ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Defrosting in the morn..... would this work??

Clio Sport 172
Just a thought (its too cold for me to go out n see if it actually works) but in a morning, if i were to start my car up, heaters on full etc etc and wanted to leave it for 5 mins so it was nice n warm for when i was ready to leave.... but didnt want my car to get nicked. Would using the spare key to lock it remotely be ok and leave the car running as normal???

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Wuss, just put a bag over the windscreen so you can see and wear a jumper.

Black Gold 182 W/CupPacks
All you need is a jug of tepid (not hot!) water and jobs a good un, a car will warm up quicker when driven instead of leaving it to idle and wasting fuel.

Lots of Alfas
It doesnt work, the car wont lock with the spare key with the other key in the ignition. It only works if you have a mk2ph1/172mk1 where you can use the manual key locks on the passenger and drivers doors to lock it.

Clio Sport 182
take the pollen filter out it won't mist up half as bad then as the pollen filter soaks up the moist air so when its cold it steams up easier

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Love to here the eventual conversation with the insurance company. You might as well gift wrap the car for a thief. Wouldn't even have to bother with locks, just knock the window in, cars running, away you go.

mk3 golf gti
its fully insurance approved, thatchem category one. the steering lock is still in place, the wheels cant turn, and if someone got in it, i could stop it before they had chance to leave.

J

joker182

Get your wife/ girlfriend to defrost the car for you and warm it up.
All you have to do is hide bitz of chocolate/ smarties etc around car the night before , tell em what you've done and get them to start the engine whilst rumaging for the chocloate etc. Works a treat
PPP

Joker 182 :clown:

Iceberg 172
I leave it running outside for 5mins too, but with the steering lock still on and the wife's car still parked across the end of the drive blocking it in (as it is all night).

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
dont need to de-ice, car will do that while im indoors eating my breakfast!

Careful m8. As warren said, the insurers would take a very dim view of this if anything did happen to your car.

I use the warm water method and just chuck the plastic jug in the boot when done. I'm with the car at all times when defrosting it - and we're on a really quiet lane.

D.

cold water if i have to :rasp:

although ive had situations where ive had to deice it at 2pm when i leave work :dapprove::S

clio 182 sport
my other half fully defrosted the car this morn got round the corner and the windscreen froze back up again. cold temps or what

what about (being really anal now...) If you start it up, get it blowing air on the windscreen, then wind down the window all the way get out, shut the door and lock the car using the button near the hazards and then doing the auto window up button :)

would you be able to open it with the spare key....

Renaultsport 200
Pouring water on is fine when its zero degrees or -1 but when its -6 like it has been round here you go back in to put your jug back and when you get back its frozen again!

RS 182
Get your wife/ girlfriend to defrost the car for you and warm it up.
All you have to do is hide bitz of chocolate/ smarties etc around car the night before , tell em what you've done and get them to start the engine whilst rumaging for the chocloate etc. Works a treat
PPP

Joker 182 :clown:
By far the most practical solution IMO.

Astra SRI CDTI,Hornet FA8
Im not keen on letting the car idle when its cold... Rather get it up to temp on the move, it warms up faster so engine wear is less (so I tell myself :clown:) Plus the Clio sounds awful on idle when cold lol. Chuck luke warm water on the glass, set off and suffer the cold until warm air starts coming through.

fad

Clio 182 FF
The quickest way to warm the car up is to drive it.

Leaving it there to sit idling isnt worth it in really cold conditions.

Up rocks
u cant loack the your car with the spare whilst running

I can. Just use the actual locks, not the remote, works just fine for me. Boot stays unlocked though, just have to hope a would be thief would just try the doors and not the boot.

Iceberg 172
The quickest way to warm the car up is to drive it.

Leaving it there to sit idling isnt worth it in really cold conditions.

But you can't drive it (or shouldn't) until the windscreen is de-frosted and/or de-misted, which is the whole point of the thread! :rolleyes: