ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning and paint help!

RS Clio Trophy 220
Alright Guys,
I have bought a RS Clio Trophy 220 in black. After picking it up I have seen swirl marks in the paint and I want them gone.
What's the best stuff to clean the car with and what's a good wax/polish to use.

Frazer

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Alright Guys,
I have bought a RS Clio Trophy 220 in black. After picking it up I have seen swirl marks in the paint and I want them gone.
What's the best stuff to clean the car with and what's a good wax/polish to use.

Frazer

You’ll need a DA polishing machine if you want to remove the swirls.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Yeah I need to be on the look out for those. I'm think of getting a pressure washer and bits as well to avoid having to tough the paint too much

Have a read through some of my old cleaning threads if you want tips on products and processes on Decontamination, protection, correction and minimum contact cleaning.

RS Clio Trophy 220
Have a read through some of my old cleaning threads if you want tips on products and processes on Decontamination, protection, correction and minimum contact cleaning.
Thanks buddy!
I'll have a look! No doubt I'll pick up some tips!

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
I used meguiars scratch 2.0 it has helped with swirls but wants doing again, definetly an improvement though

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Yeah I need to be on the look out for those. I'm think of getting a pressure washer and bits as well to avoid having to tough the paint too much

It’s definitely worth investing in something like a DAS6 pro http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polis.../das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/prod_673.html

You’ll use it loads. Even after you’ve got the swirls out you can use it a couple of times a year to get the paint proper glossy with glazes and very fine polishes.

They’re proper easy to use and there’s loads of tutorials on YouTube.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I used meguiars scratch 2.0 it has helped with swirls but wants doing again, definetly an improvement though

Megs Scratch 2.0 is more of a cutting compound, so you're more than likely to be inducing swirls just by the nature of it.

Think of it like T-Cut.

You'll need a finer finishing polish to safely remove swirls.

RS Clio Trophy 220
Megs Scratch 2.0 is more of a cutting compound, so you're more than likely to be inducing swirls just by the nature of it.

Think of it like T-Cut.

You'll need a finer finishing polish to safely remove swirls.
Thanks for the help buddy! I'll have a look see what I can find. They just bugging me now. And with better weather coming seems the right time to get them sorted

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Worth getting some decent microfibre cloths as well, because cheap ones will cause light swirling and marring.

You want soft and plush ones for paintwork.

These are nice and soft: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BK79YUO/?tag=cliospnet01-21

RS Clio Trophy 220
Worth getting some decent microfibre cloths as well, because cheap ones will cause light swirling and marring.

You want soft and plush ones for paintwork.

These are nice and soft: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BK79YUO/?tag=cliospnet01-21
Thanks man! All these tips hopefully will help. Want to keep the Clio looking good

RB 182 Cup,E46 M3 CS
Best to just reiterate the basics.. Two buckets for washing, lambswool mitts (I use two, one for the cleaner half of the car and one for everywhere else), drying with a large soft microfibre cloth rather than a chamois, clay bar decontamination before using any sort of polish (I use the simple Meguiars kit), I don't use a polishing machine but get good results just doing it by hand with a small application pad, simple wax/sealant treatment (even ArmorAll Shield does a decent job).

RS Clio Trophy 220
Best to just reiterate the basics.. Two buckets for washing, lambswool mitts (I use two, one for the cleaner half of the car and one for everywhere else), drying with a large soft microfibre cloth rather than a chamois, clay bar decontamination before using any sort of polish (I use the simple Meguiars kit), I don't use a polishing machine but get good results just doing it by hand with a small application pad, simple wax/sealant treatment (even ArmorAll Shield does a decent job).
Thank you buddy. Just need to get rid of the existing swirls in the paint

RB 182 Cup,E46 M3 CS
Thank you buddy. Just need to get rid of the existing swirls in the paint

That's ok, it depends how deep you want to go into cleaning/valeting/detailing. You can remove swirls with just a good clean, clay and polish by hand and then add some protetion with a wax including liquid waxes. I use Autoglym Super Resin Polish, nothing special but it does the job applied with a simple soft applicating pad and then buffed with a soft polishing cloth. In my opinion the clay is the most important step as that is removing all the contaminants that are causing your swirls in the first place, my Clio had been polished without decontamination first and it was that polishing that caused all the swirls!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
That's ok, it depends how deep you want to go into cleaning/valeting/detailing. You can remove swirls with just a good clean, clay and polish by hand and then add some protetion with a wax including liquid waxes. I use Autoglym Super Resin Polish, nothing special but it does the job applied with a simple soft applicating pad and then buffed with a soft polishing cloth. In my opinion the clay is the most important step as that is removing all the contaminants that are causing your swirls in the first place, my Clio had been polished without decontamination first and it was that polishing that caused all the swirls!

SRP does contain a few swirl fillers, so you won't get a 100% true finish but it's good enough for the hobbyist car cleaner.

RS Clio Trophy 220
Thanks for the advice guys!
I just want to look right and not like some of the black cars you see, when the sun hits them all you see is the swirls.
Probably more my own fault for getting a black car (something I said I didn't want again but it looked so good).

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
If you’ve got the facelift trophy, be warned the gloss black on the alloys scratches from a stiff breeze, be sure to use the softest brushes you can when cleaning them. I found this out the hard way :(

RS Clio Trophy 220
If you’ve got the facelift trophy, be warned the gloss black on the alloys scratches from a stiff breeze, be sure to use the softest brushes you can when cleaning them. I found this out the hard way 😧
Thanks man! So far I've been using a mitt on them! Shame about yours though :(

RS Clio Trophy 220
20171209_132843.jpg