ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

connecting ipod mini nano thing

172 cup
Not sure which one i have, it's about 1" by 1" and not very thick.....anyway whenever i plug it into the computer for it to update from itunes it just freezes. I then have to wait a day or thereaboputs for it to run out of battery in standy mode, reconnect it, and then it'll update!!! I'm sure i've tried connecting it:- 1.) whilst turned off 2.) while playing and 3.)while viewing the main menu....please help it's such a pain in the @rse :mad:

Fiat Bravo Active TJet
Not sure which one you have.... is it this one (going on the description you gave)
new-ipod-shuffle-lg.png

Fiat Bravo Active TJet
Oh I got that one.... What happens in iTunes when you try to connect it?

Also when it freezes have you tried rebooting it (pressing menu & play I think) this could un-freeze it straight away and you can try again

Maybe it needs a firmware upgrade?

172 cup
my computer makes the quick noise to say something has just been connected but nothing happens on i tunes. Just tried that re boot thing and nothing happend but thanks anyway. What's firmware?!

Fiat Bravo Active TJet
When you plug it in does windows recognise you've connected, but it just not show up in iTunes?

172 cup
Nothing shows on the computer screen at all. My computer makes the noise that something has connected but that's it, nothing shows up, i can't find it anywhere and the ipod freezes!!! What is firmaware? The battery ran dead so i reconnected it and it's all updated but i'd prefer it if i didn't have to go through this again. Should i-tunes be open when i connect it or should i connect the i-pod then open i-tunes? Thanks

Yaris Hybrid
I have a brand new Nano - well two weeks old.

It has the most up to date firmware too. I connected it to my laptop last night purely to charge it up. My laptop doesnt have iTunes installed yet though.

It froze up just as you described. My PC detected it and then it just froze. I will have to try connecting it to the PC with iTunes once the battery dies on it. Pity you can't remove the battery like you do in a mobile phone when it locks up.

I will try plugging it into my PC when iTunes is open.

Fiat Bravo Active TJet
I did have a quick read the other day about something that sounds *similar* but it might not be the same thing what so ever... Hang on I'll dig it out...

Fiat Bravo Active TJet
Ok I've found it, it does say to download the latest version of iTunes (but tbh if you already have iTunes, it prompts you to update anyway), so try this, open it up, and plug the iPod in.

If that fails, then try Restarting the iPod service:
  1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Right click on My Computer/Computer and click Manage. If Windows requires your permission to continue, click Continue.
  3. Click the plus symbol to the left of Services and Applications.
  4. Select Services listed under Services and Applications.
  5. Double click iPod Service in the right hand panel.
  6. Click the Stop button under the General tab and leave the iPod Service Properties window open.
  7. Connect your iPod and wait until it is visible in My Computer/Computer.
  8. Click the Start button in the iPod Service Properties window.
  9. Open iTunes.

If that doesn't work, reinstall iTunes, just to make sure that there isn't an error with the version (although, like said above, just install the latest anyway)

There's a bunch of other stuff that can probably done, which are on the apple site (I took the above from there) so if what I've said doesn't work then have a look and see if there's anything else that does.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
if it freezes u need to do a soft reset... it should be the same as the old ones, flick the hold button on the top of the ipod to hold, then take hold off then press the centre button and either the play pause or the menu button together for a few seconds, the screen will go blank and the apple logo appear, release and ur ipod will soft reset.