ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio randomly died! Please help, Urgent, Thanks

Coilovered Clio Dynamique
Hi, my auntie has a 1997 Clio RN 1.4 Energy Automatic. We bought the car a couple of months ago and have had no problems untill today. She was driving along the road and the engine stopped, just randomly died. My dad and I went along to help her and the car wants to tick over but there is nothing happening. We just chacked the distributor cap and the plugs but can find nothing wrong. Can anyone help please give me some advice?(ps my aunt said something about the "auto" light on the dashboard and i was wondering if that had anything to do with it)

Thanks

Stewart

Last edited:
  ValverInBits
pull the HT leads off the plugs. Rest the HT lead on the plug, then move then end away from the plug and see/hear if it's sparking on turnover.

If it's not a spark problem then It'll be a fueling problem probably (super rare)

MERCEDES CLS AMG
If its an automatic your in trouble - they run the infamous MB1 box which are renowned for failing. Get it diagnosed on an XR25 Renault computer - prob be the box thats failed or the hydraulic distributor

Cheers guys, it may be something simple such as gearbox oil but i just dont know! The cars only a wee runabout but i need to get her back on the road ASAP

At first i actually thought scrap yard but its too good of a wee car and has had too much work done on it recently!

Getting a bit worried now, just found out the "auto" light on the dashboard came on before the car clunked through all 3 gears and came to a halt. Plus we just tied the car to the back of a vectra and towed it in "N" for 4 miles. Is it true though that you can't tow an automatic without damaging it?