ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can anyone help me make the right choice

RB 182
I was 17 not too long ago, and i got an 8v authentique as a gift from my parents, as basically a car to learn in. I am now stuck with these 2 choices and have no idea what to do

1 - Keep the authentique until i am a few years older so the insurance on something better (sport) isnt crippling and do mods to the authentique (lowering, alloys ect.)

2 - For my 18 birthday (with a years driving experience) get a better model 1.2/1.4 clio with mods already done, i dont really have much knowledge or space for doing mods at my house (and im a lazy b@astard) which is why i may be leaning towards this. I do have a fair amount of money saved for this idea too.

what are your thoughts?

RS6 C7
never buy a car modded buy someone else as they are usually s**t, just do basic things to the car yourself or get someone to do it then atleast you know its done right, Im sure the insurance would be much different for a 1.2 16v would it? when i got my first year driving insurance i though great but it ended up costing 60quid more so i wouldnt get your hopes up there, Its hard to say really i insure a 1.6 16v for £2000 and that was my first car.

BG 182
I would keep what you've got mate, firstly to show your parents you are grateful for the car they gave to you. That saved you a lot of money. Secondly, as you didn't buy it it's more of a car you might as well keep. Spend a small amount on some cheap subtle and sensible mods whilst putting money aside for a nicer car in a couple of years. I went 9 months without a car and using family, friends and public transport to save for my sport, and now I'm the most grateful guy for having one. And also, no doubt, in your first few years you'll have a few orange, which is another reason why you should use this car towards getting a nice one in a couple of years when insurance is more "acceptable".

RB 182
well by buying a already modded car, i meant i would probably get it off here/ from someone i know rather than some random on ebay/pistonheads so i have a general idea of how much time/effort was spent on it, and the insurance, a 16v wouldnt barely change it at all to be honest...

RB 182
my parents bought for the sole reason to learn to drive and expected me to get a new one once id passed and confident so that once again isnt really an issue :/ but you make i good point i reckon i am going to stick with this to be quite honest

Octavia VRS LE
keep it and mod it... unless your just not 'in love' with the car then maybe get rid of it? why not use the money youve saved up for mods or even better idea keep saving and get a sport sooner than expected? wish i could save to buy a sport and insure it but all my money does go on mods to be fair and im still on my first car that the 'rents bought me. nearly 4 years now.....

RB 182
^ yes, ahhh feck it imma just stick with this till i can afford a 197/200 ;D it will give me something to do while im not at college too to be fair

RB 182
i think you're onto something keechy ill spend some money on some nice mods whilst still saving for a better one :) its all good

RB 182
i was meant to make one the other day, ill get one up soon, when ive got my alloys and rs grill fitted ;D

Clio 1.2 16v
I'd keep your 8v. Seriously, I was checking insurance on a 1.2 16v Sport, and they wanted 2900. only 1950 for a 1.2 8v RN ;)

I'll just continue in the Pug till I actually pass my test!