ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Daily Turbo?

Personally in mine, I just make sure I do the last mile or so gently and sit on idle for 20 secs before turning off. I think as long as you're not stupid you'll be fine.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks for the info guys much apreciated and all helpfull, keeping off boost til warm will be easy for me as its about 5 miles of 40mph where i live and the pigs love to sit there with camera vans.

Anyone have turbotimers or just drive it gently last few miles of ya journey??

Just take it steady for last couple of miles, far better for the car than adding a couple minutes of idling to every journey.

Ok thats what i planned to do :), had a friend with turbo timer on his and i remember how irritating it was.
Start of may il be going over to ED to have a look at their 230 demo car, hopefully that will spur me on to do even more overtime at work.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
Just take it steady for last couple of miles, far better for the car than adding a couple minutes of idling to every journey.

Is it bad for the car to have it tick over before you take it out? I do it quite often in winter... (mine's not turbo'd, yet).

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Is it bad for the car to have it tick over before you take it out? I do it quite often in winter... (mine's not turbo'd, yet).

No its good to let the car warm up generally speaking.

Dont get me wrong your engine wont die cause it idles at the end of the drive, but its just pointless it sitting there putting more wear on the engine when it would cool down better with the increased oil flow of just driving steady instead, plus if you leave your car on a turbo timer and walk away, what if a pipe fracture or something like that? Just a rubbish idea IMHO

Countryman JCW
Im the same, i drive mine nice and easy for the last 5-10 minutes, if ive been hammering it up to my house, i just take a quick trip round the block to cool it down.
Does anyone else notice on their clio that when they park up they can still hear the turbo spinning? on the other 2 turbo'd cars ive owned (Fiesta RS Turbo, and Evo) ive never noticed this... ?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im the same, i drive mine nice and easy for the last 5-10 minutes, if ive been hammering it up to my house, i just take a quick trip round the block to cool it down.
Does anyone else notice on their clio that when they park up they can still hear the turbo spinning? on the other 2 turbo'd cars ive owned (Fiesta RS Turbo, and Evo) ive never noticed this... ?

Roller bearing turbos spin for ages afterwards, my nova does it.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
No its good to let the car warm up generally speaking.

Dont get me wrong your engine wont die cause it idles at the end of the drive, but its just pointless it sitting there putting more wear on the engine when it would cool down better with the increased oil flow of just driving steady instead, plus if you leave your car on a turbo timer and walk away, what if a pipe fracture or something like that? Just a rubbish idea IMHO

Ah, that's a relief! Had me worried for a bit lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I just went all green eyed monster... :)

I just felt sorry for him paying all that fuel, I drive a 1.2 corsa as a daily, 48mpg FTW, and I get my thrills on track instead, sod paying extra fuel just to sit in traffic anyway, but it depends what your commute is like of course, mine is all motorway and london roads so very little opportunity to enjoy driving anything.

Nice windey stretch of B road and dual carriage ways for my journey to work, the B road is my cool down part of the drive if ive had a bad day at work, or normally from the idiots that cant actually understand how to use a roundabout, which only seems to happen in MK.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
I just felt sorry for him paying all that fuel, I drive a 1.2 corsa as a daily, 48mpg FTW, and I get my thrills on track instead, sod paying extra fuel just to sit in traffic anyway, but it depends what your commute is like of course, mine is all motorway and london roads so very little opportunity to enjoy driving anything.

Mines quite motorway based atm, but job changing in a week or two so getting dual carriage and b road blasts - happy camper.

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
I looked at ED but i am not experainced enough or know enough to be changing things, other than ktec im not sure where to look. Unless ED would put an aftermarket on then that might change things. From what ive read a piggyback isnt very good to be running for long term.

Sorry to go back to this, why aren't the piggyback controllers great to run with long term? Or give us a link to some info...?

Aparently there isnt as much tunerbility with them, not sure myself as i know nothing about ECUs etc or most electronic rubbish in cars nower days. Just search up on here and Google for info.

Not to worried about this now as after some convincing, ITBs will be done instead of boost, befor anyone tells me its a waste of money power wise... i dont realy care i want throttle bodies for the grin factor and the noise as much as i do the increase in power and nice delivery. Will just buy a turbo car when i can afford it.