ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 throttle/pedal problems and limp mode

Clio 182
I just thought I'd share my experience as it may help someone else....

My clio 182 kept going into limp mode whenever the revs got to around 3k Rpm , I read the codes and I was getting a few depending on which code reader i used . My generic lead was showing a throttle malfunction, and a much better unit borrowed from a garage was showing a faulty pedal. After replacing the pedal and the throttle body the issues remained... After many days scratching my head and searching for pretty much none existant wiring diagrams I found out that there is a big white plug that sits under the relays in the engine compartment. Apparently this plug suffers from corrosion.. sure enough pulled out the plug and all the pins had a slight build up on the surface. I sprayed some wd40 onto the pins and cleaned them up with a screwdriver , the fault has cleared and my clio now has no limp mode. If you are experiencing a similar problem and chasing electrical gremlins then this plug is as good a place to start as any. Apparently although i havent checked this the wires from the pedal and throttle body to ecu meet up here.

Battery Nonce

ClioSport Club Member
I just thought I'd share my experience as it may help someone else....

My clio 182 kept going into limp mode whenever the revs got to around 3k Rpm , I read the codes and I was getting a few depending on which code reader i used . My generic lead was showing a throttle malfunction, and a much better unit borrowed from a garage was showing a faulty pedal. After replacing the pedal and the throttle body the issues remained... After many days scratching my head and searching for pretty much none existant wiring diagrams I found out that there is a big white plug that sits under the relays in the engine compartment. Apparently this plug suffers from corrosion.. sure enough pulled out the plug and all the pins had a slight build up on the surface. I sprayed some wd40 onto the pins and cleaned them up with a screwdriver , the fault has cleared and my clio now has no limp mode. If you are experiencing a similar problem and chasing electrical gremlins then this plug is as good a place to start as any. Apparently although i havent checked this the wires from the pedal and throttle body to ecu meet up here.
Is there any chance you could get me a pic of where it is please?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It's a good place to start as it's common but without seeing the data channels you don't know if you've actually eliminated the problem or not.

Clio 182
Yeah that is true , the last fault I had was pedal track 1 and track 2 incoherent as soon as you got anywhere near 3k rpm limp mode would kick in and the management light would come on . After separating the plug you could see that the pins had oxidised and would offer up a fair bit of resistance . Along with my fault code and my understanding of how the drive by wire throttle pedals works , which is measuring voltage differences across track 1 and track 2 to work out the position I am more than confident this was the problem as the throttle pedal works with 5v to begin with there is not going to be any room for additional resisistances within this circuit. Additionally if you just put your foot flat down it didn't seem to occur too often . If you tried to ease the accelerator on or hold it at a certain rpm it would be more likely to happen. Which would again make sense as it is probably just getting away with the information from 1 track. But yes i do admit I havent looked at the live data showing the voltages across the tracks this post was just to give somebody else a start in looking for this fault as with all my searching it took over a week to find out about this white plug and its connection to the pedal etc ..

Last edited:

Battery Nonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that is true , the last fault I had was pedal track 1 and track 2 incoherent as soon as you got anywhere near 3k rpm limp mode would kick in and the management light would come on . After separating the plug you could see that the pins had oxidised and would offer up a fair bit of resistance . Along with my fault code and my understanding of how the drive by wire throttle pedals works , which is measuring voltage differences across track 1 and track 2 to work out the position I am more than confident this was the problem as the throttle pedal works with 5v to begin with there is not going to be any room for additional resisistances within this circuit. Additionally if you just put your foot flat down it didn't seem to occur too often . If you tried to ease the accelerator on or hold it at a certain rpm it would be more likely to happen. Which would again make sense as it is probably just getting away with the information from 1 track. But yes i do admit I havent looked at the live data showing the voltages across the tracks this post was just to give somebody else a start in looking for this fault as with all my searching it took over a week to find out about this white plug and its connection to the pedal etc ..
Did you see my comment above? :kissingheart:

Battery Nonce

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Just a safety precaution as you are messing with the loom of the car and also as you are cleaning the pins if you touch more than one at the same time you will create a short circuit which could potentially damage a lot of other circuits / sensors etc and be a potential fire hazard .

Clio 182
If you don't feel competent in doing this I would ask someone that does to help you as I fear this may end in disaster lol