ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Just taken some body stickers off my clio (have been on for a year or 2) and for the most part they came off just fine, no damage to paint. Some have left some residue when they were taken off, and also left an outline mark where the sticker was (not a permanent mark). Whats the easiest way to remove these marks?

TARdis or similar to remove the adhesive then polish to remove any fading.

Try something like tripple/super resin polish first, they're a mildly abrasive cleanser which may sort it out.

If not, get a dedicated polish to try and bring it up.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Spent today giving my brothers ST a good clean and got some protection down on it.

Was hoping my Fusso99 would of turned up today as it will be the perfect car to test durability on but hey ho, Will just have to wait til i get back from work in 4 weeks LOL!

Whipped all 4 wheels off to give them a deep clean, I don't think the fronts have every been cleaned properly. Couple hits with Smartwheels in various dilutions cleaned them up nicely though followed by some Korrosol and Tardis to remove the few tar spots. Arches were also cleaned up using VP Citrus pro and callipers with smart wheels again. Didn't get them sealed this time as i don't have anything that is suitable at the moment.

While the wheels were off the car was hit with some VP citrus as a prewash to loosen the worst of the crap off, This actually cleaned the car up to about 95% clean, Well impressed and if i wasn't going to lay down any protection i would of probably left it like that. 2BM using maxi suds and various brushes for all the grills, That front honeycomb one is a proper PITA as is the rear above the splitter.
Car was dried then Decon'd with Korrosol and Tardis. Fallout wasn't too bad but the whole car reacted. Rear was coated in tar spots as where the front wings.

After i had wiped down the tardis it was then snow foamed using Carchem foam to get rid of any traces of tardis etc, Dried off again.

Overall the paint isn't that bad on it, light swirls as to be expected and a few stone chips but no major blemishes or marks, Certainly nothing that won't come out with a light cut.

As the weather wasn't looking to stay dry i didn't manage to get round the whole car with the DA but i managed to use some Prima Amigo on a finishing pad to add a bit more gloss to the rear bumper and door shuts where the worst looking marks were. BSD was used at the end to give it enough protection hopefully to do it when i get back in 4 weeks time.

Sorry to say but i didn't get any before or durings, was trying to get it done before the heavens opened,Which they did briefly after it was done so managed to see how BSD beads and sheets water. Impressive for what is essentially a QD imo.

Some afters.

16637533906_3da2ca6b43_b.jpg
DSC_1940
by Jamie_Atkinson, on Flickr

16043513503_a2715b9e4c_b.jpg
DSC_1941

16661938281_bd8473f1af_b.jpg
DSC_1965

16661960311_54237f8fa1_b.jpg
DSC_1963

16661919681_9446ec8d06_b.jpg
DSC_1966

16475890710_372c9f7bde_b.jpg
DSC_1968

16041190844_85aae6e8bc_b.jpg
DSC_1935

Rear jacking point covers are missing, Awaiting them arriving at the dealers.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Can't believe that stuff isn't there yet. I f**king hate RM! There is another sample in it also for you mate.

That thing looks immense!

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Aye typical, They always seem to be slower when your actually waiting on something. They are generally alright up here mind you, I would say that though since my old man is the local Postie LOL!

Cheers mate, Im growing to like it more and more its a superb little thing IMO. He picked it up on Wed and I've driven it more than he has LOL! Took it over the Megane the past couple of days!

That might have something to do with the fact that the Fiesta has brakes that work properly and not ones that have seized pistons and needing pads/discs all round...

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Few photos for you guys of the Porsche Boxster S 986 I have been working on for the last couple of days.

MultiStage Correction using KochChemie compounds and pads, refined with Koch Chemie Anti Hologramm.

Paint sealed with Swissvax Cleaner Fluid Regular and 2 coats of Shield. Wheels protected with GTechniq C2V3 and roof sealed with AutoFinesse RagTop.

Snowfoamed with KochChemie NanoMagic Shampoo after decontamination. If you haven't tried this yet, you need to!

16639875826_63e669f9e6_c.jpg
Boxster S 986 Correction Detail by Lawro1988, on Flickr

After a single pass with KC Heavy Cut 8.02 on the bootlid..

16478226908_6d2028d203_c.jpg

Completed shots after a wipedown with Swissvax Quick Finish.

16639875706_2ca700c3c7_c.jpg

16639875306_7587355546_c.jpg

16478225958_10176ec722_c.jpg

16479655819_5089e989e1_c.jpg

16665801465_847a46e215_c.jpg

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Looks great Lawro, I always enjoy dark coloured stuff, can see what you have achieved so much easier without having to use various lights.

FF Artic 182
probably should of asked before but opinions on Gtechniq glass sealant? any good??
just ordered the glass cleaning kit from Ultimate Finish

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
G1 is probably still the daddy. CARPRO Forte very impressive and no G2 required for removal etc.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Only downside with Gtechniq is its fussy application IMO

I actually found a bottle of it still sealed when i tidied up, Glad i did as i was going to buy more LOL!

Durability of it is good, I applied it to the Megane about 18 months ago and the side windows still bead and sheet water like it did when it was just applied. That must be almost 20k as well by now! Front and rear didn't last as long but I had my front screen replaced and never bother re coating it as i cba with the hassle at the time, Just been using Rain X on it, which is great if you take the time to prep it.

@gally Isn't G2 just IPA? Its what i ended up using as i didn't have enough G2 left

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I got over 12 months of G1 with new wipers. 3 layers on the front and then a good wipe down after 15 minutes with residue remover.

Carpro Forte is so much easier to apply. Currently on 3 months and still working away from a sample I had on my test bed.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Dark cars are so rewarding but I always want to kill myself when working on them lol.

How did you find rag top @Lawro?

True that!

I start off thinking to myself, why on earth would somebody buy a black car.. At the end I always think, yes, this is why.

Then it's covered in dust 15 minutes later and I return to my first thought lol!

Well, the cleaner was excellent, foams up really well and offers plenty of bite. The protector seemed very grabby on the fibres of the roof and didn't seem to offer great coverage. Ended up using that entire sample doing 2 coats which seemed like a lot of product in comparison to what I would normally use with I1.

I'm putting it down to the atomiser on the sample bottle at the moment so will purchase full size when it's released to see how it fairs.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
True that!

I start off thinking to myself, why on earth would somebody buy a black car.. At the end I always think, yes, this is why.

Then it's covered in dust 15 minutes later and I return to my first thought lol!

Well, the cleaner was excellent, foams up really well and offers plenty of bite. The protector seemed very grabby on the fibres of the roof and didn't seem to offer great coverage. Ended up using that entire sample doing 2 coats which seemed like a lot of product in comparison to what I would normally use with I1.

I'm putting it down to the atomiser on the sample bottle at the moment so will purchase full size when it's released to see how it fairs.

As I've not got a soft top I think I'll try it on my regatta jacket lol.

What did you use to apply the protector? And did it soak in or just not cover well from the spray nozzle?

AF say 2/3 coats is best for protection don't they?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
AF Have released more 'originals'.

Same strategy as Desire?

*LIMITED HURRY HURRY BUY BUY VERY SPECIAL YES*

Oh, here's some more. *STILL VERY SPECIAL*

They will be available 365 pretty soon I imagine.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
As I've not got a soft top I think I'll try it on my regatta jacket lol.

What did you use to apply the protector? And did it soak in or just not cover well from the spray nozzle?

AF say 2/3 coats is best for protection don't they?

I'd try it on some interior mats mate..

Just sprayed the protector onto the fabric surface as I would normally with i1. Normally with i1 you can see it spreading over the fibres but the AF Ragtop appeared very grabby and you could see it clinging to one section.

Yeah 2-3 coats is best for durability, I only had enough product for 2 unfortunately.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
AF Have released more 'originals'.

Same strategy as Desire?

*LIMITED HURRY HURRY BUY BUY VERY SPECIAL YES*

Oh, here's some more. *STILL VERY SPECIAL*

They will be available 365 pretty soon I imagine.

From what I understand they hoped to do 3 releases a year of a limited number. (Approx 15)

They are all individual designs and hand painted so I doubt they will be available 365 but I see what you're saying mate.

It appears this release is just pinstriped. No where near as nice as the last bunch IMO with gold leaf etc.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'd try it on some interior mats mate..

Just sprayed the protector onto the fabric surface as I would normally with i1. Normally with i1 you can see it spreading over the fibres but the AF Ragtop appeared very grabby and you could see it clinging to one section.

Yeah 2-3 coats is best for durability, I only had enough product for 2 unfortunately.

Thats not a bad idea actually. Cheers

BG Clio 182
b1e9fc85de57f0fdb46325e688763238.jpg

Blurry I know. Is this pad still okay to use? I've washed it really well but it's a bit weird in the middle, only been used once.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
As long as there's no dirt on it and it's free from old product you'll be fine.

These marks, I'm 99% sure it's my drying towel/technique?!

Causes/preventions?

16493608018_f0e7aa9516_h.jpg

I have some Meguiars Compound, which I'm confident will help sort these (I think I've done this before).

BG Clio 182

Causes/preventions?

I have some Meguiars Compound, which I'm confident will help sort these (I think I've done this before).
It looks like a drying mark mate. Just buy a better towel and use some QD when drying to prevent lol.

Reactions: C.J
  BG Clio 182
Yeah sorry pal get a quick detailing spray, there's millions about. It's very similar to a clay bar lubricant if you've used that?

It lubricates the area so when you dry it it doesn't drag so much mate, you normally get that if the car's nearly dried in the sun if you get me?

Make sure you get a good quality big purpose made drying towel and dry. Spray a few sprays of quick detailer onto the towel or surface and dry. This lubricates and stops it dragging ;)

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG

Causes/preventions?

Iirc BMW paint is quite hard. So you must dry it hard lol

Try a new towel, pat dry it instead of swiping it. As said also use a QD to aid drying.

What microfibres/ applicators are you using to apply lsp? These can also cause damage.

What wash mitt are you using? Have you thought about applying a second snow foam layer to aid washing?

Every little helps

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Sell the black car or have it resprayed a lighter colour.

It'll reduce the visibility of the marks.

Seriously though, give it a must with a quick detailer before drying, then rinse over the quick detailer before patting it dry with a towel.

When waxing, dampen the applicator a little first with a qd.

What microfibres/ applicators are you using to apply lsp? These can also cause damage.

What wash mitt are you using? Have you thought about applying a second snow foam layer to aid washing?

Every little helps
Wash mitt is a DoDo Juice sheep skin.
Applicator pads are meguiars hand pads.
Microfibres are some generic ones from CYC (75% polyester, 25% polyamide microfiber).
Towel is either a big CYC waffle weave, or a Kent Q6100 (I bought this one as I thought the waffle weave was a bad one).

Any of that lot a bad idea?

Seriously though, give it a must with a quick detailer before drying, then rinse over the quick detailer before patting it dry with a towel.

After washing and rinsing, I towel dry straight away (to prevent water marks etc). Should I be leaning it to dry on its own, then using a QD to towel try? Or when it's wet also use a QD?

Last edited:

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
No, none of that sounds bad tbh...

It's more a fault in process than products, easily rectified.

So after your initial pre wash routine (whether it be citrus or snow foam etc) you need to re snowfoam and wash whilst it's still on the car. You notice straight away how much nicer it is.

Then drying spray a bit of QD on each panel then pat down with a damp towel. You still always get swirls as you're making contact with the paint.

Using the above process my fiesta has minimal to no visible swirls after 6months of weekly washing.

Then drying spray a bit of QD on each panel then pat down with a damp towel. You still always get swirls as you're making contact with the paint.

So after the final rinse, do I allow the car to dry itself (possibly getting water marks?) then use a QD & towel, or while the car is still wet (straight after a rinse) apply a QD and towel dry?

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
you can use a qd to reduce drying time,so yes thats fine.quality of the microfibre cloths imo can affect marks swirls etc

FF Artic 182
Only downside with Gtechniq is its fussy application IMO

I actually found a bottle of it still sealed when i tidied up, Glad i did as i was going to buy more LOL!

Durability of it is good, I applied it to the Megane about 18 months ago and the side windows still bead and sheet water like it did when it was just applied. That must be almost 20k as well by now! Front and rear didn't last as long but I had my front screen replaced and never bother re coating it as i cba with the hassle at the time, Just been using Rain X on it, which is great if you take the time to prep it.

@gally Isn't G2 just IPA? Its what i ended up using as i didn't have enough G2 left

I got over 12 months of G1 with new wipers. 3 layers on the front and then a good wipe down after 15 minutes with residue remover.

Carpro Forte is so much easier to apply. Currently on 3 months and still working away from a sample I had on my test bed.

see ive only had a little bit of experience with DDJ sealant which with only 2 layers is still beading well on wind screen after 5 months, was pretty straight forward tbh.
whats so fussy about the Gtechniq? any tips?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Wash mitt is a DoDo Juice sheep skin.
Applicator pads are meguiars hand pads.
Microfibres are some generic ones from CYC (75% polyester, 25% polyamide microfiber).
Towel is either a big CYC waffle weave, or a Kent Q6100 (I bought this one as I thought the waffle weave was a bad one).

Any of that lot a bad idea?

After washing and rinsing, I towel dry straight away (to prevent water marks etc). Should I be leaning it to dry on its own, then using a QD to towel try? Or when it's wet also use a QD?

Here's what I do:
-rinse with an open ended hose (after jetting off) to sheet the water away, and leave for a minute
- lay the towel on the roof and spread out as if you're smearing the towel with something
-gently pull the Rowell towards you without applying any more pressure than the towels own weight, repeat for horizontal panels.
-for vertical, holding the open or in half I sway it back and forth onto the paint so that the flat open towell hits the paint with a dabbing action. Any further water or more intricate areas I pat dry with the towell folded.
-finish with a 2xmf QD wipe down. If using only 1mf, you're 'applications towell' will end up being too damp to buff away the QD.
Basically, there is rubbing/buffing until the wipedown.
Hope that makes sense.