ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 vs Help me out Peeps!

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

Im seriously considering trading in/selling my 182 and forking out a bit more cash on a Subaru Impreza P1. Got an insurance quote and been given the go ahead to increase my current loan, but still think Im gonna really miss the Clio and its relatively cheap running costs! Have any other people been in a similar situation and if so what are your views on this? £16k for a standard Y plate P1, 18" OZs with only 25k miles is really tempting me.

Help me CS Wan Kenobi...youre my only hope (I have no idea whats thats all about)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

if you can afford one do it but be prepard for more cost i guess! (which you realise anyway!)

i would imagine the P1 would need more regular servicing at a higher cost plus insurance and fuel would probably cost a great deal more.

BUT, you will be getting a massive increase in performance.

the choice is yours!

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 04 June 2005
Get yourself a nice Burberry outfit and your transformation will be complete ;)

lol, I can imagine its like that in the southern hemisphere but up here in cold Cumbria theyre ten a penny! :)

Go for it mate. If you can afford the running costs and accept the stereotypical comments (see above) you wont look back!!.....

........accept to see the Clio you have just humiliated disappearing in your rear view mirror!! ;-)

Mike

trouble is, theyre really nice. i think youd cripple yourself with running costs tho, i know thatd be my stumbling block.

mmmmm two door scoob.

if you can cover the cost, go for it.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

Yeah the running costs are pretty bad. Its the petrol Im worried about most! £25 for around 100 miles. Thats not good Squishy.

7.5k services Min £170 - Max £600+++, 20mpg MAX on super, tyres 7-10k @ £120 - £150 a corner, insurance etc etc etc.

Get one if you can afford it m8 but be prepared for BIG BILLS & BIG running costs. All this is without spending money on modding it ;)

Simon

ps, I had one for 2 years & loved it, had a uk turbo before it & now have a STI8 PPP with extras :) so I consider myself lucky & with the 182 I can at least save a little in fuel & mileage by spreading over the 2 cars.

BMW 120i Sport

My mate has a P1.

The acceleration and performance is absolutely breath taking, i felt the blood in my face being sucked out under accelerating - its fcking rapid! Handling is also good. It looks smart with the two doors and anthracite alloys, finished off in that nice metallic blue paint and front valance.

However.

The interior build quality, i think, is horrible and dated. Very cheap plastic, very Jap, not very comfortable at all and Christ did it rattle. If you think Renaults rattle, just wait until youre in a P1. I couldnt live with it.

When I got back into my 182, I did miss the warp speed acceleration a bit, but I so much prefer the comfort, leather/alcantara, climate control, xenon headlights etc.

In short, if you dont care for the squeeks/rattles, brick hard suspension, high fuel bill and running costs - do it! Its one rapid machine!

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

Quote: Originally posted by Clarkie172 on 04 June 2005
p1s are mint. "DO IT DO IT"

lol, realise this but its the petrol costs thats kicking me in the teeth.

BMW 120i Sport

Arent the Type Rs jap imports? Possibility of more expensive insurance/parts/servicing?

Just a guess.

Quote: Originally posted by Scutchio on 04 June 2005

Im seriously considering trading in/selling my 182 and forking out a bit more cash on a Subaru Impreza P1. Got an insurance quote and been given the go ahead to increase my current loan, but still think Im gonna really miss the Clio and its relatively cheap running costs! Have any other people been in a similar situation and if so what are your views on this? £16k for a standard Y plate P1, 18" OZs with only 25k miles is really tempting me.

Help me CS Wan Kenobi...youre my only hope (I have no idea whats thats all about)
Try the SEAT Leon Cupra R with 225bhp (easily chipped to 270bhp) same 18" OZs wicked Recaro seats (if fitted) Brembo brakes and most of all it wont cost the earth. You can get the yellow one!!!

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

Quote: Try the SEAT Leon Cupra R with 225bhp (easily chipped to 270bhp) same 18" OZs wicked Recaro seats (if fitted) Brembo brakes and most of all it wont cost the earth. You can get the yellow one!!!

Thanks but Id rather cut off my knackers with a blunt penknife from a swamp than buy one of those. There are so many around here and although nice looking cars Ive kinda gone off them due to the numbers Ive seen in recent months. Quick yeah, but if the choice was Leon Cupra R or 182 Id definitely keep the 182, and The P1 is above them both. Running costs aside ;)

BMW 120i Sport

Not to mention that Banana clio scoriching a 270 bhp Cupra at York dragway.

Simply no problem for the P1, huge amounts of traction and 100 mph in 12 or so seconds.

Youd have to be off your head to spend £16000 on a 6 yr old 1st generation impreza IMO. Ive read quite a few stories on SN reference the P1 and it is certainly not uncommon to expect an engine/gearbox rebuild around the 50000 mile marker. The impreza image has gone right down hill since the lexus light crew come along.:(

For £10000, youll get a better car in the type R. What about an Evo 6 RS or makkinen? Supra?? 33 GTR?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

Quote: Originally posted by Mitchy on 04 June 2005Youd have to be off your head to spend £16000 on a 6 yr old 1st generation impreza IMO. Ive read quite a few stories on SN reference the P1 and it is certainly not uncommon to expect an engine/gearbox rebuild around the 50000 mile marker. The impreza image has gone right down hill since the lexus light crew come along.:(For £10000, youll get a better car in the type R. What about an Evo 6 RS or makkinen? Supra?? 33 GTR?

SN are apparently a bit against the P1 from what Ive heard on P1woc. The Type R is a great car yeah, but Id rather have a UK car and the P1 holds its value well and is a pretty impressive car. Id be taking out a warranty from warrantiesonline.co.uk which covers engine failures etc up to £5000 so the fact it could blow means Id be covered and its only £235 a month.
£16k is a lot of money youre right, but for that Im getting a decent package with a great resale value if and when that time comes along. Its mpg cant be far worse than a Clio V6 and they cost more yet a lot of people have them. Just experimenting at the moment, thats all :)

[Edited by Scutchio on 6/4/2005 7:25:04 PM]

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

Ill check up on the Type R now for peace of mind though Mitchy. Suppose money saving on cost could go on insurance. Ill check. :)

It has shorter gearing than the P1 so is far more brutal when accelerating, intercooler waterspray and switchable diff. The panels are lightweight and it doesnt have ABS. I believe you can switch upto 80-20 to rear wheels. The gear throw is also incredibly short! Its an impressive car and is by far the best impreza made IMHO. Best car by far i have driven.

Im not too sure on whether youll get 1 around the X/Y plate though. It might be slightly older S/T/V/W

Along with being 2 doors and quicker than the P1, id save myself the money and buy the type R. The P1 is a fantastic car and an enthusiasts car, its price will never dramatically fall which is always a good point when buying a car. Saying that, i doubt the type R to dip in value either.

if you can get a sti 5/6 type RA lightweight then get that,

ultra short gearing, will leave most things standing, and handle like a dream oh and you get the all important DCCD (driver controlled centre diff) meaning OVERSTEER!!!

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

Why not try the scooby forum

(sorry to say it but)!!!! they could tell you running costs?

Thats all its about at the end of the day. IMO

ANOTHER ONE LEAVING CS???

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

As Ive said on the PM, if you have to ask about running costs its maybe not for you.

As for the Type-R/P1 debate its horse for courses really. The DCCD robs you of ABS and isnt something you can really exploit on the public roads. The suspension is a lot stiffer than the P1 so can be hard to deal with. In terms of acceleration the differences are less than that of a Cup vs a 172/182 so dont let anyone tell you that you will notice any difference. The gear change in the P1 isnt far off that of a CTR, so cant really get any better.

If I were you Id run the P1 with SuperUnleaded(I dont like Optimax) with NF Octane booster. To me the car feels a lot quicker and it also gives you a bit of peace of mind as the P1 was never fully remapped to deal with UK fuel.

Do some home work first. Obviously goes without saying check the car out properly. P1s are renowned for engine rebuilds at roughlt 60k so beware if coming close to mileage and not yet been done!

My mate has one and to be honest he has had the normal probs but loves it, as stated horse for corsas!

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

Id never leave CS. Its a great place to get info and gossip and just because I leave the stable doesnt mean I dont want to be here. Still waiting on my membership coming through and I have no intention of leaving a family!