ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carbon canister removal, somethings not right??

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
Hi All,

I have removed the carbon canister for some brake ducts and i started the car up today and when it's running you can hear a hissing from the fuel filler breather, also when you stop the engine you can hear the tank making a lot of noise almost like it's returning back to shape.

When i removed the canister i connected the two pipes together and left the plug connected as i read on hear.

Any ideas whats happening?

Gman

Not sure if you are meant to connect them. Seen a few different things posted on here but i think you are meant to block the one on the inlet and leave the other one open might be wrong though.

172 Ph1
Your'e right jack, block off the inlet one. Gman If you have removed the canister completely then the other pipe will have to be blocked off to as this pipe runs to the fuel tank and if left open will vent fuel vapour fumes in that area, and we dont want that mate.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
I need to do the same soon, so how can we tell which one's the inlet one? Not actually looked yet...so that may be a daft question!

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
This was what i was going to try, does blocking the fuel tank vapour breather one not cause problems though?

You really don't want to connect the pipes - that pipes goes straight into the inlet
So when you run the car it will create a vacuum in the tank!!!

Trace the pipe backwards under the car and 3/4 of the way back you'll find a join - block it off there
The tank can still vent fuel vapours through the other vent in the fuel cap :)

Done, self tapper into both ends. Did the other side as well, removed the air thingy on the end of the intake and horns now off, stuck a self tapper in the pipe that was left open. Now need some brake ducting to finish the job off....

SQ5
Just pull the pipe out from the joiner just before it goes under your inlet and screw a wheel bolt in and let the fuel one still breathe, shouldn't be blocked up

Which one is that then.....one goes down by the pulleys and towards the fuel tank cut that just under the drivers set and plugged, the other one goes to the top of the engine toward the HT leads plugged up near there, which one should be open?

The fuel tank one but not sure on if it should be blocked or not iirc Burpspeed blocked theirs. One that goes to the top of the engine defiantly needs blocking.

SQ5
Yea engine one needs blocking, but can be taken off higher up near the plenum, not just off the canister

clio 1.4 16v 02
sorry to bump old thread. looked at a thread earlier a bloke is getting a ticking noise, I also have a slight ticking noise.

Some1 has told him to remove the the Carbon Canister, can some1 tell me why a Carbon Canister would be ticking in the first place? cheers