ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cooksport Megane, Big power Build... 600+bhp

Mini JCW
Looking forward to seeing how this progresses :)

Exactly that. 3rd class info.. Well I can tell you first hand that it's crap.

His fan club LMAO! Brilliant..

It wouldn't take much for me to side with anyone over you whatever the circumstance..

But anyway. Let the progress continue instead of this garbage. It's clogging up a good thread..

You're coming across as an absolute bellend. TBH.

Right back to the story!

As you're going to be pushing so much power out of this and the turbo is quite large, do you think you'll have any cooling issues under the bonnet?

Cooksport Fleet
Thanks Chip, didn't know my Motorsport Engineering Degree was "mickey mouse".

Cooksport is made up of myself (Josh), Mike Ritchie (ex Ktec) and one other share holder. Between the team we have a massive amount of experience when building standard, high power and race engines.

Chip, you are clearly are knowledgable, but this doesn't mean we are not.

We are busy building, supporting and
racing cars at a national level (not just club).

We would prefer if the arguments were kept to a minimum and we would like to keep this progress thread on track.

Josh

Cooksport Fleet
Right back to the story!

As you're going to be pushing so much power out of this and the turbo is quite large, do you think you'll have any cooling issues under the bonnet?

We have increase the water cooling as well as the air flow into the engine bay.

We will have plenty of parameters being logged to ensure the engine is running correctly.

Josh

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks Chip, didn't know my Motorsport Engineering Degree was "mickey mouse".

Cooksport is made up of myself (Josh), Mike Ritchie (ex Ktec) and one other share holder. Between the team we have a massive amount of experience when building standard, high power and race engines.

Chip, you are clearly are knowledgable, but this doesn't mean we are not.

We are busy building, supporting and
racing cars at a national level (not just club).

We would prefer if the arguments were kept to a minimum and we would like to keep this progress thread on track.

Josh

You dont have to justify yourself to me mate, I was just replying to Luke, my interest in this thread, as will be obvious from the posts I made before Luke dragged it off topic, is just in the car, not in you or anything about your new colleagues etc.

Most of the best tuners I know have utterly no relevant qualifications other than experience so I take no notice of such things anyway personally.

Good luck with the project, I hope to see it out and about on track next year.

Mental 172 Cup
Most of the best tuners I know have utterly no relevant qualifications other than experience so I take no notice of such things anyway personally.

Experience is the best qualification out there.. You can't beat that..

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I was going to say bring it along to an Exeter meet but...

That would be good.

Would be quite funny to race it with my phase 1 turbo and video it, just to show the difference compared to what is considered by most people on here to be quite a quick car, as until people have been in a 600bhp car its kind of hard to realise just what its actually like. Its properly brutal.
That said, its kinda pointless on the road IME, and hard to use on the track even, so its all a bit pointless, but still good fun :)

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Lol!!!! Luke, why don't you just buy a fully forged engine and leave all this bullsh*t talk to the bullsh*ting pro's .

Imo Chip is one of the most technically educated/learned lads on here, do i see Josh being insulted? No, he just takes Chip's advice for granted and tells him he is thinking about it.

So why would you care then ay? Please leave this thread alone so whe can talk engines and cars in stead of BS!

On topic:
Scoff indeed has 749bhp on the f4r engine and afaik on stock crank...

Mental 172 Cup
Lol!!!! Luke, why don't you just buy a fully forged engine and leave all this bullsh*t talk to the bullsh*ting pro's .

Imo Chip is one of the most technically educated/learned lads on here, do i see Josh being insulted? No, he just takes Chip's advice for granted and tells him he is thinking about it.

So why would you care then ay? Please leave this thread alone so whe can talk engines and cars in stead of BS!

On topic:

LOL at you..

My fully forged engine is in progress..

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Going to start a thread too? Looks like you'll be the first one in the world with a fully forged engine!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Do you know if he has done any work to the block?

Although the problem with that engine for a comparison IMHO is that in such a light car and only used for such short periods, its not really seeing the dutycycles of work that something like this megane will, so doesnt really prove it would work for this application, although its certainly a promising fact that it exists and continues to work.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
He haven't told much about it tbh. And you're right, the strip is short so won't have the same issues as a track running car for instance.However i do think the difference is more temp related.Stress on the engine with big drag slicks and full power runs won't be any more harsh than a road car i imagine?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Drag is an unusual application as its so brutal and yet so short lived.
A few hours is a lifetime in the world of 10 second quarters after all.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Yes it is indeed, well let's say this thread is very intriquing! The fact it isn't done much doesn't have to say it can't be done :)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Iirc scoff uses a diesel crank...

And it's still road legal too so I assume he doesn't Pootle along at 3mph in it on the way to pod?

172 cup
After stalking around numerous renault forums it would seem that renault design their engines to have a maximum stress level, ie power output, which is fairly consistant, it seems they don't want people to chase figures. In the end the same points will always fail. As chip pointed out earlier before all the bullcrap started other manufactures (a series mini) had a much stronger base to start from, same as ford engines and the japs, hence never really seeing high powered renaults.

Will be interesrting to see how cooksport get on :coffee:

Cooksport Fleet
[SUB]Update

Exhaust manifold manufacturing, first design:

c3f872fa.jpg

Not happy with the runner lengths, so number 2:

7916cb77.jpg

Better, but still not happy (plus number 1 runner fouling on the starter motor)

So here is the final layout (before the collector).

7903a90f.jpg

Here is the final manifold, fully back purged.

c7c08ee6.jpg

dfcaed50.jpg

7b819d5c.jpg

c4266191.jpg

Engine now fitted.

0ac090f2.jpg

Turbo and Wastegate fitted.

dd9b8551.jpg

And here is a picture with our mock up inlet manifold :)

c51b083e.jpg

It is using the standard 197 inlet head flange and the top of the 197 plenum.

Next is all the plumbing, fuel pumps, coolant system, oil system, exhaust, inlet manifold (completing), fuel rail, boost controller and gauges etc.)

The engine should be running by the end of this week, if all goes well ;).

Josh

[/SUB]

Cooksport Fleet
Ah right, will it be coming right out through the bonnet then? If so, what happens when it rains?

Well, I have made a truck flap. However I dont think I will be using it. Water will just accumulate in the pipe, then once it opens it will spray sooty water everywhere :)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I did have visions of dumping all the boost through a pipe full of water. Easy way to start a wet T-shirt competition?

Must scare the f**k out of everyone if it happens on a public road.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Are you using stock cams? Planning on changing them or do you think they'll flow enough?

interesting and exciting thread chaps. subscribed. watch the crap meg mounts and CV boots lol!

could do without the arse licking and handbags at noon though. save that s**t.

Mental 172 Cup
As you know full well I love this exhaust manifold. ALOT, its a complete work of art. In the flesh it looks even better. Good work

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I've tidied this up, it's due to be an awesome thread so lets try to keep it on topic and stay away from personal arguments.

Chip was asking question, we all know chip likes to ask questions, but it's the answers to those questions that make this interesting.

We can all read a magazine where people do some crazy things, but actually have a decent Q&A as this goes through the stages make it much more interesting.

I for one really look forward to seeing what you do with it, and look forward to seeing what power the standard engine blows to pieces.

Love the manifold, and the turbo from honey I blew up the kid.