ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilovers Back to Springs?

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone gone back to Shocks/Springs from having Coilovers for road use?.
Cant comment on said question but I had another 182 with grams sport springs, standard everything else apart from some refresh here and there. Compared to my ast coilover, strengthened adjustable wishbone 182 it was honestly great, very surprising how little roll it had and it was quite comfortable. Could push much harder than I thought would of have been possible.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Thats interesting mate as i keep thinking a decent spring & damper set up would be better for fast road use.Other question is how low do these springs go?.as currently have 15inch wheels,but i do still have my turinis.Have you any photos please? @Beauvais Motorsport

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
What coilovers are you on Steve? My 182 was on standard cup pack when I got it, and cooksports springs made it much worse. The B14's were like it was cup packed but with the ride height exactly where I wanted.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
What coilovers are you on Steve? My 182 was on standard cup pack when I got it, and cooksports springs made it much worse. The B14's were like it was cup packed but with the ride height exactly where I wanted.
On B14s mate,maybe there just to old now.They have seen a lot of miles and were also on my cup.

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Grams springs with new cup campers, 16mm front spacers 10mm rear.

IMG_2199.JPG

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I think i will try the Grams springs and look into Koni dampers maybe,were see.

So much better on the road now then?.no skipping about etc
The Eibachs still crash occasionally compared to the original springs, which I had on my Black Gold car. To be honest you only have to fit the wrong tyres and the ride goes to s**t.

I had AD08Rs fitted once and it tried to throw me off the road. The tramlining was awful. Since running PS3 195/45/16 or even 195/50/15s, the car behaves itself. Renault really fine tuned everything on these cars.

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
My asts were originally 90f/110r nm spring rate and it was back breaking, but damn did It corner! I changed to 80 front and lowered the damping and did lose some front end grip but made it a bit more bearable on the road. Im going to put the 90 fronts back on when @Touring_Rob has a little go and stiffen the dampers :LOL:

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
The Eibachs still crash occasionally compared to the original springs, which I had on my Black Gold car. To be honest you only have to fit the wrong tyres and the ride goes to s**t.

I had AD08Rs fitted once and it tried to throw me off the road. The tramlining was awful. Since running PS3 195/45/16 or even 195/50/15s, the car behaves itself. Renault really fine tuned everything on these cars.

If you were near kent Id say have a drive in mine so you can see how straight it drives. Thats cup racer bushes, solid lower joint and manual quick rack for you...

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
My asts were originally 90f/110r nm spring rate and it was back breaking, but damn did It corner! I changed to 80 front and lowered the damping and did lose some front end grip but made it a bit more bearable on the road. Im going to put the 90 fronts back on when @Touring_Rob has a little go and stiffen the dampers :LOL:
I ran 70/70 on my ASTs because @Brigsy told me it would be compliant on the road. 😂

He’s young, fit and built like a brick s**t house, I’m old and portly 😂

Went up to tan hill with the missus and it was horrendous.

I’m putting the ASTs on my new circuit car and going 80 front, 100 rear.

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
I ran 70/70 on my ASTs because @Brigsy told me it would be compliant on the road. 😂

He’s young, fit and built like a brick s**t house, I’m old and portly 😂

Went up to tan hill with the missus and it was horrendous.

I’m putting the ASTs on my new circuit car and going 80 front, 100 rear.
Mine is I assume heavier so I reckon that setup will be perfect!

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Mine is I assume heavier so I reckon that setup will be perfect!
I hope so. I used to run Spax 750mc controlled suspension on my last circuit car. They’re 740 lbs front and 450 rear. The dampers aren’t as good as AST hence the heavy springs rates in the front. I’ve asked a few racers who I know about their set ups and 80/100 seems to be the way to go. The springs are cheap enough to upgrade so I can always play around with it once it’s all set up.

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
I hope so. I used to run Spax 750mc controlled suspension on my last circuit car. They’re 740 lbs front and 450 rear. The dampers aren’t as good as AST hence the heavy springs rates in the front. I’ve asked a few racers who I know about their set ups and 80/100 seems to be the way to go. The springs are cheap enough to upgrade so I can always play around with it once it’s all set up.
Hope it works out for you mate!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
On B14s mate,maybe there just to old now.They have seen a lot of miles and were also on my cup.
Yeah they don't last forever unfortunately. I've got a set of cup dampers that were new on my car and ran for about 18 months you can have cheap if you decide that's what you want to try.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah they don't last forever unfortunately. I've got a set of cup dampers that were new on my car and ran for about 18 months you can have cheap if you decide that's what you want to try.
I still have mine that i took off when i got the clio,but i need to double check if there cup dampers.If not i will send you a txt mate thanks

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
They'll be half of the problem. Change to standard top mounts on coilovers and it'll be transformed

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
If you're putting used stuff back on, is there any point? I'm not sure you'll gain a huge amount, and OEM dampers wear out pretty quickly in my experience, especially if the car is lowered.

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Just thought Id say I'm going to have my asts rebuilt soon as found a fairly local place that have rebuilt the exact 4100 ast model before. They will make sure they are suited for the spring rates and test them etc. Decided to give some life back into the clio and keep it.

Clio 182
When I did a refresh I went for cooksport springs and (cup dampers) just because they were a touch cheaper than anything else.

Seem good, but I can bottom out with 4 people in the car now.

Previously had eibach sport which previous owner fitted.
1000020595.jpg
1000020596.png

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Asking here rather than making a new thread - has anyone compared Cup shocks with the Koni adjustables? I've done perhaps 10,000 miles since replacing the cup shocks and am looking to get the Grams springs. Wondering whether to go for the Koni's from Kam Racing whilst I've got it in bits...

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
I have the koni rears,as i bought them to replace the old billies.But ive just bought grams springs and will also be getting a pair of the front adjustables,must be better than the cup dampers @JimF

Clio 182
Would be nice if those fancy Sachs dampers (or a decent knock off version) were available. I would have gone for them.

I know coil overs are an option, but to be honest, I can't be arsed setting them up properly. Would take me ages to set up properly.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
For me, I don't have enough skill, trackdays planned, or free cash to splurge on ASTs. Especially with the upkeep they need.
That said, the pricing makes you think...
Grams springs are £144
If you were to pair them with Koni Yellows (at £644) thats £788
BC Racing coilovers are £1000-£1200
Gaz Golds are £1400
It does seem a decent option. Also, its not like I'll be changing the damping settings every day, I just want to be able to tweak. But is that really going to be £650 better than the Cup shocks I already have?

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
I know exactly what your saying,this did cross my mind also.I also dont use mine on track or even looking to.So im just putting it down to what set up is best for road use.Coilovers are great,if you spend money on a decent set,but then there more focused for track use with a harder spring rate.So if i did go the BC route i would have to look at what spring rates to have for on the road @JimF

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
It's worth noting that a lot of companies will do custom setups. Doesn't @frayz have custom spec ASTs on his car? I've had some dealing with Gaz in the past and they would do custom rate springs and dampers.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
It's worth noting that a lot of companies will do custom setups. Doesn't @frayz have custom spec ASTs on his car? I've had some dealing with Gaz in the past and they would do custom rate springs and dampers.
Yeah he does but has more exspensive coilovers on & ive had Gaz in the past & did not like them.

The thing is,its not going on track.Just Road use etc.

I know BC do a softer spring rate.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
A good spring with new dampers is much better on the road than a lot of coilovers on a light car like the clio, only the very best coilovers are worth fitting imo, otherwise there too hard, crashy and make the car skip when you hit any sort of bump when pushing on, makes driving fast on our roads very difficult and a lot of times unpredictable, bit like having a car on the ground low, track yes, road no way, horrible to drive

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Asking here rather than making a new thread - has anyone compared Cup shocks with the Koni adjustables? I've done perhaps 10,000 miles since replacing the cup shocks and am looking to get the Grams springs. Wondering whether to go for the Koni's from Kam Racing whilst I've got it in bits...
I had konis with cooksport springs on my Ph1 before I changed to ASTs. They were much better than the cup dampers I had on before them.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Yeah he does but has more exspensive coilovers on & ive had Gaz in the past & did not like them.

The thing is,its not going on track.Just Road use etc.

I know BC do a softer spring rate.

Why didn't you like the Gaz? When I spoke to them, a set with custom rates weren't really any more expensive than standard, so might be worth looking into.