ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 on aftermarket managment content...

Better than yours. C*nt.
Do we think theres some confusion here over maps and calibrations i.e. the fact that a calibration can contain numerous maps and numerous maps for a single function i.e. boost control? ;)

Entirely possible and is what I was trying to ascertain. I've never tried to claim I'm an expert, merely try to work out where two 'experts' have given conflicting information (not on the same forum).

Thanks for your help in clearing it up!

M

mini-valver

You call me an idiot, then argue my case. Well done. Have a star. :star:

I think you've got the two sides of it mixed up - what you mean is a map is good or bad, then you're correct in the second half in that a map is right or wrong for a given situation. If as Icarus said you run two different fuels then surely you've got two 'good' maps but can run on the 'wrong' one but it isn't a 'crap' map or done by a [word filtered]!

No no, seems clear to me. How's the magma in the core of the earth?

Better than yours. C*nt.
Mike your winding them up that's why!! No need to talk race cars, rally car, bloody flying cars - on the road you fit parts - map the car according too all the requirements- done, sure you can tinker with the map profile but that's just down to preference - as Craig & Dan are saying on a ground level basis the car is either mapped correctly, or not.

I'm asking a question, one's on the defensive because something he said didn't quite ring true (not through trying to mislead, probably through trying to make it simple enough to understand!), one's being abusive, and two are trying to work out how best to explain what I want to know!

Thanks sebby, I knew I could count on you for your constructive input into a matter which I'll openly admit I'm 'out of my depth' - hence f**king asking in a discussion forum! :rolleyes:

Maybe I should go and worship the iPhone and stick Turinis on the Vee. Seems to be all you're allowed to do on here now!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
you have looked like a numpty as even to me, who knows nothing about mapping, you look like you have no clue about what you are going on about.

you post in such an aggressive manner and get everyones backs up when you go to town on the simplest of points. you then wonder why people have a pop?

you need to chill out on the forum tbh. let alone your pointless knock of the mods a few pages ago.

maybe you should go away for 24 hours and chill?

Better than yours. C*nt.
Or just tell everyone their wrong because you cant understand it.

Actually, when someone came in and explained it I thanked them for their help. I can click the report button all night long if you want to continue abusing me for asking questions!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
LOL i saw your reported post. hecne why i am posting in here. tbh, it is you imo that is casuing the issue.

M

mini-valver

Actually, when someone came in and explained it I thanked them for their help. I can click the report button all night long if you want to continue abusing me for asking questions!

Pot kettle black, brother. Click away son, I'm sure you have a platinum plated mouse button just for it.

Better than yours. C*nt.
you have looked like a numpty as even to me, who knows nothing about mapping, you look like you have no clue about what you are going on about.

But, as is regularly demonstrated on here, there are no rules about the levels of stupidity you are or aren't allowed to display! And TBH on a car forum it's a refreshing change for someone to be stupid with regards to a technical aspect than to be stupid about what modifications they should declare!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i don't think anyone is disputing your stupidity, it is just your general forum manners. they suck tbh. you come across very rude. that's all.

Pot kettle black, brother. Click away son, I'm sure you have a platinum plated mouse button just for it.

:eek:

[youtube]pUjh9Id6Id8[/youtube]

And TBH on a car forum it's a refreshing change for someone to be stupid with regards to a technical aspect than to be stupid about what modifications they should declare!

I agree with you. I'm no mapping engineer, you rely on experts for the information on how this works/how its done - in this case there are a few of them floating around in here - listen to them, don't just dismiss them and we can all learn in a top discussion - something that is all to infrequent around here. :)

Better than yours. C*nt.
I agree with you. I'm no mapping engineer, you rely on experts for the information on how this works/how its done - in this case there are a few of them floating around in here - listen to them, don't just dismiss them and we can all learn in a top discussion - something that is all to infrequent around here. :)

Yes indeed - initially however my query was 'dismissed' and batted out because it dared to question an 'expert', rather than answered. It has now been answered/resolved and I know the right words and have a better understanding!

Thanks to all those who have had helpful input into this! (Majority tbh!)

ValverInBits
ah tech debates. :coffee:

Multiple switchable maps is one of the strongest marketing points for emerald. If I were developing a system, I would put it in, not because I thought it necessary, but because people like the idea.
I confess I like the idea and the potential for extra freedom.

2005 Nissan Navara

Multiple switchable maps is one of the strongest marketing points for emerald. If I were developing a system, I would put it in, not because I thought it necessary, but because people like the idea.

Im definately using it on my Astra turbo demo car----400bhp for me, 200bhp for the missus!!!

ValverInBits
Im definately using it on my Astra turbo demo car----400bhp for me, 200bhp for the missus!!!

and correct me if i'm wrong, an insurance work around....... hear me out
Low boost map -> insure @ that bhp
Technically your insured until you flick the switch, which is effectively an extra modification.
Agreed, a grey area, but a nice thought.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Technically your insured until you flick the switch, which is effectively an extra modification.

I'm thinking of the motorsport stuff... Enter at a given bhp/ton class, flick the switch, flick it back!

"No, sir, it's always been that quick - must be the torque!"

2005 Nissan Navara

Yeah i guess...i never put much thought to insurance with my cars tbh!!!

We have the ability to support 128 different calibrations within EC1 but to be honest we really don't see any point. If an engine is calibrated correctly why do you require additional 'correct' calibrations? Multiple boost levels etc. are supported without needing to run from a completely different cal.

When you actualy sit down and discuss why people think they need multiple maps it nearly always comes down to they want to run less boost or they want to deaded off the throttle response, both of which can be achieved with a single calibration!

I've thought about sticking in the option for five or ten cals in EC1 recently purely as a marketing point but I know it'd just cause confusion LOL

ITB'd MK1
When you actualy sit down and discuss why people think they need multiple maps it nearly always comes down to they want to run less boost or they want to deaded off the throttle response, both of which can be achieved with a single calibration!

had this discussion with Mark about 16 months ago when i did his cambelt ;) loves the marketing TBH

ValverInBits
had this discussion with Mark about 16 months ago when i did his cambelt ;) loves the marketing TBH

We did. That we did ;)
I was very close to going elsewhere on management, and after putting some real thought into it, I like everyone else, came to the conclusion that perhaps multiple maps is a feature too far. So I went with emerald for different reasons.

But I stand by what I said. It's a cracking good feature from a marketing pospective, and I think you should put it in matt.....not 128 maps tho, jebus christ just leave it at 3 :D. Especially if it's an easy job.

LOL at Pectel on the T6 we did 2 cals, on SQ6 4 cals, MQ12 has support built in for 16. Every customer calibration I ever saw bar the BTCC stuff contained nothing but zeros in everything but Cal1 LOL

I know someone will get mega confused with what it actualy is as well i.e. stick a load of new boost settings in cal2 then wonder why the engine shuts down on cal 2 when everything else is blank.

Much better I feel to enable multiple boost and/or timing maps within a single calibration and just have a clicky rotary pot to select what map within the cal you want to run!

ValverInBits
Much better I feel to enable multiple boost and/or timing maps within a single calibration and just have a clicky rotary pot to select what map within the cal you want to run!

Fair enough. I agree, the chances of major fail are reduced. But still, it's that rotary pot that people want ;)

I should write a book or something. Gimmick engineering....for the people.

lol!