ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Could a mechanical novice turbo their car?

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure if this has been asked before, so here it goes. I'm considering joining the ever growing number of people boosting their clios. Going to use either the engine dynamics 230bhp kit or the one from ClioTurbo for my 172 Cup.

My question is, could someone that has little mechanical experience fit the kit themselves?. So far i've replaced the injectors on my car, air filter, reverse switch on gearbox, front bumper off about a million times for things like headlights out, spraying up the front grills and what not but that's about it.

There's the argument that I could pay a little more to have it fitted and mapped by someone who knows what they're doing and I totally get that, but if there is anyone on here that is similar in experience to me and has bitten the bullet you may just inspire me to do the same. Lol.

Tools aren't a problem, my girlfriends dad has a workshop with just about everything you would need including an engine stand/workshop crane (fixes compressors for a living).

I'm interested to hear your opinions.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you have a mate that you can bombard with questions and can help you out when you're stuck, go for it!

But leave the mapping to the professionals. Of which there aren't that many!

Last edited:
  Clio 2.0 16v 182
Not advisable. Im a novice that knows how to change gaskets and cambelts. Remapping is a whole different story.

Track 172 Cup
I would have a go myself if I was gonna try turbo, as cs dave says its only nuts and bolts. And not really any way round mapping so you would have to go to a pro