ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing a vehicle on an exsisting policy

Black Gold 182 W/CupPacks
Now it may just be me being stupid (If so tell me I can take it) but I phoned up my ex insurers today (CIS) to change my pug 306 HDI over to my 182.
When I phoned them up 2 weeks ago when I was looking at buying the car I was told it would be £27 to cancel my existing policy then £410 pounds a year for the new vehicle. I thought this was a good quote as it was only about £100 extra from what I was paying before and thats going from a group 6 vehicle to a group 16 so anyway the 7 day free drive away cover I had from the dealers was due to run out tomorrow so I called them up to make the switch, I was in for a shock.
I was told that the £410 was to be paid ON TOP of my existing policy so in fact it would cost me over £700 a year to insure the Clio!!
I was not amused as you can imagine and went off on one to the poor sod at the end of the phone.
Luckily I have since found a new policy with esure at a more reasonable sum of £380 a year but I was miffed to say the least that it was in no way implied that the insurance would be £410 a year on top of my existing policy instead of a direct replacement.
So if you buy a new vehicle and wish to keep it with your current insurers please make sure that they have explained everything to you properly and save yourself a lot of faffing around.
Sorry to ramble, I now feel better after typing it all out :)

JD

Last edited:
nope I listened properly, the guy did not explain that the £410 was to be paid on top of the existing policy of £300 rather than being a replacement.

ph1 172
how old r u dude? im 21 with 3 yrs no claims and my insurance for a 172 is £900... wish i cud get insurance that cheap :[

Indeed :) although there is no massive drop at 25 like a lot of people say,
it just falls steadily and it pays to shop around every time your renewal comes through.

340i
is it worth it? may be worth waitin another year or so...

I keep telling myself that....

And the only answer i get is yes :rasp:

But ive shopped around and that looks like the best price i can get, my friend is 21 with 2yrs NCB and he is paying near enough the same on his 172