ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing sprk plugs

172 MKII FF
Hi,

I'm going to attempt to change the sparks on my 172 2002 which is on 54k and I don't think they have ever been changed in the past.

I've been reading a few articles on here but have a few questions which I hope can be answered.

1. When replacing the plenum/inlet manifold gasket does it require any kind of liquid or does it sit in a ridge to hold it down? I'm concious of putting the gasket in place and it slipping around when I tighten the bolts.

2. When pulling the HT leads with the rubber head will this simply pull out the full spark?

3. How do I actually replace the spark? Do I need to disconnect the battery or anything :eek: , don't want to shock myself or anything.

4. How would I know if the sparks are knackered or in bad condition?

5. Which sparks are best? I've read I should use http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PFR6E-10-NGK-...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem but would appreciate confirmation on this. Naturally I would be looking at purchasing the best spark plug for the car.

6. Is there any kind of pre-preperation I need to do prior to tackling this job?

Thanks in advance.

Ph1
Theres a gromit sticking up so no chance of the gasket moving about plus when you put the screws in it holds it in place as the gasket has pre drilled holes

No you'll need the appropriate size spark plug socket head remover. Think its a 10mm from memory

As long as no one turns the ignition on you wont get a shock. Its not too bad a shock if you do anyway ;)

Yeah PFR6E-10 NGK's are what you want

Easy job to do really. You might need to unplug a few sensors and maybe the throttle cable but its all pretty easy to do

Last edited: