ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 Paint

Mk3 Megane 250
For the Detailers in here,

What is the paintwork generally like on these cars, hard/soft etc, i know without someone seeing the car its hard to tell. But the general paint job on a clio.

Cheers

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Imo and experience. Hard.

The clearcoat they use from factory is "hardened" like a lot of European models these days.

Mk3 Megane 250
Imo and experience. Hard.

The clearcoat they use from factory is "hardened" like a lot of European models these days.
Cheers buddy, been looking over at DW for a good while, but could never find out anyones experience, i appreciate without a pro assessing it that it could be anything really.

Just got to get myself some bits and bobs ordered, got a spare panel sitting and off i go and tackle the car!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I know Russ has worked on them a lot but most Clio paint i've found to have hard clearcoat.

Mk3 Megane 250
cool, i'll see if he posts in here, if not i'll fire him a pm asking his general experience with them.

Most Renault ID colours are harder, so RB, Liquid Yellow etc. However it's your definition of hard really, as I tackled numerous manufacturer paints in my "career" and found Renaults to be much softer than most, bar Hondas.

Mk3 Megane 250
TBH i just want to take most of the swirls etc out the paint, i would love to try my hand at wet sanding the thing, but i think before i even attempt that, i will go through a good few scrap panels!

TBH i just want to take most of the swirls etc out the paint, i would love to try my hand at wet sanding the thing, but i think before i even attempt that, i will go through a good few scrap panels!

A decent correction, even to 80-85% is what most need. Followed by a decent glaze to fill minor imperfections and deepen the finish.

Mk3 Megane 250
A decent correction, even to 80-85% is what most need. Followed by a decent glaze to fill minor imperfections and deepen the finish.
Yeah thats what i'd like, Been looking at getting some Menzerna Super Finish (PO 106 FA) - Still looking at the numerous Glazes etc, What would be Best for UR Paint?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
A lot of Glazes are very good mate. Ask in here before you order one. :)

Research away. Have you read the Glaze thread?

Mk3 Megane 250
A lot of Glazes are very good mate. Ask in here before you order one. :)

Research away. Have you read the Glaze thread?
Just had a read over, i think i will prob go for the Red Mousse, The last thing i'll be needing is a wax, i know you get what you pay for but will prob end up with some PB Nattys Paste Wax? Whats your thoughts on the PB stuff?

Mk3 Megane 250
Nattys blue lasts, looks great and is easy to apply/remove.

What's your budget chap?
Like everything - cheaps as possible ha ha, although to be fair i will be collecting stuff over time, so its not so bad, my basket is sitting at £60 so far lol

Still to get myself a decent wash mitt, and also drying towel too, oh and iron x and some more billberry lol, the list can be endless :(

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Jd's favourite still.

It's lovely to use.

Chemical guys 50/50 is something I really need to promote more it's a stunningly good wax. The only thing that isn't good about it is the tin! :(

AG HD is another superb durable wax. Cheap on amazon.

Mk3 Megane 250
Jd's favourite still.

It's lovely to use.

Chemical guys 50/50 is something I really need to promote more it's a stunningly good wax. The only thing that isn't good about it is the tin! :(

AG HD is another superb durable wax. Cheap on amazon.
Cheers for the heads up on the AG, that may be in with a shout too, always had AG products and cant fault them, and as you said much chaeper on Amazon than anywhere else i have seen it, INC eBay!

Megane R26
Medium - Hard I find, say 6 or 7 on a scale of 10, with Racing Blue, Ultra Red and Ultra Blue seeming a touch harder.

Mk3 Megane 250
Well, I'm Near enough £50 lighter,

Some Clearkote Red Moose
CG - Blue Hex Pad, CG White Hex Pad
Menzerna Super Finish (PO 106 FA)

Still Need to get some Iron X, and also Some wheel cleaner - Then it'll be time to attack the clio