ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 ph1 - starting issue and throttle body behaviour

Clio Sport 2000 PH2
Hi,
My 172 ph2 won't ignite after standing in the garage for a few weeks. It ran perfectly fine before garaging it. Battery is fine and the engine cranks strongly and it continues to crank until I turn off the ignition so it's not the immobiliser that's causing it. I have no warning lights on the dash. The engine started when using some CRC motor starter so the engine ignites at least.

I'm gonna check if fuel is pumped into the cylinders but I would also like to ask how the electric throttle body is supposed to behave. When I turn the key there is the normal buzzing noise from the throttle body. But when I press the pedal slowly to the floor nothing happens with the butterfly until the very end of the pedal stroke when the butterfly opens up more or less completely. Is that the correct behaviour? I thought the butterfly would open up proportionaly with the movement of the gas pedal.

Cheers

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Had a similar problem on my wife's ph1 after being laid up for a while under a cover it wouldn't start. It turned out to be one of the small black relays behind the fuse box. Cleaned up the terminals and ended up replacing all 3 but they're about £20 each from Renault.

Clio Sport 2000 PH2
Had a similar problem on my wife's ph1 after being laid up for a while under a cover it wouldn't start. It turned out to be one of the small black relays behind the fuse box. Cleaned up the terminals and ended up replacing all 3 but they're about £20 each from Renault.
Thanks but it was a bad connection to the fuel pump