ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cranks but won't start

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Took the 182 out of the garage yesterday (first mistake lol) no problems at all and parked on the driveway ready to take it out. Got back in the car and it just cranks over endlessly. I did wiggle the TDC sensor wiring whilst the gf cranked it and it did fire into life and ran absolutely fine. Turned it off and thought I'd reassemble / just clean the relays whilst I was there. Now doesn't start again and can't replicate the wire wiggling.

What I've done /noted -

•Immobiliser light turns off as normal - also tried the spare key just in case.
•Fuel pump primes with ignition - can also manually engage the relay with the RsTuner - relay clicks and pump runs
•TDC sensor removed and cleaned with WD40 - no change (still running the original sensor and wiring loom)
•Engine speed doesn't move from 0 rpm when cranking - checking with live data on RsTuner

Anything else to try before I bite the somewhat expensive bullet of a genuine TDC sensor and loom?

IMG_20200625_105303.jpg

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like CS if there’s no rpm on crank?

Stick it in the freezer for half hour and see if it works intermittently on Rs tuner

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Surely that makes sense as there's no engine speed detected so the engine doesn't know when to spark. You're essentially not cranking the engine (when you are) or so the engine thinks

Indeed! I just thought the coil pack should still receive a 12v supply with ignition on which is then earthed by the ECU if it wants to make a spark.

New genuine CPS coming today and I'll also have a look at the earth's. The top gearbox one looked fine from my quick check of it.

Battery Nonce

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed! I just thought the coil pack should still receive a 12v supply with ignition on which is then earthed by the ECU if it wants to make a spark.

New genuine CPS coming today and I'll also have a look at the earth's. The top gearbox one looked fine from my quick check of it.
Good point, i'm wondering if it just sends the 12v during cranking perhaps? Might worth giving it a go to see if there's anything during a crank

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Thanks all - just changed the crank sensor and loom with new genuine blue style items. Now firing up perfectly!! Looks like someone has been at the crank sensor loom in the past as there is a soldered connector right near the plug!

Clio 172 2001
Thanks all - just changed the crank sensor and loom with new genuine blue style items. Now firing up perfectly!! Looks like someone has been at the crank sensor loom in the past as there is a soldered connector right near the plug!
Hi mate, hope you're still active on the forum.

I'm having a similar issue with my 172, and like you am trying to diagnose before biting the bullet and spending another 50 quid on this car.

What Parts did you buy in the end and from where? It looks like my TDC sensor has given up although I don't seem to get an engine light or anything but since I took it off and cleaned no start at all, turns over fine.

Reason I'm contacting you is you mentioning the blue one, apparently their better? But require a different connection? Is this difficult to do? Don't have any experience soldering wires etc.

Appreciate any help

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Hi mate, hope you're still active on the forum.

I'm having a similar issue with my 172, and like you am trying to diagnose before biting the bullet and spending another 50 quid on this car.

What Parts did you buy in the end and from where? It looks like my TDC sensor has given up although I don't seem to get an engine light or anything but since I took it off and cleaned no start at all, turns over fine.

Reason I'm contacting you is you mentioning the blue one, apparently their better? But require a different connection? Is this difficult to do? Don't have any experience soldering wires etc.

Appreciate any help

New tdc sensor and update piece of loom fixed it for me.

The loom comes with a solder connection which just needs heat (heat gun or lighter) so you don’t need to be skilled in soldering to fix it.

Clio 172 2001
New tdc sensor and update piece of loom fixed it for me.

The loom comes with a solder connection which just needs heat (heat gun or lighter) so you don’t need to be skilled in soldering to fix it.
Thank you, where did you get these from? was it the blue coloured one?WOuld be great if you could provide a link and i have a heat gun at least

Clio 172 2001
Hello mate, I have purchased a genuine renault loom to fix this, is it just a case of snipping the old connector off, cut the wires both ends to have some.metal to play with, wind together and cover with these plastic tube things, heat up to spring/seal?

Apologies not done this before and don't want to bodge any worse than it already is, I've attached a pic of the remaining wire also

Attachments

• 20201229_130957.jpg
    20201229_130957.jpg
    948.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 20201229_130857.jpg
    20201229_130857.jpg
    886.9 KB · Views: 100

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Best to solder it if you can. Or get some of those solder connectors they sell these days that have solder built in. You can use a lighter on them.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Hello mate, I have purchased a genuine renault loom to fix this, is it just a case of snipping the old connector off, cut the wires both ends to have some.metal to play with, wind together and cover with these plastic tube things, heat up to spring/seal?

Apologies not done this before and don't want to bodge any worse than it already is, I've attached a pic of the remaining wire also

Yeah that's it. Put the sleeve on one wire, then join the two cables by twisting together, after that slide the sleeve back over so the solder middle is over the join. It's a bit fiddly due to location.

Go YouTube and search for solder sleeve and you will find some guides.

Best to solder it if you can. Or get some of those solder connectors they sell these days that have solder built in. You can use a lighter on them.

That's exactly what Renault supply with them.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that's it. Put the sleeve on one wire, then join the two cables by twisting together, after that slide the sleeve back over so the solder middle is over the join. It's a bit fiddly due to location.

Go YouTube and search for solder sleeve and you will find some guides.

That's exactly what Renault supply with them.

Ah right, sure I’ve got one somewhere. Didn’t think there were any connectors in the pack, will have to check.

Clio 172 2001
Thanks guys, got it successfully installed today using the sleeves and a heat gun and now the car starts again.

Unfortunately I'm still having my low rev idle issue, and stalling though :(