ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172/182 turbo??

Skoda fabia vrs
Hi all I drive a skoda fabia at the moment an use to have a 197 I'm thinking of buying a 172/182 an putting a turbo on it from ED I keep reading comments that they are really good then I see some saying they are nothing but problems? I'm quite torn on wether I should do it or not it's going to be daily use and a few track days a year any help is appreciated thanks

182 Turbo
being nothing but problems is down to the car, is it not? Have you never heard of anyone buy a standard n/a clio 172/182 thats been nothing but problems?
If you buy a pig of a 1*2 bolting a turbo on will probably help you identify a problem sooner rather than later.
Buy a 1*2 and perform a compression & leakage test to see whats what and how you should go forward would be the smartest way going about turboing a 1*2 i would say.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Hi all I drive a skoda fabia at the moment an use to have a 197 I'm thinking of buying a 172/182 an putting a turbo on it from ED I keep reading comments that they are really good then I see some saying they are nothing but problems? I'm quite torn on wether I should do it or not it's going to be daily use and a few track days a year any help is appreciated thanks

Leave well alone unless you have unlimited funds imo .
If you want a turbo car buy one that was built with one on from factory.

Sheen90

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Turbo
I’ve got a 172 with ED low boost 80k miles. Conversion was done over a year ago
Touch wood.... I’ve had zero issues, including numerous track days and a 2000 mile euro trip with a track day at Spa and 5 TF laps at the ring. Buy a good 1*2 to start with, keep on top of maintenance, drive with a bit of mechanical sympathy and it should be fine.

182 Turbo
I’ve got a 172 with ED low boost 80k miles. Conversion was done over a year ago
Touch wood.... I’ve had zero issues, including numerous track days and a 2000 mile euro trip with a track day at Spa and 5 TF laps at the ring. Buy a good 1*2 to start with, keep on top of maintenance, drive with a bit of mechanical sympathy and it should be fine.
Same, about 14 months no issues. Wish i had unlimited funds though 😅

Skoda fabia vrs
Cheers for the help I'm looking to get one In a few weeks time then taking it to have the turbo kit fitted what's the power delivery like on the low boost kit ?? Is it smooth threw the revs or does it come in as one big lump ??

182 Turbo
Cheers for the help I'm looking to get one In a few weeks time then taking it to have the turbo kit fitted what's the power delivery like on the low boost kit ?? Is it smooth threw the revs or does it come in as one big lump ??
Its sort of linear and nicely usable , but its still like a punch to the jugular at 3500 rpm

Skoda fabia vrs
Haha that's mint so you would say it's worth doing then for the fun I'll get out of the car

172 Turbo
Leave well alone unless you have unlimited funds imo .
If you want a turbo car buy one that was built with one on from factory.
This is absolute nonsense, yes lots of Clio Turbo cars had problems but it is not the same for the ED converted cars.

182 Turbo
Haha that's mint so you would say it's worth doing then for the fun I'll get out of the car
Honestly it's a really hard shout, if the cars up to spec and in a healthy position to be boosted, and you can potentially do it cheaply, absolutely. Even though its only 230 bhp which isnt really considered huge power in todays age at all, theres not many things that can keep up with a boosted Clio around b-roads. And yes, its mega fun.

On the other hand like i said, if it was a high mileage not looked after, gearbox about to go etc it could definitely not be worth doing, imagine having about 100 miles of fun after you've just dropped thousands on the conversion and then you need to start swapping gearboxes etc

Have you ever owned a clio before? do you know your way around them? thats something i consider an important part of boosted Clio ownership, i would say they need a much closer eye on them, dont get me wrong 230/230 is not a HUGE stress to an f4r at all, its quite a reliable power level to be at, and theres plenty of low boost clios that get absolutely abused at track.

I would recommend either buying an already boosted clio, or if you do go down the route of boosting it yourself do a compression and leakage test before hand to see how much wear is on the engine , see how the gearbox feels etc, you could give it to ED and get them to do this and then let you know where to go from there.

Skoda fabia vrs
I'm hoping to get one below 80k miles an well looked after I'll have about 3 grand to spend on the car it's self then the conversation an yes I've owned a 197 for about 18 months an me an my brother shared a rb 182 which I should of kept but needed the money at the time I think I'm going to do it seems like the car will be alot of fun an I know all cars have problems my 197 had quite a few problems would you recommend getting bigger brakes an a lsd?? Thanks by the way for all the information lads

Sheen90

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Turbo
I’m in Shropshire so not much use either but if you’re ever in the Midlands happy to take you out in it.

Golf Gti edition 30
If your getting a clio 182 turbo’d I recommend clioturbo.
O WAIT !!! Sorry...forgot Andy shut up shop when he realised its prob best not being a robbing bodging b@stard and it’d be better to stick at home watching sesame street.
My experience with a turbo’d clio was that it was really quick and fun but always wondering is this the day the engine or gearbox blows up.Had it a year and sold it.Blew up a few months later.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I thought the main issue with turboing a 172/182 was that the chocolate gearbox couldn't handle the torque. They're known for being leak in standard trim, so adding 50% more torque can only mean the gearbox becomes a consumable part.
If turboing is the route you want to take, maybe look into 197 with R26 engine and gearbox. You'll be getting 260-270bhp and a box that'll handle the torque, with a diff. I'm pretty sure there is a guy on the Facebook group selling a nice one for decent money.
Or look at a R56 cooper S, these will tune up to around 240-250bhp with simple bolt on mods and a map.

182 Turbo
I thought the main issue with turboing a 172/182 was that the chocolate gearbox couldn't handle the torque. They're known for being leak in standard trim, so adding 50% more torque can only mean the gearbox becomes a consumable part.
If turboing is the route you want to take, maybe look into 197 with R26 engine and gearbox. You'll be getting 260-270bhp and a box that'll handle the torque, with a diff. I'm pretty sure there is a guy on the Facebook group selling a nice one for decent money.
Or look at a R56 cooper S, these will tune up to around 240-250bhp with simple bolt on mods and a map.
main issue with the jc5's is being rushed into gears , thats alot of the reason why they break getting slammed into gear on track etc, that and the fact that people dont change the gearbox oil, or they do it every 20k or something, when they all weep oil from factory anyway.
a decent gearbox oil every 5k and mechanical sympathy and the jc5 will do fine, best thing about being turbo theres really no need to rush it through gears, you dont need to be at 5.5k to keep momentum like in the standard n/a form.