ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning advice required

172 cup TT

Howdy yall..

this sounds stupid, but whats the best way to wash/polish/wax your car?? - im kinda needing specifics here..

I wash it fine with good ol water+shpoo then dry it all.. but then its a world of mystery for me after that!! - id normally bung some "polish" on it and get it all shiney but ive heard on here that you should only really polish cars about twice a year and its waxing that can be done often... Does waxing car make it shiney then too or is it just to protect and shows no visible difference as i dont want to only be able to make the car sparkle twice a year?!? - how come i see people up and down the road "polishing" their cars every other weekend, or are they using different stuff, or are they just thick and ruining their paintwork???

Nice

well after washing ur car, u will need to bung some coldd water over it to get all the soap suds off.

Then ull need to shammie the whole car, sqeezin it lots. that will rid the water marks.

Then if u need to u can wax it. Just put some polish on, rub in small circules. leave for a few mins, then buff to a shine. Wax will make it shine and may covers up some light scratches and will protect the bodywork.

Certainly dont need to wax it after every wash, maybe a few times a year.

Mazda MX5 1.8

i just use auto glym stuff!

what i do isssss

rince to get most dirt off
then get it all bubbly with bodywork shampoo
then rince the bubbles off
then do all me black bits
and polish (or just dry if im feeling lazy)

172 cup TT

back home now.... cheers for the replies peeps.... so can you wash / dry then polish as much as you want? surely this is bad for the paint?..

ok, so my understanding is.. wash / dry / Polish / then wax - done :) this is done only a few times a year yeh?..

So what happens if i want to wash it everyweek.. have i got no choice but to only do the wash and dry and dont bother with the polish and / or wax???.. oh but i want it shiney! lol

sh*t sluggs you found out!!.. lol - i only have done it once... ive seen the light and washed it about 6 times, 5 by hand / power spray thingie... 1st time by car wash!! no way doing that again!!!!!!

172 cup TT

chris i didnt know you could polish if cars still wet? - or can i?...

Fubar - well apparently not.. i did a search for cleaning tips etc on here.. and people were saying how to polish after washing which gives the shine etc.. then to wax after that which seals it in and gives a slightly protective barrier against the elements... remember a thread saying how the water doesnt rest on waxd cars properly and just rolls off in beads .. i dunno lol....

It all depends how serious you want to get. You could wash, claybar, wash again, remove swirls/glaze, polish and wax. Some more basic info follows:

Rinse to get rid of loose dirt, then WASH using a good quality car shampoo and lambswoll mitt, or if you have to a good clean sponge (dont use a sponge on paint if you drop it - itll have minute peices of grit in it thatll sratch your paint), rinse and dry using a quality clean chamois or clean terry towelling. After washing you could use a CLAYBAR to remove stubborn tar or insect deposits.

A true POLISH is more like a cleanser, removing oxidation, old wax, minor swirl marks and water spots. ONLY polish if your paint needs it, if after youve washed and dried your car the paint doesnt feel like glass it needs a polish. There are loads of different polishes available for different uses, read the packaging carefully to make sure you get the right type. After polishing you apply the WAX which is a protects the paint. You DO NOT always need to polish your car, evaluate the condition of the paint after youve washed it.

You can determine if your car has enough WAX by following a simple test. Rub a clean, dry towel over the bonnet or roof surfaces. If you hear squeaking, its because the paint is dry and needs polishing and protection. When a cars paint surface has good wax protection, a good buffing cloth should glide across the surface. After waxing, your cars paint should feel slick and smooth, and be free of streaks and smudges. The best natural waxes contain Carnauba wax. Some waxes are synthetic wax, its personal choice.

Have a look at http://www.bettercarcare.comwww.bettercarcare.com which is where I got most of the info above. As for which stuff to use its personal choice. I currently use a Turltewax wash, 3M hand Glaze (if needed), AutoGlym polish (if needed), P21/S100 waxes, and various other wheel cleaners and trim detailers and glass polishes, mainly Autoglym stuff. If Im going to give my motor a good thorough clean (about once a month) itll take me 3 - 4 hours!

172 cup TT

nice one eight ball thats spot on mate!! - getting car tomorrow lunch so will start with the mamouth wash and install weekend! hehe

Mazda MX5 1.8

Quote: Originally posted by Floodie on 01 April 2004

chris i didnt know you could polish if cars still wet? - or can i?...

doing my black bits in between usually allows enough time for it to dry off and then as i polish i tidy up the edges of the black bits