you can still see the 'Gates Powergrip' labelling on the belt, widely supplied in the trade by motor factors etc ;) Plus that belt doesn't look too old, but it's never good to judge a camber on how it 'looks'.

incorrect information

Gates are OEM suppliers, all genuine belts say the same thing

That belt looks relatively old to me, but probably not the original. I'd hope not anyway as it's overdue for it's 2nd belt on age anyway

172 PH1
So a Renault belt from the factory has 'Gates powergrip' written all over it?

Even though 'powergrip' is the brand label for their after market kits.....

172 PH1
Googling genuine Renault cambelt, I can't see any that have this stamping.

Agreed, obviously same belt as gates are one on most, but then there is a lot of dayco out there conti also etc, I.e. the belt will be the 'same' but the belts are intact marked different from genuine to aftermarket a lot a lot of the time...

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
you'll take note of the Renault Diamond stamped on the left, and the Powergrip stamped on the right. Genuine belt.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
When i change belts on Renaults etc at 5 years the writing can still be clearly read, so its anyones guess as to how old it is.

Clio 182 (cup packs)
Might be too late to help but I have I just got a genuine Clio 182 cambelt kit and the manufacturer of the belt is Gates.