ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 track advice

Arctic 182
Hi all,

I've recently done a novice track evening at Brands which consisted of about an hours worth of track time split into three 20 minutes slots. It was only my second track experience after doing a 20 minute taster session last year.

Here's one of the slots with an instructor, he was a crazy mofo but a good instructor, much better than a previous one I had! Be gentle, it was only my second time on track.

To ensure that I'm looking after the car apart from obvious oil change and filter what would people recommend I do after a track sesh, brake fluid? Engine coolant.

I'm also after some advice on some cheapish mods that I can do to improve the car suspension wise and make it tighter. Not really after power as it seems that it's going to cost lots of monies.

Car is a 2005 182 on just under 50,000 miles

So far

Stripped interior
Rear cage
Buckets and 4 points
Sport line springs
Braided brake lines
Sabelt wheel
DS2500 pads and Brembo discs
Rs tuner map
Federal rsr tyres on team dynamics 1.2 wheels

I will be looking to buy a Rear ARB and a quick shift. But I've seen threads mentioning updating the engine mounts and dogbone mount and refreshing various suspension components. Bearing in mind the above mods and the age of the car what else would people with track experience recommend as a next logical step?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Straight line speed has never been their forte, but not exactly slow either. You just notice other cars more on trackdays.

Arctic 182
That instructor was nuts cheered me up watching that.
That he was! After an hours worth of tuition i had a major headache, go go go POWERRRRR.
After the end of the session above he jumped out the car and went to have a 'friendly chat' with the RX8 owner for not letting me past, on a few occasions. He was proper getting into it (which is good), previous instructor i had was quite monotone and uninterested..

182 Trophy
Great video lad! Made me laugh especially when he said 'boot it , boot it, boot it!'. Glad you enjoyed it and that's the best things about these cars - they're a really fun and capable drivers car!

Well you seem to be on the right track already. You have done some good starting mods, concentrating on brakes, safety and weight. You have also had some instruction which is great.

If you are still fairly new to trackdays I would probably just try and do a few more with the car how it is and decide for your self what needs improving. The first thing you will probably find the limiting factor on your current setup is the DS2500's. They are a good pad but not really a massive step up from standard.

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Get some decent pads and discs off George from on here. Although a bit dear, well worth it.

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
A damper refresh is worth it and as you have said new engine mounts.
Also worth looking at camber bolts on the front and camber, toe shims for the rear.
But as said go out and have fun and learn the car.then you can work out what needs doing to meet your driving style.

Clio 172 (CUP)
Great video, well done for keeping calm, that instructor is nuts - great to watch, really enthusiastic. Sound advice above.

Jesus, Bradley Walsh certainly pushed you hard on that session. Made me nervous just watching that.
Very well done mate, were you sweating after that? Just goes to show most cars have a similar speed at that track you just need the balls to overtake at speed in your daily runabout

Depending on your mileage but I have HAD to replace the engine and dogbone mount to stop the knocking noise from exhaust. Can still do it in first gear sometimes. If im honest theres not a huge difference in feel or peformance and thats with a vibratechnics engine mount and a poly purple dogbone mount bush so if you dont need it im not sure I would for the cost.

From the video I would say you just need more confidence and practice if anything. I did Brands 5 years ago (first real trackday) and I didnt have tuition just an instructor showing me the lines and I was a bit more confident. "saxo vts vs m3" on youtube if interested

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Looks like so much fun, the instructor putting his hand on the wheel every corner would piss me off after the first few times though.

mk1 Octavia VRS
That's the same instructor I had in the Clio200 EDC when I went to the Brands day with RenaultSport. Quite the character, love his voice though!
Yep sounds like the guy I had when I drove the 200 EDC as well. After I'd driven it I went round as a passenger with him which was quite entertaining!

Edit: next steps for the OP:
1. Drive some more tracks and get some more tuition.
2. Get new shocks all round. Might as well fit camber bolts to the front while you're at it.

Last edited:
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yep sounds like the guy I had when I drove the 200 EDC as well. After I'd driven it I went round as a passenger with him which was quite entertaining!

Edit: next steps for the OP:
1. Drive some more tracks and get some more tuition.
2. Get new shocks all round. Might as well fit camber bolts to the front while you're at it.
Yep same. The boy could pedal!!

Arctic 182
Thanks for all the advice guys. Old girl has just passed the MOT so going to book some more track days.

Guys hand was a bit annoying after a while to be honest but watching back now i can see why he was doing it. His hands were soft tho, which was nice

TRH_Racing

South East - Herts/London
ClioSport Area Rep
Thanks for all the advice guys. Old girl has just passed the MOT so going to book some more track days.

Guys hand was a bit annoying after a while to be honest but watching back now i can see why he was doing it. His hands were soft tho, which was nice
"hands where soft tho, which was nice" .. comment of the week XD

Just keep getting the practice up, more tuition sessions and you'll get smoother and quicker!
Did one at snett in feb and it was awesome, just need to get my timing belts done and ill be back out!
Bit on and off about stripping my 182 tho!

Arctic 182
"hands where soft tho, which was nice" .. comment of the week XD

Just keep getting the practice up, more tuition sessions and you'll get smoother and quicker!
Did one at snett in feb and it was awesome, just need to get my timing belts done and ill be back out!
Bit on and off about stripping my 182 tho!

If it's your daily I wouldn't bother stripping it unless u want a cage.

I commute so only do about 1500 miles a year, mainly short journeys so the noise doesn't bother me that much. But you hear EVERYTHING!

Arctic 182
From the video I would say you just need more confidence and practice if anything. I did Brands 5 years ago (first real trackday) and I didnt have tuition just an instructor showing me the lines and I was a bit more confident. "saxo vts vs m3" on youtube if interested
Nice, just watched it. M3 finally let you go. Your tyres sounded like they took a beating!

TRH_Racing

South East - Herts/London
ClioSport Area Rep
If it's your daily I wouldn't bother stripping it unless u want a cage.

I commute so only do about 1500 miles a year, mainly short journeys so the noise doesn't bother me that much. But you hear EVERYTHING!

This is my daily, i dont mind the noise tbh!
i take the rear section out sometimes and love it

Nice, just watched it. M3 finally let you go. Your tyres sounded like they took a beating!

I was massively inexperienced and my lines were s**t lol

This one from yesterday is better lol

Me and M3's don't get along :smile:

Bare In mind this was my first time at snetterton and first trackday In a long time in the SOAKING wet!