ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crashing a friends website

If this isn't legal, let me know as I'm unsure!!

I'd like to play a trick on a friend in the form of a ping through dos. I've been led to believe this will temporarily crash his site.

Can it be traced back to me? Best way of doing it? Any thoughts if this is illegal as to how else I can do it?!

Cheers,

An unknowledgeable Jamie!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
fonejacker_charlie_wong.jpg

Compretery Regal!

FF Clio 182
Download a program called LOIC, it's a package generator. Use it to create packages and flood the web server. Most web hosting providers have protocols in place to prevent flooding. I in no way condone malicious activity online. Good luck

DCi
Can you get access to his PC? And is it windows. You might be able to make him think its crashed (legally too huzzah)

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I tried crashing a friends website once, with his knowledge. Didn't even get close.

FF Clio 182
If it hosted by a professional web hosting service you stand no chance and will only succeeded in getting into trouble.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
As has been said above, forget it. Aside from flood prevention/detection you're unlikely to generate enough packets/data to overload the system as a single entity. Big DDoS (distributed denial of service) attacks are able to take down systems via simultaneously overloading a system with requests, this typically involves hundreds or thousands of compromised systems.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
As has been said above, forget it. Aside from flood prevention/detection you're unlikely to generate enough packets/data to overload the system as a single entity. Big DDoS (distributed denial of service) attacks are able to take down systems via simultaneously overloading a system with requests, this typically involves hundreds or thousands of compromised systems.

This. You'll be doing the computer equivalent of trying to shut down the M25 by lining up four Matchbox cars in a row.

​D.

Taking a website with ping from one machine... no chance.

I'll pm you, not writing it on here.

This. You'll be doing the computer equivalent of trying to shut down the M25 by lining up four Matchbox cars in a row.

​D.

It wouldn't even cause as much inconvenience as that. Maybe more like 4 matches... :L

I have passed all relevant information on to him though!

Cheers all, hadn't quite cottoned on to the fact it was this serious. From the amount of reports I see about people shutting down sites for fun, I presumed it was easy/nothing more than a nuisance...!

Cheers for the PM, Thomas, but on second thoughts I'll stay clear. It's not worth it.

​My comment wasn't serious ;)

I know you plonker ;) Likewise with any detailing knowledge jokes ;)

Evo 5 RS
It's not all that difficult, but it does depend on the hosting company. Some poorer ones hosted by Webfusion and alike are about as secure as poop. I honestly wouldn't do it, especially as a joke. Not sure why you'd want to. Think you're telling us porky pies!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Unless your friend is a relatively large company, his website will be on shared hosting, so if you do succeed in flooding his, depending on how it is setup there is a reasonable chance you will effect dozens of other small companies too, so even if he doesnt want to cause you any grief legally the hosting company may well want to do so.

Odds of getting caught are of course very small if you are smart about it as its not like the police will be interested, but still seems a silly prank TBH, its kind of equivalent to you knowing what street he parks in and paying some scrote to slash the tyres of every car in that street really, in terms of the aggro it will cause a load of others too.

It's not all that difficult, but it does depend on the hosting company. Some poorer ones hosted by Webfusion and alike are about as secure as poop. I honestly wouldn't do it, especially as a joke. Not sure why you'd want to. Think you're telling us porky pies!

Why not? He knows how to code or what ever it may be to sort his website, he some how managed to hack my Facebook account password and post some photos from a recent training course... (nothing incriminating) so it's payback. I had no idea that something I see as geeky but common could cause so much uproar! But as said above, I guess it's like one of you posting about sponges in the detailing section.

Unless your friend is a relatively large company, his website will be on shared hosting, so if you do succeed in flooding his, depending on how it is setup there is a reasonable chance you will effect dozens of other small companies too, so even if he doesnt want to cause you any grief legally the hosting company may well want to do so.

Odds of getting caught are of course very small if you are smart about it as its not like the police will be interested, but still seems a silly prank TBH, its kind of equivalent to you knowing what street he parks in and paying some scrote to slash the tyres of every car in that street really, in terms of the aggro it will cause a load of others too.

Small local company. And honestly? Slashing tyres? That's a pretty large leap.

Your friend doesn't happen to be the Daily Mail or The sun by any chance?

Haha, maybe. This is the phone-internet-connection hacking scandal...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Small local company. And honestly? Slashing tyres? That's a pretty large leap.
I dont think its a massive difference, I think a lot of companies would be just as annoyed at losing their website for a bit as getting the tyres slashed on one of their vans etc.
Just cause its "cyber vandalism" doesnt make the cost of it any less real to a business.

Evo 5 RS
LOL mate, that's a proper ignorant outlay to have if you honestly think it's just a joke. Especially as has been pointed out, it's most likely shared hosting so you could, if successful, disrupt other peoples businesses quite easily. Imagine not having email at work for a couple of hours for example. Would cause some people chaos. If you're slashing tyres, at least it's only one person you're inevitably f*cking off. Hence the 'just don't' attitude from peeps.

At least you asked first lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
LOL mate, that's a proper ignorant outlay to have if you honestly think it's just a joke. Especially as has been pointed out, it's most likely shared hosting so you could, if successful, disrupt other peoples businesses quite easily. Imagine not having email at work for a couple of hours for example. Would cause some people chaos. If you're slashing tyres, at least it's only one person you're inevitably f*cking off. Hence the 'just don't' attitude from peeps.

Indeed, hence I said its more like going and slashing all the tyres in the street, you wouldnt know who else you were effecting as well, same with crashing a shared host server.

If this isn't legal, let me know as I'm unsure!!

I'd like to play a trick on a friend in the form of a ping through dos. I've been led to believe this will temporarily crash his site.

Can it be traced back to me? Best way of doing it? Any thoughts if this is illegal as to how else I can do it?!

Cheers,

An unknowledgeable Jamie!

wat

unless he's hosting it himself on his own machine, good luck

I dont think its a massive difference, I think a lot of companies would be just as annoyed at losing their website for a bit as getting the tyres slashed on one of their vans etc.
Just cause its "cyber vandalism" doesnt make the cost of it any less real to a business.

If you say so, Chip.

Hence the asking! I have no idea about these things. However, it appears on the news and in conversation daily... the "shared hosting" and other business chatter I was not aware of, again, hence asking how easy it is to do to him specifically.

Blimey, this really has rattled you whiter than white lot, hasn't it?! Amazed this has caused such an out cry. Next time someone Facebook rapes you are you going to explode in astonishment and give them grief about you potentially missing out on "dem b**ches" while your status is "interested in men"?!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Hence the asking! I have no idea about these things. However, it appears on the news and in conversation daily... the "shared hosting" and other business chatter I was not aware of, again, hence asking how easy it is to do to him specifically.

you will need to give some details about his company in order for anyone to be able to tell you if its possible to target him specifically, but I would have thought if you are desperate to cause him upset and/or financial loss then keying his car or ordering 50 pizzzas to his house or other more traditional mindless vandalim/annoyance tactics might be better suited if you dont know what you are doing.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Blimey, this really has rattled you white as white lot, hasn't it?! Amazed this has caused such an out cry. Next time someone Facebook rapes you are you going to explode in astonishment and give them grief about you potentially missing out on "dem b**ches" while your status is "interested in men"?!

You dont seem to be able to differentiate between a joke on facebook that targets only you, and an act of cyber vandalism that potentially effects a great number of peoples businesses.

To go back to car analogys its kind of like someone coming on here saying their mate left a fish in their engine bay to make their car smell and now they want to get even by setting off a paintball bomb full of paint stripper in his work car park to get his and a load of other people's cars.