ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Congrats to DanPl6 on cracking 200bhp (rs2 + 197 cams)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm blaming Chip. The phone call went along the lines of "192 mate!" "Really? Could well be 200 in there then..." "Well lets see."

And the Convo after the first run..
B327E25F-F8E3-46DD-8242-1DF8A7408F3D-278-0000002F62C489AD.jpg

Last edited:

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Congrats! Bet your well chuffed. Can't imagine how it must drive!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
How come it's not mapped for 99?

Because its stupid to map a road car for a fuel thats not always available and quickly degrades IMHO.

If it was a race car then fair enough, but its just Dan's run about for getting to work and back in and doing the odd trackday.

53 Clio's & counting
Probably because everywhere sells 97 so easier to get :)

I have driven this car, and it does pull very well, and it's spooky how linear the power is - it just doesn't want to stop pulling!

Will be good to compare it to the S2000

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
somebody just got 200bhp with 438's and matched inlets, making the rs2 pointless. "waits for torque spread chat etc etc......"

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks Daz, that really shows the difference, given that yours and Dan's drove so similar to start with :)

53 Clio's & counting
we all need to remember how different one F4R is to another - one engine makes 175bhp / 155 lb ft as standard, where another makes 160bhp / 145 lb ft.

Comparing car to car / mod to mod will always happen but is largly pointless

Everyone has their own views remember guys, we are all entitled to them, and we are prefere different things - lets not forget that :)

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
somebody just got 200bhp with 438's and matched inlets, making the rs2 pointless. "waits for torque spread chat etc etc......"

Soon as I saw you'd replied, I knew it'd be a negative comment.

well done on the result, really wish I still had a 172 so I could have a play with a RS2

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

If all you want is a peak figure as cheaply as possible then I agree, all you need is a set of 438s and a generous rolling road and you are sorted, no need to spend RS2 money.
That car was already linked to on the first page of this thread by the way.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Brilliant, was surprised at how long it took a mong to come in here to say something stupid.

I dont see why people are beating up on him quite so much TBH, he has a perfectly valid point that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

However the way that Dan went for has delivered exactly what he wanted so Im sure he is pleased with it, just like im sure the lad with the 438s is pleased too.

Both still too laggy comapred to my car though of course, lol

Megane r26
I dont see why people are beating up on him quite so much TBH, he has a perfectly valid point that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

However the way that Dan went for has delivered exactly what he wanted so Im sure he is pleased with it, just like im sure the lad with the 438s is pleased too.

Be careful what you say Danlp6 will be blaming you for making him by the relevant turbo conversion parts ;)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)

nice edit ;)

Because Chip, that debate is so old and boring yet people still need to say something. This thread for me is about showing that there's way of further improving the RS2 and also trying to sort other ways of pushing it even further.

Just trying to cause another stupid argument, one that's not needed.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes I see your point Nick, in that the whole "uprated inlet or uprated cams" debate is a very old one, bottom line is bit of both is the answer, whether that be a mild inlet upgrade with some porting and then some fairly hot cams like 438, or whether it is a mild cam upgrade like 197 and then a fairly hot inlet like an RS2, or all out and go wild cams and bodies, mods work best when they complement each other :)

Cams and matched inlet gives higher peak torque but not a great spread, RS2 gives great spread of torque but not as high peak figure, personally on a box as wide as the clio one spread matters more to me than peak figures.

Bodies and cams are worth a mention too as they give a good spread and a good peak figure, but are a lot dearer and have other compromises, cost being a big one.

We had a cammed 172 and a RS2 172 at the same time, and both of us preferred driving the RS2 one by a mile, but its all down to personal preference.

Weird thing is that I never see people on here with RS2 cars slagging off cammed cars, they all seem to be happy with what they have and dont feel the need to **** off others, but its not true the opposite way around.

Funny one to me was Laine, he said an RS2's spread of torque was no big deal and spent ages on here slagging them and saying that cams could get better peak numbers (he was right of course on just the peak figures), and then he went and fitted some cams, then said he hated it on track as it was so peaky and is now turboing it instead.

I think people who do **** something off should at least say if they have ever driven one or not, cause trying to 2nd guess just from the internet often leaves people talking without any firsthand experience but others reading dont know those of us who have driven both, from those others who have driven only one or neither and still comment.

Yes I see your point Nick, in that the whole "uprated inlet or uprated cams" debate is a very old one, bottom line is bit of both is the answer, whether that be a mild inlet upgrade with some porting and then some fairly hot cams like 438, or whether it is a mild cam upgrade like 197 and then a fairly hot inlet like an RS2, or all out and go wild cams and bodies, mods work best when they complement each other :)

Cams and matched inlet gives higher peak torque but not a great spread, RS2 gives great spread of torque but not as high peak figure, personally on a box as wide as the clio one spread matters more to me than peak figures.

Bodies and cams are worth a mention too as they give a good spread and a good peak figure, but are a lot dearer and have other compromises, cost being a big one.

We had a cammed 172 and a RS2 172 at the same time, and both of us preferred driving the RS2 one by a mile, but its all down to personal preference.

Weird thing is that I never see people on here with RS2 cars slagging off cammed cars, they all seem to be happy with what they have and dont feel the need to **** off others, but its not true the opposite way around.

Funny one to me was Laine, he said an RS2's spread of torque was no big deal and spent ages on here slagging them and saying that cams could get better peak numbers (he was right of course on just the peak figures), and then he went and fitted some cams, then said he hated it on track as it was so peaky and is now turboing it instead.

I think people who do **** something off should at least say if they have ever driven one or not, cause trying to 2nd guess just from the internet often leaves people talking without any firsthand experience but others reading dont know those of us who have driven both, from those others who have driven only one or neither and still comment.

Lol, Agree 100%.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its certainly a very different delivery, if you love the sudden increase at 5k on the standard car you might hate it on an rs2!

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I know this might sound retarded here. But is this 200bhp an at the wheels figure? Or has it been converted to at the fly?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
At the fly mate, 200 at wheels is only going to happen in a clio with a very high spec ITB engine, a turbo, or a set of rollers that read utter rubbish.

Inferno 225 cup
Its certainly a very different delivery, if you love the sudden increase at 5k on the standard car you might hate it on an rs2!

Say you had 3k chip and a 172-1*2 what's would your choice of mods e and why? I'm asking because deep down I'm tempted to buy a cheap ph1 172 get it running smoothly and whack the mods on, but what to do ? Turbo dynamic £2300 turbo kit? Itb and cams? Rs2 cams.

Their is just so much choice

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Say you had 3k chip and a 172-1*2 what's would your choice of mods e and why? I'm asking because deep down I'm tempted to buy a cheap ph1 172 get it running smoothly and whack the mods on, but what to do ? Turbo dynamic £2300 turbo kit? Itb and cams? Rs2 cams.

Their is just so much choice 

You have the Meg for boost so id go for Bodies and Cams.. Or save some cash and RS2 with cams

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
At the fly mate, 200 at wheels is only going to happen in a clio with a very high spec ITB engine, a turbo, or a set of rollers that read utter rubbish.

Ah I see. Cheers for response :)

Inferno 225 cup
You have the Meg for boost so id go for Bodies and Cams.. Or save some cash and RS2 with cams

True I have, but it's hard to say what is like without being a passenger/driver of a car with the things I've said, the 230 turbo kit on the Clio won't feel nothing like the Megane, I don't think.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Their is just so much choice 

I'd get it handling and stopping right first, not sure on your current spec and condition so dont know how much of the budget that swallows.

I love the RS2/197 combo, but if your total budget is only 3K then that is well over half of it gone (in fact with a decent exhaust and mapping its over 2K of it), so only any good if you have already got a fairly sorted car before you come along with your 3K as it wont leave much for anything else. It is certainly NOT the first mod I would do to a clio, more like a finishing touch.

Also depends on what the car is for?

Turbo conversion is a way to REALLY transform the car, but also the start of spending a lot more on it generally!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well done , did u map the car ur self chip ?

Me and a friend of mine did it between us, I dont have the equipment to do it totally on my own when it comes to the standard ECU. I only map aftermarket ECU's normally but just helped out on this one as Dan is a mate of mine.

Me and a friend of mine did it between us, I dont have the equipment to do it totally on my own when it comes to the standard ECU. I only map aftermarket ECU's normally but just helped out on this one as Dan is a mate of mine.

Ah I see same hear I map manny aftermarket ecus but I'm trying to track down the software for theses but as I'm sure u know its not easy with out spending loads of cash , well done any ways mate

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ah I see same hear I map manny aftermarket ecus but I'm trying to track down the software for theses but as I'm sure u know its not easy with out spending loads of cash , well done any ways mate

Yeah I'd love to find a DAMOS file for it so I can just do it in WINOLS or similar but no such luck so far.

HBT 172 Cup
A neck snapping 143ft lb ;) i can't help but jest. I'm sure it goes well congrats. :)

I think my old F7R ITB hybrid made 204bhp there (143ft lbs from memory too). Was many moons ago though and definately lost the graph.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
A neck snapping 143ft lb ;) i can't help but jest. I'm sure it goes well :)

You must be lacking a bit of torque yourself lately with how long it took you to turn up in an RS2 thread to have a poke about mate, normally its 0-60 units of troll in 3 seconds flat, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.