ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Turbo

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Interested to hear how you get on with painting the panel and the wiper arms.

Mine are looking a bit shabby too.

It all depends I think. If they come off I’m confident they’ll come up well. I did all the other front plastics satin black a couple of years back. They’ve done 5000 miles and still look great.

That’s the before and after. I think I’ll stick with satin on these too, the gloss will be a nightmare to keep nice.
IMG_8411.jpeg

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
@Yarp have you thought about a coating on the skuttle?

Gtechniq C4 is ace for that kind of thing. Can do it in situ and it lasts years. Big scrub with some apc first, rinse, dry, then apply and level after. Its amazing stuff

Also, absolutely love how you immediately resort to violence when things dont fit 🤣

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It all depends I think. If they come off I’m confident they’ll come up well. I did all the other front plastics satin black a couple of years back. They’ve done 5000 miles and still look great.

That’s the before and after. I think I’ll stick with satin on these too, the gloss will be a nightmare to keep nice.
View attachment 1690691
The end result looks great above.

I take it that you popped the front bumper off rather than spray them on the car itself? Do the grille sections and fog surrounds pop-out of the bumper itself or are they fixed in place?

Questioning it as I do need a front bumper and bonnet refresh at some point (again). I'd happily tackle the grilles and fog surrounds myself whilst leaving the bumper itself to someone far more talented than I.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I satin black'd my grills etc all in situ about 5 years ago and they've stood up great. Better than the front badge that I took off actually.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
@Yarp have you thought about a coating on the skuttle?

Gtechniq C4 is ace for that kind of thing. Can do it in situ and it lasts years. Big scrub with some apc first, rinse, dry, then apply and level after. Its amazing stuff

Also, absolutely love how you immediately resort to violence when things dont fit 🤣

Violence is always the answer 😂.

A coating is a much more sensible option, I’ll give that a go if it works. The stuff I’ve used in the past has always been crap and not lasted long which was the thoughts behind paint.

The end result looks great above.

I take it that you popped the front bumper off rather than spray them on the car itself? Do the grille sections and fog surrounds pop-out of the bumper itself or are they fixed in place?

Questioning it as I do need a front bumper and bonnet refresh at some point (again). I'd happily tackle the grilles and fog surrounds myself whilst leaving the bumper itself to someone far more talented than I.

Yeah, bumper off and then all the plastic trim just pops out. The fog surrounds are a bit tricky but as long as you’re gentle they come off without damaging any clips. Mine all had trim restorer stuff on so took a few good washes to get clear. I did an alternative rinse of white spirit and fairly liquid until the water stopped beading on them and there were no reactions when the paint went on. Satin seemed to work best. I don’t like the finish of Matt and the gloss was too much.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Violence is always the answer 😂.

A coating is a much more sensible option, I’ll give that a go if it works. The stuff I’ve used in the past has always been crap and not lasted long which was the thoughts behind paint.

Yeah, bumper off and then all the plastic trim just pops out. The fog surrounds are a bit tricky but as long as you’re gentle they come off without damaging any clips. Mine all had trim restorer stuff on so took a few good washes to get clear. I did an alternative rinse of white spirit and fairly liquid until the water stopped beading on them and there were no reactions when the paint went on. Satin seemed to work best. I don’t like the finish of Matt and the gloss was too much.
Not sure on your levels of "detailing" abilities so sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

C4, having used it a few times, can go wrong. Prep is key. Almost neat APC scrub, rinse, dry, panel wipe (if you have it), let that flash off and then apply C4. Grab a couple of cotton buds too as there looks to be some proper tight bits in there (and going off memory of mine). Shout if you want any more advice Mr Yarp!

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Not sure on your levels of "detailing" abilities so sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

C4, having used it a few times, can go wrong. Prep is key. Almost neat APC scrub, rinse, dry, panel wipe (if you have it), let that flash off and then apply C4. Grab a couple of cotton buds too as there looks to be some proper tight bits in there (and going off memory of mine). Shout if you want any more advice Mr Yarp!

Great advice, probably need all the help I can get! I’ll order some and drop a message if I get stuck 👍

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I adjusted the pre-load tonight. It was probably wishful thinking that it would help and it didn’t. I still have ALL the boost 🤣. 20psi+ would be fun but I think it would only be fun once 😂.

I’ll fit the actuator off the old turbo at some point to sort it out.