ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CV Boot confusion

Clio 172 Phase 2
Hey everyone

I hope to get round to changing my OS inner CV boot this weekend, but after having read a few threads about the job, I'm a little confused.

Many people are saying you need a new shaft as you can't knock the CV joint off to replace the boot? But then I've also seen in the guide section a really detailed picture guide on how to remove it, which involves a hammer :D. I've got a replacement boot ready to go on, but I'm unsure if it's best to remove the shaft completely, then try and remove the 3 roller bearings, or knock the CV joint off, which would you guys suggest?

Also with it being the driver's side, will I lose any gearbox oil?

Thanks for your time

Gaz

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
tis indeed a one piece shaft. As i work in the trade, ive got a tool that opens the gaitor right out to pass it over the CV joint. but has to be used with a good quality stretchy Gaitor.

The inner gaitor is internally clipped iirc due to clearance with the back of the block. Hence why most say its a new shaft job.

Clio 172 Phase 2
tis indeed a one piece shaft. As i work in the trade, ive got a tool that opens the gaitor right out to pass it over the CV joint. but has to be used with a good quality stretchy Gaitor.

The inner gaitor is internally clipped iirc due to clearance with the back of the block. Hence why most say its a new shaft job.

Thanks for the replies guys. I managed to get my hands on the Renault tech sheet that has some diagrams that shows how to strip the shaft down once it’s been removed from the car. It shows that the shaft 'splits' in half, and that the actual gearbox end never has to come out, only the shaft as far as the inner boot needs to be removed.

I'm still a little unsure lol, and was trying to work out what I would need before doing the job. The boots I’ve currently got aren't stretchy one's, so I'll have to see if I can get either end off. I’ve been told there’s not a stretchy boot listed for the inner one, so would it have to be a universal fit jobby?

Also do you guys know if I will lose any oil from the gearbox when removing the shaft? I made a big mess on the drive on my previous car lol

Thanks

Gaz

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Thanks for the replies guys. I managed to get my hands on the Renault tech sheet that has some diagrams that shows how to strip the shaft down once it’s been removed from the car. It shows that the shaft 'splits' in half, and that the actual gearbox end never has to come out, only the shaft as far as the inner boot needs to be removed.

I'm still a little unsure lol, and was trying to work out what I would need before doing the job. The boots I’ve currently got aren't stretchy one's, so I'll have to see if I can get either end off. I’ve been told there’s not a stretchy boot listed for the inner one, so would it have to be a universal fit jobby?

Also do you guys know if I will lose any oil from the gearbox when removing the shaft? I made a big mess on the drive on my previous car lol

Thanks

Gaz

I can see your point of wanting to renew the gaitor on its own save cost etc..... but if im honest... these cars drive lovely when they've had 2 new shafts..... might be worth you checking each shaft for wear in the CV joints..... as it might not be worth your time messing round stripping em.... if you know your shafts are pretty good... then by all means rebuid it :) Back about 18 months ago... i had a megane coupe brought to me... the shafts were so bad..... that when on lock, left or right.....the steering wheel would kick back... due to the badly worn shafts !!!!

Clio 172 Phase 2
I can see your point of wanting to renew the gaitor on its own save cost etc..... but if im honest... these cars drive lovely when they've had 2 new shafts..... might be worth you checking each shaft for wear in the CV joints..... as it might not be worth your time messing round stripping em.... if you know your shafts are pretty good... then by all means rebuid it :) Back about 18 months ago... i had a megane coupe brought to me... the shafts were so bad..... that when on lock, left or right.....the steering wheel would kick back... due to the badly worn shafts !!!!

Thanks for the comment Mike. I'll have to have a good look when they're off, hopefully be able to clean them off a bit to check them properly. I haven't notcied much noise when on full lock either way, and looking at the current boots that are on it, they're not genuine, as they've all got cable tyes around them, so will be glad to put the proper clips back on. I might have to save up for the two shafts then in the new year lol

Thanks for your help guys (Y)

Lionel Richie
the inner CV boot by the back of the engine? new shaft only, cannot be repaired, outer though = easy pesy

Clio 172 Phase 2
the inner CV boot by the back of the engine? new shaft only, cannot be repaired, outer though = easy pesy

Yeah thats the one. The CV boot that's on it isn't a genuine one, so I can only guess it's been done before. Looking at the diagram thingy ive managed to get hold of, the 3 roller bearings that are inside the 'yoke' of the drive shaft will come off, allowing access the replace the boot. However from what ive read, its seems some do and some don't lol. I'll strip it down and see how it goes, if I manage to get the bit to come off, ill take a few pics lol.

clio 172 & megane F1
yes the inner CV boot can be changed.

I have had three clio sports and had the same issue with all of them.

There is a small ally lug on the block which can be taken off with a grinder and causes no issues or effects afterwards.

This allows the clearance needed for the new aftermarket boot which slips over and clips outside rather than internally.

If i am not believed i will provide you pics to show it can be done.

Take the whole shaft out, 3 bolts on back of the block and obviously castle nut at hub (probably the easiest way is to take the two bolts off the ball joint underneath rather than take brake calliper off to get at top bolt for the ball joint).

take clip off outer boot and push back, CV joint is circlipped internally and can be knocked off the splines.

Take outer boot off then the inner boot and slip the new one up over and reverse fit.

Clio 172 Phase 2
yes the inner CV boot can be changed.

I have had three clio sports and had the same issue with all of them.

There is a small ally lug on the block which can be taken off with a grinder and causes no issues or effects afterwards.

This allows the clearance needed for the new aftermarket boot which slips over and clips outside rather than internally.

If i am not believed i will provide you pics to show it can be done.

Take the whole shaft out, 3 bolts on back of the block and obviously castle nut at hub (probably the easiest way is to take the two bolts off the ball joint underneath rather than take brake calliper off to get at top bolt for the ball joint).

take clip off outer boot and push back, CV joint is circlipped internally and can be knocked off the splines.

Take outer boot off then the inner boot and slip the new one up over and reverse fit.

Thanks for your reply Rich.

Unfortunately I tried to replace it, but the inner boot is physically part of the shaft on mine, there aren’t any clips holding it on. So I’ve had to have a new shaft. I'll post some pictures up soon to explain what I mean. I have been told that it depends on the year though, and some are replaceable, just depends on the type of shafts you have apparently, although not sure how accurate this is.

Thanks

Gaz