ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Combining JMS RS2 with Boost? Possible?

A'Booo 172
Just wondering if anyone has combined a JMS RS2 inlet manifold with some form of boost setup?

I can only imagine a few possible problems with combing the two,

1) With the inlet not being built for high pressures it could leak/break?
2) Turblance
3) No extra power gains

Lets add the senario:
172 f4r block, Jms rs2 inlet, supercharger, 8psi boost... Anyone think of any problems or do not's?

Now Sold :-(
I believe Tom was looking into this before JMS closed. The manifold was never designed to be subjected to + pressure so was untested in that respect.
I don't think it even got beyond finding a way to mount the MAP/Inlet Temp sensor so it wasn't immediately blown out once + pressure was achieved.

HBT 172 Cup
On the flip side, I can remember them saying the manifolds themselves were very strong and would take boost no problems.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If it's never actually been done there is only one way to find out

HHfight.jpg

330i. E30 Touring.
Positive pressure is untested i believe. Would imagine there would be ways of overcoming all of the potential issues. it's just costs.

A'Booo 172
Turbulence decreases air flow and predictability causing bad maps and loss of potental power so it was a good thing to assume in my books, but clearly I was wrong so thanks for ruling out turbulence.

Can anyone else vouch for RS2 taking boost pressure before I blow mine up?

I'm a bit skint due to buying all the bits and I still need injectors, ecu, smaller radiator and a couple more silicone bends... Then a map, then looking into building a block strong enough to hold all the power rather than blowing up 500miles later

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Keep your eyes on Michael Woodford's turbo project thread, His will be running an RS2 boosted, aiming for the 350/400bhp mark!

Few changes have been made, mainly to the MAP & AIT bosses, I wouldn't recommend it on a standard N/A built RS2 Intake manifold

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Can't see it being worth it? If you already have RS2 it would make more sense to sell that on to subsidise the cost of the charger setup.

Last edited:

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Surely it wouldn't be too hard to get it pressure tested to ensure it can withstand + pressure? To be honest unless your going to be running massive boost I can't see how there would be a problem.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The carbon will be fine for moderate boost, its incredibly strong, its not the usual cheap crap most car parts are made from.

The issue is that if its an N/A built RS2 it uses push fittings forthings like the map sensor, like the standard manifold does, which are designed for the inside to always be equal or lower pressure than atmospheric, so they can pop out if you pressurise it, thats only a case of the need for retaining them in some manner though and hardly the end of the world.

I think you'll get a really nice response to boost with one, if you look at most decent turbo cars they run a similar shared plenum arrangement rather than the long seperate runners on the standard inlet.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Surely it wouldn't be too hard to get it pressure tested to ensure it can withstand + pressure? To be honest unless your going to be running massive boost I can't see how there would be a problem.

How do you intend to do that?

If you mean just pump a bar of air into it and go "oh look it didnt blow apart" then yes very easy but also very pointless, its the continual pulsing that causes plenum failures normally.
I know of quite a few "custom" plenums made for other cars (normally in ally) that have been fine for 2+ bar of boost for a few K miles, but even on far less boost have still failed on high miles due to the fatigue from the pulsing effect.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
How do you intend to do that?

If you mean just pump a bar of air into it and go "oh look it didnt blow apart" then yes very easy but also very pointless, its the continual pulsing that causes plenum failures normally.
I know of quite a few "custom" plenums made for other cars (normally in ally) that have been fine for 2+ bar of boost for a few K miles, but even on far less boost have still failed on high miles due to the fatigue from the pulsing effect.

But the OP will only find this out after using it in a real world situation, all I was suggesting is that there are ways of testing it will hold boost. Until someone uses this setup, we'll never really know will we?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
But the OP will only find this out after using it in a real world situation

Indeed.

all I was suggesting is that there are ways of testing it will hold boost. Until someone uses this setup, we'll never really know will we?

Indeed, I was just pointing out what an inconclusive test that actually is, I would hate anyone spending their money thinking they had tested it when they hadnt.