ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cooling Sys Flush

I tried to flush the system today,but my mate not having any axle stands meant i couldnt get under the car to do the drain plug on the cylinder block. I tried to do it from above but was too bloody hard!

gonna have another go tomorrow - is it necessary to undo the plug or can you get away with undoing a few more hoses? if you flush through the thermo housing will compound gasket do rather than material papery stuff?

cheers!

huh???

Dont over complicate it......run it up to a mild temp (i.e you can still touch the water). Undo the bottom rad hose and let the water run out. Get a hose and stick it in the top rad entry and flush it through till no more rust comes out. Then do the same in the bottom hose.

Stick in some cleaner conditioner, then drive it for about 10 mins, come back and flush it again.

The water will just circulate round and progressively get clearer and clearer...

For teh thermo housing, itll get flushed at the same time or no hot water will get out the rad. You should be about to use instant gasket for the housing as long as its not needind a certain size spacing provided by the gasket.

cheers mate - its just i looked in the haynes "bible" and it said that the drain plug needed to be undone - cheers, will do it later!

sorry to be dumb but i must have missed something - if you undo the bottom hose and stick a hose in the top rad entry, that will flush just the rad yeah? but then you say do the same in the bottom hose - you mean put the hose into the bottom hose going to cyl. block? will a normal hose have enough pressure to get up to the top of the engine with the water?

yeah youre right, prob ver complicating it, need2 know im flushing it properly tho!

nah, you flush the rad out, and yer block will drain a bit, then fill it up again, run, then drain, so on and on till its clear.....

most of your dirst gets trapped in teh rad, and jsut running the water through will eventually get your block clean.