ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 Vs 1*2

I bought my 197 last july as a daily so i could just use my 172 as a toy & keep it in the garage over winter & tbh its been perfect for what ive needed. ill be using it to drive to glastonbury from Middlesbrough at the end of june too & im sure it will be fine.

Ive owned a Ph2 172, Ph1 172 x3, 182 x2, 197, & for me the 197 is a nicer car to drive, im averaging around 30-33 mpg which isnt as good as i would have got in past 1*2s but it puts a smile on my face so i dont mind.

It did kangaroo on cold starts when i first got it but ive always ran it on 99ron fuel since & it stopped doing it.

Ive had the rear brakes stick on over winter due to the handbrake cables freezing, the exhaust flexi has started to blow which seems another common fault with the 197s, apart from those two things mine has been fine, ive just done routine serving had the belts done on the 5yr mark at rstuning.

In regards to 197s being quicker or slower than a 1*2, against my mates quick Ph1 172 my 197 is slightly quicker in a straight line, but when my Ph1 was still n/a its was alot quicker than another mates 197 so make of that what you will.

All the the RS clios ive owned have all seemed about the same in terms of quickness apart from my current ph1 which was abit of a freak when it was still n/a it was defo a strong engine. You can defo carry more speed through the corners in the 197 though.

Last edited:

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Cheers for response Craig - and everyone else with helpful contribution to the thread, btw what exhaust you running on your RB mate? And is there anything major to look out for on the 197s when buying?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
So basically, Trophy is king but it's based a 15year old car now. It depends how comfortable you want to be.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
In regards to 197s being quicker or slower than a 1*2, against my mates quick Ph1 172 my 197 is slightly quicker in a straight line, but when my Ph1 was still n/a its was alot quicker than another mates 197 so make of that what you will.

your ph1 was a freak!

...as you pointed out in your post lol