ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Vs Fiesta ST

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Hi CSers, I don't post much on the forum but i'm constantly reading it! I'm a huge fan of Clios but I really can't decided between getting a Fiesta ST or a Clio Trophy for my next car. If i go for the Fiesta, I can get it a bit earlier as insurance is cheaper on the ST. Should i just wait an extra 6 months and get the trophy? Or get the Fiesta then 18 months later get a Trophy? Im really unsure what to do! Im interested in how different the two cars are.

Can anyone talk from experience of owning an ST or having driven one, really how different they are from a Clio?

Any comments are appreciated, try to be unbiased aswell!!

Thanks

James

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Between an st and a trophy...miles apart mate. Spec alone makes the clio win, the st's are fun to drive, but nowhere near as engaging as a trophy.

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
If its power your after & a nippy car.... the Fiesta ST will dissapoint you. Clio all the way for quickness. And im a ford man through & through, i like quick cars... & the fiesta was a dissapointment, But a nice looking car, inside & out none the less.

My sisters got an st and she loves it but everytime I get in it I think its a nice car but it doesn't excite me. I got very attached to my clio within a few miles, the fiesta feels a bit numb to me. Heated windscreen is very good tho!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lols. Phil Connors.

Buy the Trophy if you're happy to spend more. If you want to have the difference in your pocket but the ST.

clio 182
i had a clio 172 9 years ago and sins then iv had a fiesta st and focus st and the clio keeps up with the focus around bends grate fun if u ent going on long journeys. two mouths ago i sold my 300 bhp focus st to get a 182 as i was only doing a max of 10 mile journeys and i must say im still happy with it and dont miss the st, fiseta st is abit slower but better on long journeys and the clio is faster and more fun to drive. but all to there own do what u think m8 u can allways sell and get the other after

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Trophy all day long fiesta ST's are gutless but are a good car and are quite fun but not a patch on a Clio Sport of any kind

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I've driven both, At length.

Reliability the Fiesta will win, hands down. The gearbox is sublime, if your serious about driving it 16" wheels are a must. The seating position i found was slightly more acceptable, but not much. They are great all round cars and do most things well. Chain driven engines also, so no expensive cambelt exchanges to worry of. Power is limited at 150bhp, but with decent enough mods 200bhp can be perfectly acheivable.

I would suggest the Fiesta Mountune kitted version at circa 185bhp, they feel OEM although i expect a rise in insurance premiums to suit.

All this said, they just dont stir me the same way a 1*2 does, they just have something that bit more special that make me keep coming back!

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
I've had an st for the last 15 months, its a great car but as others have stated it could have done with more power from the factory.

I really like the ST but would probably punt for the trophy if you want something a bit more special.

One point to make... over winter the clio's wont touch the ST for comfort, heated windscreen and heated seats are awesome!

FF Racing Blue 182
I've had an st for the last 15 months, its a great car but as others have stated it could have done with more power from the factory.

I really like the ST but would probably punt for the trophy if you want something a bit more special.

One point to make... over winter the clio's wont touch the ST for comfort, heated windscreen and heated seats are awesome!

heated seats and windscreen if thats all the st has on the renaultsport clio the st must not be up to much

LOL. Gally can smell a 182 Vs ST thread from a thousand miles away.

Stupid old Ford only managing 150bhp from a 2 litre engine. It must be cos they're not as good as Renault.

:p

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
His must be broke or have a leaded right foot as ours returned no less than 32mpg with 190bhp.

All the trip computers must tell porkies just like the trips on the clios lol mines 196 BHP and it reckons im doing 36 MPG.....No Chance

another pal of mine went from a fiesta ST to a Focus ST and he said the focus was better than the fiesta on juice lol

All the trip computers must tell porkies just like the trips on the clios lol mines 196 BHP and it reckons im doing 36 MPG.....No Chance

another pal of mine went from a fiesta ST to a Focus ST and he said the focus was better than the fiesta on juice lol

What you had done for 196bhp? ITBs,cams?

RB 182
As some have already said. The ST is very 'weighty'.. the heated windscreen is top though!

The fact you're questioning whether to wait on a Clio forum makes me think you already know the answer ;)

Smiles all round in Renault Sports mate!

172 cup
i have a 172 cup and st, if i had to pick one it be 172 as more fun but if goin any substancial distance or have passangers id take st as more comfortable reliable etc, 172 is quicker and handles better

RB 182
182 all day long. Drove the ST when looking at buying a Clio. Quite like it but the Clio is so much more exciting and fun to drive

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
As some have already said. The ST is very 'weighty'.. the heated windscreen is top though!

The fact you're questioning whether to wait on a Clio forum makes me think you already know the answer ;)

Smiles all round in Renault Sports mate!

Haha yeah very true indeed! Just wanted to see what people's opinions were. I guess the Clio is more than marginally quicker then, which is what i expected anyway... NOw the wait for a Trophy begins!!

04BGFF182CLIORS
Test drove an ST before buying my last car (a Ibiza FR 20vt) I found it to be very bland, unexciting and slow.

Between the Clio and ST, build quality is pretty much on par IMO, performance wise there is no comparison. Both deliver their power in a similar way, but the Clio is faster throughout the entire rev-range (obviously due to the 30bhp extra...)

For me, Clio, SO much car for the money...

Clio 172 Cup Mondial
the only good thing about the st it actually puts down 145hp-150hp but the clio puts down at least 10 less then claimed. I love my 182 and a friend had a trophy for 2 years sold it and bought a megane r26r and modded it to 290bhp but he still tells me he misses his clio !

My 172 is running 197bhp and still happily returns nearly 40mpg...

BMW M4; S1000 RR
TBH it's up to you.

You can listen to the fan boys on this forum (for both cars) or just get the one you prefer.

People can bang on about Mountune kits but tbh for the few grand you're going to spend on the car, I very much doubt you'll be looking to spend half again just to make it as quick as the Clio. If you want to go as fast as you can for the money in a hatchback then buy the Clio. IMO.

Also love the "It's not 30hp more" FLOL f**k off.

Clio trophy
having had both,

the st is miles better in terms of reliability, refinement (its a hatch back so not beemer quality) and as a complete package and day to day car the st is better, and there a bargain at the moment,

however, they need to following as a minimum to enjoy.,

st170 300mm front breaks,
powerflex engine mount bushes,
decent tires,
eibach spring ( there a ford part number )
and the usual decat, flex pipe remap and filter.

this will give you a decent 170bhp to play with., and they will sit all over a clio on any road,

how ever, the boxes are weak, and like to smach the diffs through the casing, they also pop out of second gear, but its a lovely box, and with a raised rev limit they screaaaaam. w**k on fuel, averaged 24 mpg.

the clio, is quicker, gear box is nasty, breaks are poo. ( every one on here who says you dont need 4 pots or brembos on a road car, obviously have never drove one ) the car seems to undress is self of trim and electrical items, driving position is poo aswell.

both good cars, the clio is quicker out the box, the fiesta is a nicer car.