ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Has Poor Handling.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Yup, thats what a lad i know who drives a 1.4 polo says.

Apparently hes been watching both 5th gear and top gear reviews and thats what they say. Correct me if im wrong but didnt they have nothing but praise for the 182? Think on 5th gear they said the civic type r slightly outperformed the clio but both were best in class at the time and comfortably outpaced the Focus RS.

Top gear said something along the lines of build quality being shite but said £ for £ you wont get a more fun car.

Ive always thought the 182s handling was its major selling point? Having said that he drives a shagged 1.4 polo, he thinks its imense and claims it can outhandle a saxo vts...which we all know have immense handling out of the box.

O well, pointless post but thought id just give you all a little bit of mild sunday humor

Clio 182.
Hes obviously a muppet. The 182/172 probably had the best chassis of any small car before the 197 came along.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Nothing beats an old shagged 1400 cc polo, i think that may be my next car.

This guy sounds like a bit of a tosser mate.

I owned a VTS before my 172 and, yes it does handle better and the sax was dropped 30mm.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
We all know bein honest that there in no point to prove.

At the end of the day his car is just a small city car with a small city car engine and small city car suspension.

The 182 is designed out and out to be a hot hatch, thats the sole purpose of a 182

Megane 225
The 172/182 will out perform and Civic Type R in handling. My mate has Tein coilovers in his and through the corners he can't catch the 172 with cup suspension!

Audi TT 3.2 V6
The 172/182 will out perform and Civic Type R in handling. My mate has Tein coilovers in his and through the corners he can't catch the 172 with cup suspension!

That could be driver skill to be fair. i'm not the worlds greatest driver nor do i pretend to be but i did struggle with a type r only the other day. i keep meaning to look into some advance driving tuition.

Megane 225
Exactly! Probably because it's the best fun you can have in a hot hatch! They handle stupidly well!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I took my little clio along to a mini run, they all slated it, when i got to the twisties i showed them converted one to, he was gonna get a cooper s but is no looking for a 182!

My mate says exactly teh same about his clio 182 :( he doesn't have the cup packs and says the handling isn't as good as he thought... He used to have a saxo VTR which could explain alot even though I thought a 182 and VTR would be about teh same handling wise...

Could there be anything wrong with his suspension maybe? He's a pretty good dirver aswell...

Adam

Audi TT 3.2 V6
I bet 25% of owners are driving with broken dampers.

Yup...mine had a worn rear shocker when i first got it....incredibly tail happy when taking a hard corner. Much more planted after getting the shocker replaced.

Megane Mk4
I had a standard 182 with no options and it felt planted to the floor and could easily chuck it round the bends, so a 182 with the options or, a 182 cup would be better still..

Take him to the local fish farm and slap him about the face with a very wet kipper, or would that be too good for him? ;)

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I don't think you should be his friend anymore. In fact, kill him. In fact, nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure!

dunno about the sports as ive not driven one yet :p
but my 1.2 extreme has pretty good handling round the corners and thts standard. far better than the 106 i used to have. ive not managed to understeer the clio yet the 106 had a bit on the roundabouts.

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
Wouldn't have thought so - focus is more powerful, and on track the limited slip diff would make the difference.

clio cup 172
My Flatmates girlfriend thinks that my Cup 172 is a girls car and that his ford Ka (that his mum gave him) is more manly..

stupid b**ch

ITB'd MK1
I bet 25% of owners are driving with broken dampers.

Got to agree with that. Shocking number come in for service with leaking rear dampers

Personally I think the clio chassis is excellent but the steering is over assisted just a little. Good handling is subjective anyway though, sometimes people just dont like the way a car works while others love it