ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cr33do and Meek_Racing's track car project

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Welcome to mine (Cr33do) and “Meek_Racing” combined track day car project thread.

First off, a little background info.

For the past 10 years I have owned BMW’s and been on the odd track day in them, of which I thoroughly enjoyed. I have also owned a Renault before – around 13 years ago I briefly drove a 5GTT. Around two years ago Mike (Meek_Racing) introduced me to the world of the Renaultsport Clio; specifically his immaculately presented 182 that has been modified suitable for fast road/ track use. Over this two year period Mike and I have attended quite a few track days and have really caught the popular track day bug! We both wanted to continue the track days but needed a jointly owned 2nd car that we can share 50/50 and work on together. The Clio came as a natural choice and although I always thought my first dedicated track car would have to be rear-wheel drive, my time behind the wheel of Mike’s car confirmed that there really is fun to be had from a properly sorted FWD hatch.

Queue the last 4-5 weeks of searching for a suitable vehicle. Our total “build” budget is relatively small compared to other cars on this forum. We scoured the normal sites for either a cheap, standard 172 (ph2) that required suitable modifications or, on the flip side of the coin, a car that has already been prepared by someone else. Both options had their advantages – the standard car would provide the opportunity for me and Mike to get our hands dirty(good thing) and decide exactly what we wanted but a previously prepared car gets you better value for money.

DSC_0491.jpg

In the end Mike spotted a car that fell half way between the above two options. Last Sunday we viewed the car, were generally impressed and a deal was done. The following night we collected our new purchase and drove it back to Meek_Racing HQ. We ended up getting one of these little blighters:approve:

DSC_0494.jpg

The car has had an “interesting” life (tracked previously), appears generally to be in good condition, and benefits from uprated parts that we can make good use of. The current specification is gleaned from the original advertisement and scanning the accompanying A4 folder that is crammed full of receipts and service information:
Model: Renault Clio 172 Cup (52 plate)

Engine:
Rebuilt approx. 25k ago by Hillpower Engineering.
182 bottom end, blueprinted and balanced
ARP bolts
Polished and Ported head
182 exhaust manifold
Sport Cat
K-Tec stealth exhaust system
Matched inlets
K-Tec GrpN remap
Magnecor Leads
K&N Panel filter

Chassis:
GAZ goilovers (still working out which variety)
Polybushed front end
Polybushed dog-bone mount
Eibach Camber bolts
182 anti-roll bar

Brakes:
Brembo Max grooved front disks
Ferrodo pads
Goodrich hoses throughout

Wheels:
16”x7J OZ Ultraleggera
Toyo Proxy R1R tyres

Some pictures of when we got it back home, following a very quick wash:

DSC_0490.jpg

DSC_0498.jpg

DSC_0500.jpg

DSC_0489.jpg

DSC_0493.jpg

DSC_0492.jpg

DSC_0495.jpg

On top of this we also bought a second set of wheels from the same seller. Queue a forum marmite choice of “Turbines” which more importantly came with nearly new Federal RSR’s. The tyres will be removed from these and are soon to be mated on a set of freshly powder-coated Speedline 2118’s J.

DSC_0501.jpg

Keep an eye out in the for sale section as both the OZ Ultraleggera (with tyres) and Turbines (wheels only) will be advertised soon!

First impressions of the car are good. The engine pulls very well across the entire rev range although I think we will need to invest some time setting the suspension up. The rebound is all over the place at the moment and I think corner weighting and a proper alignment are on the cards here.

Plans are to strip the interior, the poor car mustn’t know if it’s coming or going, as this is the second time someone will have stripped it, fit a cage and suitable seats/harnesses – then have some fun!! We are going to try and tackle as much work ourselves as we can which will hopefully save us some money but more importantly increase our knowledge and skills of all things car related.

Prior to posting this I have just come back from changing both the engine and gearbox oils, mainly for piece of mind. Inspecting the car whilst it was up on the ramp it all appears rather good. There are a couple of little maintance jobs to look at, namely a lose CV boot and battery of all things.

Let the joys of ownership commence;) Thanks for reading.

Nick

RB 182
Any idea how much power the engine is putting out? Looks like a solid base for a project.

The chap said 200bhp but I think that was a bit an lala land, I'd say around 190'ish. Shall get it on a rr at some point and see what it really is.

You using meek's cage or welding one in?

We would like a full bolt or weld in cage but awaiting some quotes atm. Will probably use my cage to get the car ready for track but nothing is 100% atm, we are stripping it tommoz so will chat over the options. My seats are going in it. :D

RB 182
Spent all day stripping this, got heat stroke at one point but worth it lol. Nick'll be along soon to put the pics up. We now have the 16" Ultraleggera wheels and Toyo R1R wheels off so expect to see them in the sale section very soon. They look proper bo!

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
UPDATE #1

Firstly, thanks for the positive comments so far. Sorry I haven't been able to reply sooner but it looks like Mike has covered most things anyway.

Today saw the project start proper :). I woke up nice and early, saw the sun was shining an knew the day was going to be a good one. Mike was simultaneously driving over to mine, where the car has been kept for the last few days, eager to start work at 9:30. The general plan today was to embark on stripping as much of the interior as possible without going silly at screwing something up that we couldn't fix by the end of the day. Additionally, we wanted to swap to the Turbine wheels so we can offer the OZ's for sale sooner rather than later.

I will let the pictures do the talking but the timeline generally went like this:

Start with an interior as Renault intended-

DSC_0502.jpg

DSC_0504.jpg

DSC_0505.jpg

Start by removing the door cards-

DSC_0510.jpg

Proceed to remove drivers seat-

DSC_0512.jpg

Remove almost all plastics from the rear-

DSC_0513.jpg

Passenger seat and carpet-

DSC_0528.jpg

DSC_0523.jpg

DSC_0518.jpg

And replace front seats until we are in a position to fit something rather more interesting-

DSC_0530.jpg

DSC_0532.jpg

As some will know stripping a car to this level doesnt really take that long. However, working in the direct heat of the sun makes things a little harder; better than rain I suppose? For now we have decided to leave the headlining in. I'm not sure how much this weighs but if it's anything like the rest of the Cup interior it wont be much. If a cage requires it to be removed then it can come out at a later date. Any wiring has been left as is for the time being except for easliy moved stuff which Mike did a nice job of tidying up and locating under the passenger side dashboard. This is another area that we need to think about carefully before ploughing in to. Should be remove the dash, some of the dash or make some bits to house required switchgar etc? This decision can be left for another day though. I must say that I am pleasantly supprised about how little tar/sound deadening these cars have. Infact, the only peices of tar are on the rear-quater panels. This can stay because we already have some carbon panels to cover this area.

At this point we would like to thank Matt350 for putting in an appearance in the morning and generally getting stuck in to any tasks given. Its was nice to see you and I will hopefully see you out on track soon!

We also removed the rear wiper arm and motor assembly. The arm required a puller to remove as it was siezed fast and we definately didn't want to crack the rear screen!

After the interior was finished (phase 1 anyway), we progressed on to the wheels. Basically we swapped the OZ's out for the Turbines. The Turbines are 15*6.5J et36 so will offer a very similar outer face position to the 2118's that will hopefully be ready in a couple of weeks. This allows us to assess arch clearance and any area's that may require altering to prevent scrubbing during hard cornering and high speed compressions etc. Here are some pictures of them fiited, note we (Mike) removed the front fog lights too. In the future ducting will cool the brakes and maybe provide cool air the the intake filter.

DSC_0533.jpg

DSC_0538.jpg

After all this, we packed up and went for a spin. I was expecting the sound levels to have increased more than what they actually have done to be honest. Saying that, when you drive over lose gravel you can't half hear the stones bouncing off the floorpan!

A quick adjustment was made to the suspension damping setting's during this session. Although neither of us are suspension guru's, when we test drove the car initially we both commented on the rear suspension travel. Under breaking the rear would raise up quite spectacularly! - maybe the owner wanted a supple ride for road use? After a quick look the rear shocks offer 42 clicks of adjustment - they were currently set on 1!. I initially adjusted this to 15, dropped it to 10 and now its running on 8. The rear seems OK for the moment. The fronts were setup with with over half the available adjustment dialled in. 5 turns are available on the strut top and I have currently set this to 1 turn. The ride and, from what I can tell on the road, control has improved enormously. Only having it properly setup and track time will allow us to see what its really like and ultimately let us finely adjust the balance.

Plans now are to tidy the wiring and prep and paint the inside before fitting a cage and seats. The paint will be a DIY affair so dont expect a million dollar mirror like finish.

Thanks for reading

TrackCar & F30 330d
I do like those wheels.

Headliner with all the bits and bobs weighs 5kg iirc. It's much more than you think.

Good work so far :)

RB 182
Car feels epic now it's tripped. Almost feels too light to get all the power down! Matt turned up in his show pony polished Monaco 172, he's having ITB's installed next week so shall see if Nick can have spin in it with him. I'm trying to warm him to the ITB side but with no luck :(

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
I do like those wheels.

Headliner with all the bits and bobs weighs 5kg iirc. It's much more than you think.

Good work so far :)

Cheers,

Interesting to hear it weighs that much!

I must say, your car was one of the many on here that gave me the inspiration to do this (a long with Mike's obviously!). I must get round to commenting in your journal - I have been lurking on here for too long without acknowleding other peoples hard work and talents.

Nick

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
I look forward to seeing it guys, oh and when you getting a yozza on it?

When I have trouble overtaking you I will think about getting a Yozza ;). How are you going Sam? Hope your car is running OK and that we attend a track day soon - the last one was good fun!

RB 182
I look forward to seeing it guys, oh and when you getting a yozza on it?

Current exhaust is good enough for now. Would love a Yozza poking under the bumper but can't justify the price atm. Fred has still to quote me on that cage so I guess that's one thing we could compromise on ;)

Renault 5 Turbo
Was good to see you guys, and the cars looking awesome ;)

Polished show pony....... cheeky bar-steward lol ;)

Golf GTD Mk7
looks good boys. Is it a propper cnc'd head? or mildly ported? Should see a reasonable RR result i'd imagine. Oh and i'm supprised how well those turbines look :cool:

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
looks good boys. Is it a propper cnc'd head? or mildly ported? Should see a reasonable RR result i'd imagine. Oh and i'm supprised how well those turbines look :cool:

Not sure to be honest - I cannot rember seing any particular specificiations mentioned on receipts etc. Suppose the only way to tell would be to inspect inlets if the plenum is removed in the future? I'm not sure what you can expect from a flowed head on these engines either? (I am new to the clio scene and am still reading/learning loads).

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Love those turbines.

If this is a dedicated track car why leave the headlining in?

Yep, Turbines dont look too bad as temporary stop gap!

As I said earlier, we haven't officially ruled out removing the headlining but didnt want to rush into it and then think "S**t, why have we done that?!". I didn't think it would weigh as much as 5kg either and was worried about making the acoustics unbearable on the way to the track! Can you get condensation forming and dripping from a naked roof too? We need to think about that type of stuff I suppose as we will be driving this thing to and from the track as we dont have the luxury of a trailer and suitable tow car :(

Those of you that have removed out the headlining please feel free to comment on your experiences.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Those of you that have removed out the headlining please feel free to comment on your experiences.
Pulled mine out, doesn't bother me at all, polyurethane glue wouldn't budge though so it looks a little messy - but I never look up there anyway!

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
It has been two weeks since we last managed to update this project. Unfortunately, last week end was a wash out for me as I came down with a sickness bug - typical! So, better make something of this weekend then:D

I picked the car up from Mike's on Friday and brought it over to mine. It will stay here for the next two weeks as we plan to get some of the larger tasks out of the way during this time period. Upon climbing in to the car I immediately noticed something different! Couldn't put my finger on it first of all, then I looked up. Mike has obviously taken AdamR's feedback on board, made an executive decision and decided to rip the roof lining out without telling me! I'm now glad he did it because it really isn't that bad and the thing sounds even more racious inside now:evil:

DSC_0580.jpg

I managed to grab some free time during Saturday and during two seperate stints I managed to remove both front wheels and degrease and clean under the arches, giving the coilover threads a good scrub during the process. Additonally the offside CV boot needed some new grease as the securing clip had broken. This had been spotted when Mike and I originally viewed the car. While the wheels were off I thought it was a good as time as any to refresh the brake fluid in the front lines. ATE Super blue racing was used.

Before:

DSC_0560.jpg

After:

DSC_0561.jpg

Today saw my attention turn to the interior. Mike was due over in the morning but got caught up in other things so was only able to join me at about 2 o'clock. We were meant to be swapping the seats over to our new track seats and potentially test fit the half cage prior to painting. As this didn't happen I will leave details of these to the relevant update, which fingers crossed should be in 1-2 weeks time.

So, I was free for 5 hours and needed something to do on the car. I decided to place the dashboard area on a diet! I have never done this type of thing before and I will be the first to admit at times I felt a little anxious about what I was doing - especially as I had kept Mike in the dark about it:) I remember reading Chrispy's journal and seeing his dashboard antics so thought I might as well give it a go. Initial thoughts were to remove the dash which would enable me to remove the bulkhead sound deadening, then place most of the dash back! A couple of hours in I knew the dash, as a whole, would never go back in this car - once its out it's staying out. I was suprised at how much it weighed so the potential for weight saving was too good to bung it back in.

A few shots during the process:

As it started out:

DSC_0574.jpg

10 mins later, top half out:

DSC_0576.jpg

DSC_0578.jpg

Wheel and stalks out:

DSC_0583.jpg

Lower dash out, sound deadening still in:

DSC_0586.jpg

Most of the sound deadening out, except behing heater box:

DSC_0590.jpg

Mike was over at this point and we both decided to put the essentials back in so we could drive the car. This consisted of hazard switch, locking, speedo cluster, stalks, wheel and a limited fan/heater function:

DSC_0595.jpg

The heater still works, but the temperature and direction controls (which are now limited to full-in-the-face or screen modes) are hand operated by pulling the relevant cable:

DSC_0596.jpg

The fan seems to work really well and will be useful whilst sitting in pit lane queues.

Again, whilst reading Chrispy's project I remember reading how he experienced glare on the windscreen from the now exposed wiring loom. We have the same issue so we now think we will butcher the original upper dash board and trim to the minimum required size to stop the glare, hold the intrument cluster and potentially allow the central area to locate the heater controls and electric windows.

Mike has also been busy during the week. After visiting a shot blasters and arranging the powder coating we now have four of these boxes in the garage:approve:

DSC_0601.jpg

And finally, phew, I had a quick play with some 3M Di-noc carbon wrap on the pastic cover where the rear screen wiper used to reside.

Before:

DSC_0572.jpg

After:

DSC_0600.jpg

So what's next? Well, we have booked a trackday through Easytrack so will be attending Oulton Park on the 24th August. It will be interesting to see how the clio perform's but as neither of us have driven this particular car on track yet we plan to take it nice and easy to begin with. Before then we really want to get the seats in, fit the half cage (even though interior wont be painted) and swap the wheels to the Speedlines. Looks like we have a busy couple of weeks ahead!

Thanks for reading!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Use a razor blade to remove the silicone/glue that held the headlining in place. Combine it with a heat gun and it comes off a doddle! Word of warning though, dont be tempted to pull it when its started coming off!! It WILL leave dents in your roof skin! Lol! Good old bacofoil reenaults!

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Use a razor blade to remove the silicone/glue that held the headlining in place. Combine it with a heat gun and it comes off a doddle! Word of warning though, dont be tempted to pull it when its started coming off!! It WILL leave dents in your roof skin! Lol! Good old bacofoil reenaults!

Thanks for the tip! Know what you mean about the bacofoil too- I get worried when I wash it!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
i am sure my 1.2 had a stronger roof than my 172, it is horribly bendy when i wash the roof. anyway the car looks good guys, coming along very nicely

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
UPDATE #3 Wheels

Mike and I had a good few hours working on the car last night. The Cup seats have now been removed and are bolted in to Mike's road car. This means we have 2 nice buckets seats ready to be fitted to the track car over the next couple of days. More of this in the next update or two.

I must make it clear that Mike must take most of the credit for the wheel update. He has made the following happen and done all of the donkey work. Here is where we are:

1 - Take the spare set of Mike's Speedline 2118 alloys, used previously for track day's, and invest a 50% share in to them so they are "our" wheels for the track car. Here are the actual items(photo taken post track day):

DSC_0049.jpg

2 - Mike gets busy and takes the wheels to a local shot-blaster to be treated.

3 - Mike boots up the laptop and creates a useable file for a sticker making company:

clio-decals.jpg

4 - Mike takes prepared alloys to a (very) local powder-coating resource who coats the wheels for a very reasonable f(r)ee:approve:

5 - Apply decals and end up with the following, of which we are both chuffed to bits with:

DSC_0617.jpg

DSC_0614.jpg

DSC_0618.jpg

All that's left to do now is shoot a few layers of lacquer over them (mainly to protect the decals), let them cure and then get the Federal RSR's mounted to them.

Must say we got rather excited when we stuck the decals on late last night - lots of "oooooh" and "arrrrr'ing" - :cool:

Going to work on a little wing-mirror project tonight then test fit the seats etc on Thursday. More updates soon.

Cheers - Nick (and Mike)

RB 182
Shweeeeeeeet! Pic's turned out well Nick! Might get a batch of these stickers made up if people are interested, stay tuned ;)

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
UPDATE #4 - Mirrors

I had a couple of hours spare during one evening so thought I would have a go at a little `sub-project` before the weekends activity of fitting the custom cages half cage and bucket seats.

I carefully removed the wing mirror covers without managing to break and of the clips and proceeded to give them a good clean:

DSC_0612.jpg

Then wrapped one in some of the 3M Di-noc sheet I had left over. This took ages and was much harder than I intially thought. The main ball-ache is getting round the various curves without getting any creasing etc. Overall, the wrap finish is good and I am pleased with it:

DSC_0613.jpg

I then test fit the cover to the car, masked a horizontal line and applied an "Elf" sticker. It looked good at this point but I really think the carbon wrap looks much better when you apply one or two coats of clear lacquer. The carbon effects has more depth and the sheen makes for a more realistic finish (IMO):

DSC_0615.jpg

One more to do now and they are ready to be fitted.

More performance rather than "show" type updates after the weekend, when fingers crossed the cage and seats will be in :)

Thanks for reading.

Golf GTD Mk7
good effort mate. I think you may have found the wrapping easier with the covers on the car, but it looks like you've done a cracking job. None of the weave looks stretched which is always a good sign :)

TTRS & V50
Nice progress.

Agree with Jonny, would be easier on the car, unless you created a make-shift clamp.

Loving the 2118's although they are getting a lot of hate on here lately, one might say that you are stripping all this weight and then adding 2118's which weight a lot more than most wheels. Although I would say have a s**t in the morning !

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
good effort mate. I think you may have found the wrapping easier with the covers on the car, but it looks like you've done a cracking job. None of the weave looks stretched which is always a good sign :)

Cheers Jonny, and completely agree with applying the wrap when the cover is on the car. In actual fact, that is what I will do for the second cover:) Thanks!

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Nice progress.

Agree with Jonny, would be easier on the car, unless you created a make-shift clamp.

Loving the 2118's although they are getting a lot of hate on here lately, one might say that you are stripping all this weight and then adding 2118's which weight a lot more than most wheels. Although I would say have a s**t in the morning !

Thanks for the feedback :)

I know what you are saying about the 2118's. They certainly are a lot heavier than the OZ Ultraleggera that came off it but they were 16" and just dont cut it for an economical track wheel/tyre package. I haven't wighed the turbines yet but have a feeling the 2118's will be similar to them. Shame in a way because unsprung weight is more important than anything else when stripping weight from a car. I'm a bit of a sucker for asthetics too which doesnt help;)

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
Wheels look really good, had the same idea for mine in the future, I would like to get some new stickers made up how did you go about that?

RB 182
Wheels look really good, had the same idea for mine in the future, I would like to get some new stickers made up how did you go about that?

Got a standard speedline EPS file off the net, then modified it to curve around the correct PCD. Mightb e getting some cut soon in different colours. Just need to get a price.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
UPDATE #5 - Cage and Seats

It has been a busy weekend for Mike and I. I will try and keep the writing short as I have taken quite a few photo's that warrant an upload :)

Friday evening saw Mike come over to mine so we could tackle installing the Custom cages half cage. Both cage and seats have been sourced from Mike's road car but I have bought a 50% share in to them (Payment in the post). Ultimately a full cage may be installed but we wanted to get out on track more than just a couple of time before the track day season is over. Hence, we havent painted the interior as that seemed a bit pointless if a full cage is to be installed over the winter etc. By 10PM we had installed the cage and also the seats and harnessses - not bad going but drilling and bolting the cage in isnt actually that time consuming. We have still one bolt to tighten on the passenger side seat. The K-TEC middle silencer makes getting a socket on the rear bolt a pain in the arse.

Saturday - Mike took the car and had a windcreen strip applied to the car. As we now have no headling and no sun visors this is needed, especially as the seat base is so much lower than the standard items. Additionally, Mike corrected the headlight lenses. These were in a terrible state before, scratched and yellow in appearance - a real eyesore! Now they nearly look good as new. Nice job Mike!

Sunday - Mike came over for a few hours and we tidyed up a few little items that we have been preparing during the week:
Install carbon wrapped wing mirrors
Install carbon wrapped brake ducts
Fit freshly painted Renault diamonds (rear still to be fitted)
Apply various orange decals that will pick up on the badges and speedline decals
Lower steering wheel to better suit the new seats
Clean manky steering. Wire brush, nail brush and water really cleaned the suede which was previously flat and shiney. It now looks AND FEELS so much nicer.
Re-install upper dashboard do reduce screen glare.
Lower osr suspension. Now need to ideally get it corner weighted - Mr BTM may be able to do this? Mike will enqire during the week.
Mike gave it a quick wash whilst I was out on family duties.

The speedline 2118s still need to be lacqured so they can be fitted next weekend.

I will let the pictures do the rest of the talking ;)

DSC_0616.jpg

DSC_0619.jpg

DSC_0621.jpg

DSC_0627.jpg

DSC_0623.jpg

DSC_0625.jpg

DSC_0630.jpg

DSC_0629.jpg

DSC_0631.jpg

DSC_0639.jpg

DSC_0638.jpg

DSC_0622.jpg

DSC_0634.jpg

Oulton Park is looming ever closer and we still have a few things to do during the week but it feels like the hard work is finally paying off!

Thanks for reading,

Nick (and Mike)