ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cliosport Photography Challenge Round 14: Texture

Congrats to Anim@l for his victory in the last round with his image depicting the theme 'Night'

365988830_PZMwi-M.jpg

The next subject, chosen by him is:

Texture

Comp runs from now until midnight Sunday 21st September. Any photos entered must be taken between now and midnight September 21st.

Rules:

- Post a maximum of 3 images at one time, you can come back with more pics if you have tried something different, but please stick to 3 pics max each time.

- You must flag one image as your entry, feel free to repost your chosen image towards the end of the comp with 'entry' above it, this will be placed into a new thread at the end of the alloted time for people to vote on.

I will no longer be automatically taking the first image somebody posts, only images with entry clearly written above or below it will be accepted

- Try to keep posted images to a max of around 800px wide.

- No rules on photoshop use etc, but this is first and foremost a photography contest, not a photoshop contest.

- All images entered must be taken within the dates of the competition specified above.

- Winner chooses next subject

Ian

Focus TDCi
Lol, didn't see the last one finish, congrats on the win! Should be plenty of entries tbh, can be applied to pretty much anything!

FF Blackgold 182
Cheers mate. I thought that "Texture" is suitably challenging, but yet broad enough to get a good variety of shots. Doubt if i'll be able to get out at all and take anything myself, but we'll see. :)

Ian

Focus TDCi
Hopefully a bit of inspiration.
Previous winning photos (apologies if my sp&g is off, or details are incorrect, I'm tired!):

01. Kitchen
Winner: No winner/ pilot round?

02. Yellow
Winner: big_peaches
257513940_yjYce-M.jpg

03. Capture The Effects of Modern Industry on Wildlife
Winner: planetx
267682603_yaNW7-L.jpg

04. Spring Landscapes
Winner: Kris86, James.
272979442_T37NL-M.jpg

272979346_acynS-M.jpg

05. Sky / Clouds
Winner: planetx
280469200_RWaGk-L.jpg

06. Old & New
Winner: andywright182
287418035_2EZYd-M.jpg

07. Macro / Close-Up
Winner: andywright182
295576225_RQ9Nv-M.jpg

Ian

Focus TDCi
08. Black & White
Winner: J0sh
303924992_8Jc7z-L.jpg

09. Body Parts
Winner: WilT
312281071_ncq8w-L.jpg

10. Motion
Winner: Schweppy
324016068_jRR6b-L.jpg

11. Running Water
Winner: Jezz
333963217_HnDEq-M.jpg

12. Graffiti
Winner: AndyRS, halfpint
347264212_hTZK7-M.jpg

347264378_Q7wev-L.jpg

13. Night / Reflections
Winner: Anim@l
365988830_PZMwi-M.jpg

Ian

Focus TDCi
Ok I'll keep this moving. This is my entry for now, but I'll hopefully replace it:

ENTRY

DSCF1489-1.gif

Ian

Focus TDCi
I was just thinking of anything that makes you want to touch it lol.

I took that photo of the teddy cos you have about 6 different materials/surfaces in one shot, although compared to the other photos it looks a little washed out, so may have to come up with a new one.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Haha, nice one Gaz. My explanation was entirely innocent, lol. Looks like I definitely need to brush up on photographic technique anyways.

What's the purple flowing out of the rock, aucky? And have you been trying to smoke pine cones again? :)

Looks like we could have another good round on our hands.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Haha, nice one Gaz. My explanation was entirely innocent, lol. Looks like I definitely need to brush up on photographic technique anyways.

What's the purple flowing out of the rock, aucky? And have you been trying to smoke pine cones again? :)

Looks like we could have another good round on our hands.
Guilty lol. it was a bit sooty.
The purple stuff is just candle wax..

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225

Yeah yeah they all say that ;) lol

i was just wondering that, looks like alien blood not that i no what alien blood looks like, lol

Ian

Focus TDCi
I think alien this hypothetical alien blood gives a slightly more charming angle to the photo, but I'll settle for candle wax. Alien candle wax.

Right fellas I need some help if you don't mind. Been following Chris/ukaskew's advice on DOF etc and you both seem to have achieved it, but for the life of me I can't get a decent blurry background. I've set the aperture to it's widest of 3.5 and I can only assume that my focusing sensor-y type thing is picking up the wrong thing? Obviously not gonna get it in the teddy shot really, but whatever I try seems to fail.

I will of course understand if you don't want to help, because I'll undoubtedly win the competition, save for the interference of sub-standard hardware. Ahem. We can dream, but I wouldn't mind some advice!

Ian

Focus TDCi
I can't submit this as i took it earlier in the year, but this says "Texture" to me.

tree.gif

Really like that photo. It gets across the point I was aiming for about being almost able to reach out and touch it.
Like they say pictures.. 1000 words etc..

FF Blackgold 182
Right fellas I need some help if you don't mind. Been following Chris/ukaskew's advice on DOF etc and you both seem to have achieved it, but for the life of me I can't get a decent blurry background. I've set the aperture to it's widest of 3.5 and I can only assume that my focusing sensor-y type thing is picking up the wrong thing? Obviously not gonna get it in the teddy shot really, but whatever I try seems to fail.

I will of course understand if you don't want to help, because I'll undoubtedly win the competition, save for the interference of sub-standard hardware. Ahem. We can dream, but I wouldn't mind some advice!

You could probably get a blurry background on that teddy tbh. It depends how you frame the shot and what you focus on. In the shot of the tree trunk, i was nearly hugging it and looking straight up. (getting some very strange looks as well :eek: lol) What kit you using?

Ian

Focus TDCi
I'm just using a standard Fuji S5700. The specs are as shown here:

http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/consumer/digital/digital-cameras/d-slr-long-zoom/finepix-s5700/Specs

I'm holding off on getting a D40 or anything like that, because I've not spent enough time getting up to a decent standard yet. Also, I assumed that with the background being so close to the teddy it would be almost impossible to differentiate between them in such a way as to single out the teddy?

I'll probably end up down at the nature reserve tomorrow or something, best way is through practice I guess. Won't mess up this thread with my questions!

Last edited:
  EP3 Civic Type R
My first entry and one of my first shots with an SLR camera. I have many mountains to climb before I get close to you lot, so it seems!

Explaination- basically, I feel out of all my shots so far, this encapsulates 'texture' - the rough, weathered wood, the barbed wire fence and the soft reeds and grass behind this.

Re-sized, to host on here... I have a hi-res version.

fishingdrowing-compentry.jpg

EP3 Civic Type R
Tha's my old man.. completely unintentionally in the way- for once I'm happy he was!

You will struggle to get a really shallow DOF with a fixed lens camera (or any point and shoot) due to the way they are built.

Best way to create DOF, and a blurry background (beautiful bokeh), with a point and shoot is to use the long end of the lens and zoom in on your subject, and if appropriate use the macro setting on the camera to enable focusing at close distance.

See the following link for a practical example:

http://digitalphotographyblogs.com/2006/08/11/point-shoot-depth-of-field-part-ii/

Cheers

Paul

Last edited:

Ian

Focus TDCi
Nice one Paul, cheers for the info. Not going to get a chance to experiment for a few days and then I'm without the internet so at least there will be someone to prop up the votes :). Onwards and upwards hopefully.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Ok couldn't resist, so had a really quick mess. Nothing special, but slightly improved:

DSCF1506-1-1.gif

DSCF1522-1.gif

New Entry
DSCF1516-1-1.gif