ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Not Starting

Evening all,

As per the title really, car won't start this evening.....

The starter motor is doing it's job but the car isn't starting. Was fine yesterday following a couple of hours' driving home (back around 1700), haven't touched the car since then.

Battery & STOP lights remain illuminated.

Had a look in the engine bay & nothing appears to be loose or snapped/broken & a new altenator was installed in January 2017.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Should probably have added that everything electrical appears to be ok. Immobiliser lights go out, stereo/air con etc all come on/operate as they should.

I'm concerned it's the alternator......,

The alternator only charges the battery, it shouldn't affect starting, as I understand it.

Do you have fuel?
Do you have spark?

Get someone to sit in the car while you pull out a coil pack and hold it near to the cam cover - ask them to turn it over and you will be able to see if it is sparking. You should also be able to smell if there is fuel vapour rising out of the cylinder without the coil in the hole.

If there's no spark, could it be immobiliser? Does the light go out? Is it flashing a different pattern? Do you have a second key you could try?
If there's no fuel, can you hear the fuel pump priming / whirring when cranking?

Have you checked all the fuses in the car?

Well, in typical Renault fashion, she sprung to life at the first attempt this evening!!

I'll be getting it checked out regardless, but at least I should be able to get it over to Rentec now it starts.

Thanks to those who have offered help. Stupid Clio.