ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio bike rack?

i need a new bike rack for the clio, it will only need to carry max of 2 bikes. Whats people's suggestions?

roof or boot mount? dont really want to be spending huge amount, will only be used occasionally.

Halfords?

Ta, Dan.

tiTTy & SV650
roof is much more expensive, but I prefer it.

check out skidrive website for part numbers and try ebay for the individual parts IMO. Thule is good, but Renaults own stuff may be worth a look.

M2 Competition
Dan,

With the wheels off, can easily fit two mountainbikes into the back of the clio.

Just fold the seats forward and put a sheet down. Can fit the rest of your cycling gear in too.

Will spend more time fitting the roof rack, and then getting the bikes onto it and strapped down, than you would popping em in the back.

Dan,

With the wheels off, can easily fit two mountainbikes into the back of the clio.

Just fold the seats forward and put a sheet down. Can fit the rest of your cycling gear in too.

Will spend more time fitting the roof rack, and then getting the bikes onto it and strapped down, than you would popping em in the back.

yeah, thats the cheap option which seems favourable at the moment lol

R35 GTR
Dan,

the thule roofrack i have takes less than 20 seconds to get bike on or off. Only time consuming bit is fitting the roof rack which takes no more than 5 minutes, longer if you clean the roof first.

Lots of Alfas
I'd go with the roof, and in my experience the only roof bars that fit properly is the Renault ones as the Clios have wierd shape roofs. I used one on my old clio (crap pic):

04122005.jpg

Get a pair of fold up bikes...

To match your hat, better still fit a rack to the Elddis Avanté ;)

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
id never ever ever ever put my bikes on a bike rack ive seen it go wrong far to many times on the roof maybe but its aload of hastle seats down wheels off put them in the back ive had 3 bikes and 3 people in mine was a squeez but we got in lol.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
oh ffs dan youll want a nice discrete towbar next, do you have a panama hat for the shelf too.....

Yeah, laugh now. But wait til you're middle-aged and you've got a bald patch that gets sun burned. Then you realise why we carry a hat in the car.

MK1 monster
i work at Thule UK i would advise roof mounted on the clio as with a spoiler on the back unfortunatly you cant have a rear mount system it doesnt fit properly!

Z4 Roadster
yup, as I found out when I came to fit my universal rear mount!! doh!!!

not got round to getting a roof rack tho :(

tiTTy & SV650
you certainly don't have to drill any holes, the thule systems are modular.

You'll need a footpack, a kit for the clio, roof bars and a bike carrier.

kit is specific to the clio and provides the correct shaped ruber feet for the roof.

footpack, this is the but that the kit mounts onto and onto which the cross bars mount.

bike carrier - does what it says, and mounts onto the cross bars.

Always wash the car before fitting IMO and put some clear sticky pads on the roof where the kit would sit as it will scratch.

Also be aware of the clio's tin like roof, small dents will probably appear.

Dan,

Plus there less likely to get damaged or stolen.

:)

Lots of Alfas
You dont have to drill holes with the Renault rack. They come with a key the goes in the side that you turn to lock them onto the roof sills, the more you turn the key, the tighter inwards they go. Its a very good fit imo.

BMW 320d SE
You dont have to drill holes with the Renault rack. They come with a key the goes in the side that you turn to lock them onto the roof sills, the more you turn the key, the tighter inwards they go. Its a very good fit imo.

Yeah I have Reanult roof bars too Dan, and there absolutely fine. God knows why someone on here thought you had to drill the roof! They're a 5 minute job to fit, and I got them off ebay for £50. I've got a Thule VeloVise bike carrier which goes on the roof bars - you remove the front wheel, then the carrier locks on to the front forks with a key - it even has a cut-out for the front disc-brake caliper too.

If you want, I'll bring them along on Saturday and you can have a butcher's if you'd like?

My trusty lil 182 :)
As said by others, defiinitely recommend Thule rack. Fits perfectly and holds bike really well. Before that had a Paddy Hopkirk high rise rack from Argos! Worked fine but blocked the rear wiper (right pain in the arse if you forget, left your wipers on and wnet into reverse!!) plus annoyed me not being able to use the boot once it was on.

DSCF1198.gif

Clio Billabong 1.2
As said by others, defiinitely recommend Thule rack. Fits perfectly and holds bike really well. Before that had a Paddy Hopkirk high rise rack from Argos! Worked fine but blocked the rear wiper (right pain in the arse if you forget, left your wipers on and wnet into reverse!!) plus annoyed me not being able to use the boot once it was on.

DSCF1198.gif

What model Thule bars are they?
I'm only going to use them for my surfboards, so I wont need the curved bars at the top.
How much just for the bottom bars?

Clio 182
I'm looking for a bike carrier myself at the moment. I've been putting my bike in the car, touch wood i've not yet but I can see myself damaging the seats accidently one time. Also I can't have people in the back. Plus with winter coming up and I want to do some offroading I don't fancy getting mud all over the inside of the car!!