ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Classic Car Insurance Questions.

Okay, I did do a little search on here and found a few answers, but nothing definitive really.

Basically, I'll be looking at classic car insurance soon, and I have a few things I want to clear up.

The car, I understand the age of the vehicle that can be insured changes with various companies, is this true?

I have been told that the insured vehicle must be a second car and you must own another car that is used primarily, again how much truth is in this?

Who are the main players in CCI, as in generally speaking, who are the best for cover and price, I need somewhere to start, and a Google search brings back endless pages of insurers I know little about.

Is there anything else I need to know about, anything at all? I'm after advice off people who have either had experience with CCI, or work in the industry :)

Cheers.

MR2 Mk1.5
The car, I understand the age of the vehicle that can be insured changes with various companies, is this true?

On the truth scale, I'd give that a 10/10

I have been told that the insured vehicle must be a second car and you must own another car that is used primarily, again how much truth is in this?

8.5/10

Who are the main players in CCI, as in generally speaking, who are the best for cover and price, I need somewhere to start, and a Google search brings back endless pages of insurers I know little about.

You'll fine most are brokers, they will very from genuine classic insurers to modern classic companies, there is a variety to choose from, some will be great, some not so.

Is there anything else I need to know about, anything at all? I'm after advice off people who have either had experience with CCI, or work in the industry :)

Cheers.

Let's do it the other way around, how old are you, what car, modifications, where is it kept over night, postcode, how many miles per year, do you own other cars?

Thanks

Ollie
Sky Insurance

http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/car-club-insurance.html

Thanks Ollie :)

Let's do it the other way around, how old are you, what car, modifications, where is it kept over night, postcode, how many miles per year, do you own other cars?

Answers to above questions:

- BMW E30 325iS Manual Coupe (not bought yet so unsure of specific age).
- None at first, but coilovers ect will be added later in the policy.
- At home.
- M33 postcode.
- Around 6,000 miles per annum.
- Yes, one other.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i think i spoke to you about it an nandos that time.

lancaster stipulated it must be a 2nd vehicle and that i have another i use... i do the A1,
They were OK with all the mods i have got.. the list is long, although i did have to explain a few bits to them.
They also have a minimum age of 25 years i think it was, the golf is 32.

but all that said its ceap as chips and £160 for a year.

MR2 Mk1.5
Thanks Ollie :)

Answers to above questions:

- BMW E30 325iS Manual Coupe (not bought yet so unsure of specific age).
- None at first, but coilovers ect will be added later in the policy.
- At home.
- M33 postcode.
- Around 6,000 miles per annum.
- Yes, one other.

First thoughts are, you're going to struggle to get a classic/modern classic policy but try the following:

Classic Line
Heritage
Graham Sykes
Peter Best
Lancaster

Failing that, Brentacre

Best of luck with it

i think i spoke to you about it an nandos that time.

lancaster stipulated it must be a 2nd vehicle and that i have another i use... i do the A1,
They were OK with all the mods i have got.. the list is long, although i did have to explain a few bits to them.
They also have a minimum age of 25 years i think it was, the golf is 32.

but all that said its ceap as chips and £160 for a year.

Aye I remember, I've heard conflicting things about if it has to be a second car or not.

Just trying to iron a few things out. I'll look into Lancaster :)

Cheers.

MR2 Mk1.5
Any reason?

Age, car, postcode, mileage allocation, modifications.

You're age under 25, it's a high risk car, very high risk postcode, most classic policies prefer 5k or under, most prefer standard cars.

Also, when I said, where is the car kept over night, I meant driveway, garaged, street. If the latter, you're really going to struggle unfortunately. Cars kept on the street in Manchester aren't exactly low risk , which is the basis of a classic car policy - low risk.

Car would be on the driveway.

Cheers for your advice, I'll look into some quotes.

Admiral have given me a pretty good price, if the others out there can't beat it, then I won't bother :)

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
Try gocompare, there a few classic companies on there i think

HIC did a classic ish policy for me on my own cabby when i was under 25 as no one else would touch me

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
Probably coz every teenager that wants to skid gets on old e30, welds the diff then crashesh it into the nearest tree/ lampost/ kerb/ cow

Yeah, but they're not even close (by thousands) to Admirals quote, which seeing as classic car insurance is supposed to be cheaper, seems odd.

I'll persevere for now, need to spend an evening ringing round and collecting some prices :)

clio 182 sport
the basics for classic car insurance, needs to be under 3k miles ideally, over 15/20 years old ( the vehicle ), PH needs to be over 25, PH needs to have access to another vehicle not own, could be a company car ect, and the vehicle usually has to have some value like be worth other a grand and also be kept in a safe location, driveway or garage