ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car slipps when turning right

fad

Clio 182 FF
If ya change the bearing and mount at the same time it will be sorted, I had 4 new tyres just put on last week and still does it. It's defo that l, believe me people!!!

Not sure mate as I've replaced both top mounts and mine still does this. The actual top mounts you buy from Renault have the Bearing in them.

Its driving me nuts though as pulling out of juntions are a nightmare it just judders and doesnt really go anwhere!!! Before it used to grip really well!

Next stop is checking the Geometry

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Not sure mate as I've replaced both top mounts and mine still does this. The actual top mounts you buy from Renault have the Bearing in them.

Its driving me nuts though as pulling out of juntions are a nightmare it just judders and doesnt really go anwhere!!! Before it used to grip really well!

Next stop is checking the Geometry

Not sure that's right mate the bearing and mount are seperate, you have probably just changed the mount and the bearing is worn underneath.

BMW F21 125d
Can anyone one confirm that the top mounts and bearings are purchased as one part or two ? Can you get these non-gen as £125 is alot of cash to give to Renault!

fad

Clio 182 FF
Not sure that's right mate the bearing and mount are seperate, you have probably just changed the mount and the bearing is worn underneath.

Trust me you dont pay £140 for two bits of rubber unless it comes with the bearing in it. It came with the metal part that fits into the bottom of the top mount.

The problem is still there, checked so far:

Subframe for wear
wheel bearings for play
replaced top mounts

So only things left is Geometry and CV joints

fad

Clio 182 FF
Can anyone one confirm that the top mounts and bearings are purchased as one part or two ? Can you get these non-gen as £125 is alot of cash to give to Renault!

Came in one part in a box however i has some 1.2 top mounts which came in two bits the rubber and the bearing that went into the bottom of it

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Trust me you dont pay £140 for two bits of rubber unless it comes with the bearing in it. It came with the metal part that fits into the bottom of the top mount.

The problem is still there, checked so far:

Subframe for wear
wheel bearings for play
replaced top mounts

So only things left is Geometry and CV joints

Sounds like ya bought the right part. Maybe yours is different but I bet most cases of this is down to the bearing and top mounts. A mechanic checked my mates and said it was shot so I'm gonna start with that cos his sqeeks and skids like mine.

BMW F21 125d
I'm angling towards it being the inner CV boot myself, I cant see it being the Bearing & Top Mount, but it confuses me as to why it only does it at low speed and is not more exagerated when roundabouting at 50+mph....

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I'm angling towards it being the inner CV boot myself, I cant see it being the Bearing & Top Mount, but it confuses me as to why it only does it at low speed and is not more exagerated when roundabouting at 50+mph....

Maybe it's something in the steering like it's turning too far and pushing instead of turning, I'm pretty sure we all have the same problem so sum1 should know what it is.

Iceberg 172
I get this too but only first thing in the morning when it's cold :S

I thought it was to do with the top mounts of the struts - can't you get a washer that soves the issue from Yozzasport? I also have Goodyear F1s, and it seems to have got worse recently as a) the tyres have worn and b) the road has got greasier...

TBH I just drive round the problem by not using full lock first thing.

BMW F21 125d
You can get a washer, £10 a pair from Yozza, but i cant see that being the issue, if that was it, surely you'd get a knock all the time, bumps and stuff, not just under turn ?

To me it feels like tyre scrub which if the tracking is out by some way is exaggerated by putting on lock and turning slowly since the wheels can be fighting each other a bit.

Hmm..i get this too.

I need to check my tyres. I dont really want it to be mechanical related, though it probably is..

1998 BMW e46 323i
the top mount washer issue is a separate issue. My car pulls to the right, so it could well be trackin or tyre scrub.

BMW F21 125d
Semi Update (sorry for thread hi-jack).

I took mine down to Birchdown today as was concerned it could be my CV boots, turns out everything is absolutley fine on the car, recommended I get tracking checked. Took it down to Demon Tweeks to get a full tracking check (£40) and turns out the front toe was out. That's been adjusted and problem has gone away, I am however going to put these strut top washers on (some for sale in marketplace) once I recieve them.

Semi Update (sorry for thread hi-jack).

I took mine down to Birchdown today as was concerned it could be my CV boots, turns out everything is absolutley fine on the car, recommended I get tracking checked. Took it down to Demon Tweeks to get a full tracking check (£40) and turns out the front toe was out. That's been adjusted and problem has gone away, I am however going to put these strut top washers on (some for sale in marketplace) once I recieve them.

In what way was it out (too much toe out or toe in?) and did they happen to tell you waht they set it to (I believe the factory toe settings are with slight toe-out which is unusual for a FWD car).

Mine has the same problem, was very noticeable in the recent ice/snow when it tugged/slipped easier.

BMW F21 125d
In what way was it out (too much toe out or toe in?) and did they happen to tell you waht they set it to (I believe the factory toe settings are with slight toe-out which is unusual for a FWD car).

Mine has the same problem, was very noticeable in the recent ice/snow when it tugged/slipped easier.

Im no expert, but this is what the digital readout tells me....

This is for the front toe, Mine was 0.25 degrees total and its now -0.11 degrees.... ( i presume its in degree's) Left and right now set at -0.06 each. According to this the front toe should be between -0.17 and +0.07

And the rear toe, both sides are 0.14 (so 0.28 total) and according to this it should be between -0.10 and +0.50 at the rear.

Also my steer ahead was out, but doubt that had any bearing on my issue.

Last edited:
  Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
This is good to know, is it a full allignment check or geommetry as I have similar issues!

A

ashy_gtt

My 182 does this, i think the tyre is catching on the inner arch cover!! there is some scrubbing marks when i've had the wheel off... weird how its only when the car is first started and reversed off the drive!!

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
when i had 205s on mine if i was turning slowly it would slip but with 195s its fine

1998 BMW e46 323i
small update: my car was pullin to the right and slipping when turning at slow speeds. I had the trackin done and re-done. Then i realised my n/s/f tyre was worn, so i've rotated the tyres front to back, havin ordered 2 new tyres. Now i have no slipping or pulling to the right!

For me this seems less noticeable now the roads are less icy/slippy so I still reckon it's to do with tracking/geometry beings tyre scrub which on dry roads you can't really feel but any slight ice/greasy road you can feel it as the wheel can slip easier when turning at low speed.

mutiple
has anyone thought about cold oil in the lsd/esp sensors trying to move power about even at the low speeds or not able to work at low speeds

has anyone thought about cold oil in the lsd/esp sensors trying to move power about even at the low speeds or not able to work at low speeds

I don't think many people have LSD fitted and the ESP light flickers if it's doing something?

1998 BMW e46 323i
for me at least it's because the tyres are worn. With the same unworn or evenly worn tyres there's no issue. Check the wear near the outer edges.