ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car running hot

my 16v seems to be getting very hot lately, doesnt matter if its short or long journeys when i get out the fan is goign mad and it smells really warm. the water is topped up but gonna change it at teh weekend make sure its all topped up properly. any ideas

Have u checked the thermastat? Sometimes it get jammed open by rust and lets your car run hotter than it should. Just a thought!

well mines runni quite hot lately, so i was thinkin bout a low temp thermostat to keep it cool, only £9

ne 1 got a clue how to fit these?

Al

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

:eek: The fact that uve topped it up with water might have something to do with it!

Coolant & antifreeze should be put in the coolant expansion tank, especially with Renault engines running at high temps anyway IMO.

i havebnt actually topped it up, just meant it was at the right level but planned to drain it all at the weekend and fill it up with coolant, as it hasnt been doen for a while.

Renault Laguna

It could be a huge number of things but you can actually lower down the temp without spending money...

1)Be sure that the readiator is externally clean, road dirt really decreases cooling efficiency and youll be amazed how big is the improvement, get busy with a brush and a low pressure water hose and give it a clean.

2)If th esystem has been neglected (rusty water) YOU SHOULD take the radiator out and hose it for a few minutes and then hose the engine internals too, just remove the thermostat and put to hose on the outlet pipe so the reverse flush clean all the galleries, this helps a lot too, once the system is clean YOU SHOULD ONLY USE A GOOD COOLANT MIXED WITH DISTILLED WATER, do this and youll see how it keeps cleaner longer.

3)Check that the system is properly bled and that the cap is working as intended.

4)If you are going to replace parts dont be a cheapo and replace tstat, fan switch (you can use a Fuego switch that engages at 82 degrees instead of the usual 92 degrees), check coolant pump, its belt and hoses for leaks.

These systems work nicely when clean but if neglected they are a nightmare, it took me the hard way to understand them..

Hope this helped. :D

Quote: Originally posted by Essex_Lad on 15 April 2003

well mines runni quite hot lately, so i was thinkin bout a low temp thermostat to keep it cool, only £9

ne 1 got a clue how to fit these?

Al
Replace the old one with it "Simple".!

clio williams, Ph1 172

You could even take the thermastat out completely. Heard of people doing that with 5 turbos. then just put it back in when weather gets colder. Might be a problem with the car though. MIne has NEVER got that hot even when thrashing it and being stuck in traffic on scorchin days.

Renault Laguna

Quote: Originally posted by Paul16V on 17 April 2003

You could even take the thermastat out completely. Heard of people doing that with 5 turbos. then just put it back in when weather gets colder. Might be a problem with the car though. MIne has NEVER got that hot even when thrashing it and being stuck in traffic on scorchin days.
I wouldnt do that, severe damage can be done to the head because coolant just goes thur it without picking up the heat, you cant see it on the gauge but you are actually overheating your engine, a well mantained system shouldnt overheat, its matter of spending money on it. New/Bigger radiators are the best way to keep the system in shape.