ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Cup Cambelt

Hi,

My 172 Cup had its cambelt kit done in October 2007 - at 59K miles.
It's now on 94K

Will it need doing this year or can I leave it until next?

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It's due an aux belt at 95k, as it's so near having the cambelt being due, just get it all done at.

cheers guys for the quick replies. Could I take a risk and leave it for another year or will it have perished with ages? Seems to look ok but I guess with rubber belts you can't tell from inspection.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Why all the talk about auxiliary belts? OP was asking about cambelt change intervals wasn't he?

Re the cambelt, as already said 5 years is max. Any more and you're running a material risk of failure. There's been two on here fail in as many weeks recently IIRC.

Your choice, but I know what I'd do.

Why all the talk about auxiliary belts? OP was asking about cambelt change intervals wasn't he?

Re the cambelt, as already said 5 years is max. Any more and you're running a material risk of failure. There's been two on here fail in as many weeks recently IIRC.

Your choice, but I know what I'd do.

Yep completely agree. Not worth the risk IMHO for the sake of getting parts and getting it done this year. Got a bit of time yet still.

Aux belt - if that goes I take it there is no big deal apart from the battery not charging?

HBT 172 Cup
People say if they snap the belts wrap themselves around the crank pulley, jam, slip the timing, snap the cambelt and cause all sorts of carnage.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I love working on Cups - its how they all should be! The Cup belt can still do damage if it gets wrapped around the bottom pulley and whilst it's not as common to slip the timing it is still possible so for £12-18 extra, change it!

SQ5
It can all be done in place without having to take anything extra off.

Changed one on my missus Ph1 with cup conversion the other day.

10 minutes to take off and 10 minutes to refit.