ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CAT C Questions

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Someone reversed into my car about 6 weeks ago, and to cut a long story short, I've been offered book value for my car (a whopping £535 - 97, MK1 PH3 - 130K miles), and they don't want the car, so I'm going to run it until the end of the MOT in September, it's only panel damage.

My questions are:

1 - Do I have to inform anyone that I will be keeping the car on the road?

2 - If something happens to it again, will I get any money if there is damage to it, or if it is stolen? If not, I might as well lower my insurance to 3rd party.

Cheers.

Meg on pistonheads £6995
don't assume anything!

if you receive any payout, then 'technically' the car is theres

be careful - you need this in writing - they 'may' sell it back to you for a nominal amount, say £1

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Solicitor has been passed the info regarding me keeping the car apparently.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
if there is sharp bits sticking out the car you want be able to drive it on the road anyway... plus if a car has been written off doesnt that void a mot certificate anyway??? i may be chatting bubbles

I had the same thing happen to me years ago when someone bumped into my pug 309 in the car park, it was deemed to uneconomical to repair as it was an old car so just got the value of the car which was about £400 quid and was told i could keep the car which i did and aout 4 weeks later the engine seized up due to me driving through a massive flood and water got in :S

Mine wasn't "written off ", the categories only decribe a car which has been badly damaged to to an accident or fire/water damage. My car then was still road worthy just a bump in the bodywork, it wa just deemed to uneconomical to repair because of the age of the car, had been any other car it would of been repaired. I would imagine it's the same in your case.

And they don't want it themselves because by the time they've sorted out recovering you motor they will probably be losing out more money.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
if there is sharp bits sticking out the car you want be able to drive it on the road anyway... plus if a car has been written off doesnt that void a mot certificate anyway??? i may be chatting bubbles

There aren't any sharp bits sticking out, as above, the reason it is written off is uneconomical repair, all the damage is is a biggish dent to the rear quarter panel and scuff to the door, but 'cos the car is 10 years old, it would only need to be a couple of hundred quids worth of damage to write it off.

It's been assessed twice, and both times been declared road worthy, if it wasn't road worthy the assesors wouldn't have let it back on the road apparently. The only reason I want to run it, is to save me a few quid of buying a new one until the MOT runs out on this one in September. It won't pass a new MOT without the panel being sorted, which I can't be bothered to do, so might as well just try and get 3 months of running out of it, because it's been reasonably well looked after.

porsche 944 - 80's ftw!
Why do you title the post as cat C questions? Was your car classed as a cat C?

Just because a cars been written off it does not mean that it automatically a cat C.

Not trying to be funny but it seems a lot of people dont know or understand the catergorys and think there all death traps only fit for the crusher.

porsche 944 - 80's ftw!
It might not need the panel replacing or doing up just to get through the mot m8, do you have any pics of the damage?

Breaking A 172 Replica
As above, why do you think it is Cat C? If it is Cat C then it will need a VIC check and another MOT.

From how you have described, I'd have thought it is a Cat D. If this is the case keep it going as per usual, but do seek legal advice to ensure it is legally yours.

If it is CAT C or D, providing you do everything correctly, insurance/tax etc... will be the same as any other car.

Agree with the above as well, in the respect that people always think the car is only fit for the scrappy when it has been written off. All it means is the damage is too expensive to be repaired using 100% genuine parts at an approved body shop. Even for just a rear quarter panel on a clio you are looking at 600+ for that.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Was told by the solicitor that it is a Cat C (uneconomical repair).

So, what all do I need to do then to keep it on the road? And when does this start, as I have had it on the road for the last 8 weeks with the damage (as I was advised to by the insurance companies and assesors).

I'm not actually dealing directly with the insurance company, it's all going through the solicitor as they won't speak to me.

www.renparts.co.uk
if its a Cat C then it will need a VIC check..... and it also voids the MOT, which must be done before the VIC check... its not really in their interest to tell you these factors so they might just have decided not to bother... if it is CAT D then a VIC check won't need doing but it will need an MOT as it voids this...

porsche 944 - 80's ftw!
Ok , so its a cat C. First thing you need to do is go on vosa's website and get their number for the nearest vosa test station in your area.

Then ask for a vic test form (it will help speed up things of you ask what dates and times they have available at the moment).

When the form comes just fill it in with a cheque for £35 (this will pay for your v5 document as well). You will then recieve a letter telling you what date and time to bring the car to be assessed (you would need to have it mot'd before you can drive it there and yes you can mot it before this test).

Got to the vosa centre, they will check the chassis numbers etc (not the condition of the repair) and then give you while your there a letter to take to a dvla centre allowing you to get you car taxed while the v5 document arrives (you would still need a proof of insurance and a valid mot to get the tax done though).

A piece of piss, just takes a bit of time to arrange the booking.

If you have any other questions just ask!

porsche 944 - 80's ftw!
Oh another thing, when the v5 document arrives it will have written on it that its been damaged and repaired. Shouldnt worry you as its only to get you around but does put some people off buying.

www.renparts.co.uk
Ok , so its a cat C. First thing you need to do is go on vosa's website and get their number for the nearest vosa test station in your area.

Then ask for a vic test form (it will help speed up things of you ask what dates and times they have available at the moment).

When the form comes just fill it in with a cheque for £35 (this will pay for your v5 document as well). You will then recieve a letter telling you what date and time to bring the car to be assessed (you would need to have it mot'd before you can drive it there and yes you can mot it before this test).

Got to the vosa centre, they will check the chassis numbers etc (not the condition of the repair) and then give you while your there a letter to take to a dvla centre allowing you to get you car taxed while the v5 document arrives (you would still need a proof of insurance and a valid mot to get the tax done though).

A piece of piss, just takes a bit of time to arrange the booking.

If you have any other questions just ask!

having the MOT done before is not optional.... they won't conduct the test unless it has had the MOT...

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Will an existing MOT be ok?

And do I have to pay for the repair? I really don't want to spend much (any really) on the car, all I want is to run it for the next 10 weeks until the existing MOT runs out.

FOR SALE!!!
when my back was wrote of as a cat d i could still use it fine mot stood and everythink as was pulled by the police and they checked and was all ok so as long as it cat d your fine to drive it but if its cat c as said u will have get iy VIC tested etc mate

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Some pics of the damage:

DSC00443.gif

DSC00444.gif

www.renparts.co.uk
its only cat C due to the age of the car... i would ring vosa and explain the situation... and see what they say...

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like the plan of attack.

Such a pain in the arse, all because some guy didn't look behind him when coming out of a parking space.

Oh well, no one hurt and all that....

porsche 944 - 80's ftw!
That will not need repairing m8 just go and get it mot'd again and do as i mentioned earlier.

porsche 944 - 80's ftw!
might be an idea to take off the old clips just in case they were worried about sharp edges before mot time.