ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Vs Fiesta ST

Clio trophy
TBH it's up to you.

You can listen to the fan boys on this forum (for both cars) or just get the one you prefer.

Also love the "It's not 30hp more" FLOL f**k off.

my fiesta st put out 163 bhp on a dyno dynamics rolling road as standard, so a clio deffinatly does not have 30 bhp more.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like he lives his life 1/4 mile at a time..

Clio trophy
affbb024704623f65fdf673465607880.jpg

If yo can afford them go for them. There easily the best mod I've done to my cupra. And trust me. Going from that to a 182 the breaks feel very wooden ( the clio has brembo discs and Ferredo pads as well)

dont get me wrong, there as bad as standard fiesta breaks.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
I asked this question 2 years ago and look where I am lol

Never looked back either.

I think you should ask are you a petrol head looking for something fun with some go or are you a sensible person who likes a bit of performance?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
having had both,

the st is miles better in terms of reliability, refinement (its a hatch back so not beemer quality) and as a complete package and day to day car the st is better, and there a bargain at the moment,

however, they need to following as a minimum to enjoy.,

st170 300mm front breaks,
powerflex engine mount bushes,
decent tires,
eibach spring ( there a ford part number )
and the usual decat, flex pipe remap and filter.

this will give you a decent 170bhp to play with., and they will sit all over a clio on any road,

how ever, the boxes are weak, and like to smach the diffs through the casing, they also pop out of second gear, but its a lovely box, and with a raised rev limit they screaaaaam. w**k on fuel, averaged 24 mpg.

the clio, is quicker, gear box is nasty, breaks are poo. ( every one on here who says you dont need 4 pots or brembos on a road car, obviously have never drove one ) the car seems to undress is self of trim and electrical items, driving position is poo aswell.

both good cars, the clio is quicker out the box, the fiesta is a nicer car.

Definitely don't need 4 pots unless your hammering them on from 140 constantly. Driving position does me perfectly.

Gearbox feel is poor but easily improved with dogbone mount and yanoo stiff shift. Great all round car for the price they are.

Clio trophy
Is that yahoo shift worth a look is it. ?

The brembos even with little 305 mm discs simply just don't fade. Offer so much bite and peddle feel. Saying that , the ibiza the brembos are on is 230ish bhp and similar weight to a cup so tis a bit quicker.

I currently drive a 1.2 Clio and have recently bought an ST. Briefly the deciding factors for me in getting an ST over a 1*2 were ,

1) The fact that they are more expensive to buy so are not as common, as all the Maccy d's badman racers down here seem to be buying 1*2s atm.
2) Also the insurance on an ST is a bit cheaper for me.
3) The duratec is more tunable than the f4r if i decide i want more power, although they have less power than a 1*2 to start with so that point is a bit swings and roundabouts.
4) And finally a 1*2 is basically just a quicker version of what i have now so i thought I'd try something different.

Just my opinions don't know whether it helps or not.

M2 Comp
Just drive them both mate and make your decision that way.

I love my ST, I genuinely can't see how people can say they're sh*t. But then I don't base my opinions solely on 0-60 times.......

M2 Comp
Mountune 185 ST V's Clio 182 then?

If we're talking about which would be quicker, I'd say it would be very much driver dependant. Equal drivers I'd say the ST would edge it....

I'd love the Mountune 185 on mine, just wish it didn't involve adding an aftermarket exhaust. They do sound nice, but not sure I could live with it day to day anymore.

Swift Sport
I'd like another go in an ST before I pass comment, especially as speed is no longer a factor for me. I'd get a normal 182 over a Trophy though as I don't think they warrant the extra cash.

2005 clio 1.2 16v
Got to say i own both a have the clio 172 Cup and a fiesta ST mountune its hard to say there both fantastic!! Fiesta corners fantastic but it does have coilovers and i agree with one of the above comments the mountune exhaust is annoying on the motorway lol. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356477811.358653.jpg

My cup.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356477846.524531.jpg

My mountune 185.

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
I currently drive a 1.2 Clio and have recently bought an ST.

4) And finally a 1*2 is basically just a quicker version of what i have now so i thought I'd try something different.

So a Trophy is just a quicker version of a 1.2, well you learn something new every day.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I would just say the ST on decent 16's and some Eibachs feels fantastic with that box and steering. It's ridiculous how much 1" can change a car.

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Is that yahoo shift worth a look is it. ?

The brembos even with little 305 mm discs simply just don't fade. Offer so much bite and peddle feel. Saying that , the ibiza the brembos are on is 230ish bhp and similar weight to a cup so tis a bit quicker.

Just out of curiosity - How much does it cost overall to upgrade the brakes to decent ones? Im guessing £200-£300?

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
I would just say the ST on decent 16's and some Eibachs feels fantastic with that box and steering. It's ridiculous how much 1" can change a car.

Interesting you say that, so what would you say is the optimum wheel size for the 1*2's then?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm I think both the 15's and 16's feel great. 17's on the ST change thing. Strange move imo from Ford but the ZS was on 16's.

I want 16" 2118's. FU Speedline! 15's look great on 1*2s but 15's don't work on the ST.

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Hmm I think both the 15's and 16's feel great. 17's on the ST change thing. Strange move imo from Ford but the ZS was on 16's.

I want 16" 2118's. FU Speedline! 15's look great on 1*2s but 15's don't work on the ST.

Fair enough, I think 16"s also look great on 1*2s! Also in regards to the Trophy - can you lower it on Eibachs? If so is it worth it and how much can you lower it? Imo the Trophy needs ~20mm drop to look perfect!

225 Cup & Williams
Fair enough, I think 16"s also look great on 1*2s! Also in regards to the Trophy - can you lower it on Eibachs? If so is it worth it and how much can you lower it? Imo the Trophy needs ~20mm drop to look perfect!

Yep you can or either Mark Fish springs.

225 Cup & Williams
Slightly lower than sportlines but not by much. They make the ride a bit more forgiving and less body roll too. I preferred the standard springs though tbh.

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Slightly lower than sportlines but not by much. They make the ride a bit more forgiving and less body roll too. I preferred the standard springs though tbh.

If they make the ride more forgiving and less body roll why would you prefer standard springs then? haha :D

225 Cup & Williams
Found it handled better on standard springs imo. Realised this after a trackday on the standard setup then fitting mf springs and rear koni shocks.

Swift Sport
The only concerning thing for me is MPG. If something isn't going to be high tax, insurance or fast, I would want it to be economical too.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Why is it not possible to return 36mpg from 196bhp? Are you carrying extra weight since you modified it?

Nah no extra weight fella although i have put on a few pounds lately lol

U probably could get it on a long run if your gentle

To change the 182 from 16" cup wheels to say 15" turinis or 2118's, do you need to change anything else or can they go straight on?

Probably a stupid question!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
To change the 182 from 16" cup wheels to say 15" turinis or 2118's, do you need to change anything else or can they go straight on?

Probably a stupid question!

Just tyre size, I run 195/50/15. But without lowering slightly I imagine it would look ridiculous.