ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

BMW 320d SE
I picked up two bottles of these last week from ECP for just under £6. I must say I’m very impressed with it too. They’re now £8 a bottle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Did the whole car (bar the roof and bumper) in that Turtle wax last night.

Weirdly, it acts better when its sprayed directly onto the panel, spread and buffed. Ive recently got into the habbit of spraying the cloth and using that to spread as I always used to get better results. Still, looks good and will bead well for a few weeks.

Even did the wheels as a topper for the ceramic.

@Sunglasses_Ron it does smell really nice, youre not wrong

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
11L DI Vessel has just arrived brimed with MB-151.

Shes hella chonky.

Hopefully this should solve my water filtering issues of late.....

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
How bad are clay mitts for marring?

I want to clay all 3 cars but I cba being mega methodical with a clay bar or machining them afterwards. I'm not too precious about the paint but still don't want them to look like they've been washed with a brick when the sun hits them.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
How bad are clay mitts for marring?

I want to clay all 3 cars but I cba being mega methodical with a clay bar or machining them afterwards. I'm not too precious about the paint but still don't want them to look like they've been washed with a brick when the sun hits them.
Ive used Farcella clay mitts a lot and never had any marring. As long as the paintwork is wet and well lubricated you shouldn't have any problems. It makes a very monotonous job very easy.
You don't need to apply any pressure. The weight of the wet clay mitt is enough to work. I wash the car, leave it wet and have a bucket of clean water with shampoo in and dip the mitt in to keep it lubricated. You soon feel when any contaminants are removed with how it glides smoothly over the paintwork.
ep-Clean/dp/B00K4UVUEG/ref=asc_df_B00K4UVUEG/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309775958298&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18297338923053558721&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006458&hvtargid=pla-379397475564&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Last edited:

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
As above, they're not that bad. I would do the glass on all 3 vehicles (or the first one at the least) as it just takes the harshness away. Plus clay'd glass is a thing of wonder!

As @MRBILLYUK has said, plenty of lube (lol) and you'll be fine. If any of them are black or have softer paint then go very easy or leave that one till last. From memory, I think I saw some lighter grade clay pads coming on to the market too now so that could be worth while researching @leeds2592

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
So, cars I'd be doing is my Inferno 182, my *something* grey E92 and my other halfs finance white mk4 Clio.

Should be safe with none being black?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Search clay mitt marring and decide. Just because it's not black doesn't mean it won't marr the paint, I'm sure you know this lol.

I would use a clay bar, bilt hamber (soft).

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
So, cars I'd be doing is my Inferno 182, my *something* grey E92 and my other halfs finance white mk4 Clio.

Yeah, id have said so. I havent corrected a renault so cant comment on that. I think @Gally would be the man to ask.

The BMW though, yeah, thats gonna just laugh at everything.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Be better using fallout removers, tar removers etc no? I’m just not convinced clay bars are needed unless you’re machining afterwards. But I’m a noob so f**k knows.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Ever felt a freshly clayed car son? No fallout/tar remover etc is gonna get that stupendous feeling.

I have, yea. Wasn’t suggesting it was going to be as good. Just that if you’re not machining after, is it worth it. Smooth-ish, decent looking paint is probably better than marred to f**k smooth paint 😂

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

Never had a problem on my Arctic blue. Keep the paintwork well lubed like i said using a bucket of soapy water and crack on. 👍 It takes no time at all to do a full car. f**k using a clay bar, all that pissing about folding it and trying not to drop it. 😉

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I did a full decon wash the other day and was amazed how little came off/was left when I got round to the bilt hamber clay bar. I used Korrosol, Tar X and Surfex HD during the wash before hand and must say they all did an amazing job but I'm also pretty impressed by how little the car was contaminated. I'm certain the Gtechniq CSL is long gone but I guess it's safe to say it did it's job for a while even if the beading wasn't quite there anymore.

Hopefully will get a chance to run the Flex PXE 80 over a few panels this weekend now it's all been decontaminated.

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
I've used bars, mitts and cloths and they all work pretty well. I've been using these for around 6 months though, haven't picked anything up since. They're not harsh and being so soft can contour round edges etc.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Turtle wax doing its thing.

not the best beading ever but its decent enough and obviously slick as half the beads are rolling off
20220507_140852.jpg

20220507_140924.jpg

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Seriously impressed with the Flex and Car pro essence with the orange lake country pads today. Managed to get more done than I had planned it's so easy yet brings amazing results plus the fact you can just wipe off with a MF cloth very happy with it hopefully I can carry on where I left off next weekend.

20220508_111549-01.jpeg

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Ah ok. There's a chap with the same car as you, washes it 19 times a week. Thought you were that chap ha ha.

Haha definitely not me through winter it's lucky to get 1 wash a month. Although that might change after I started using that local jet wash place I posted the other week it's so convenient.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Right, I need to order myself a DA and stop pissing about. The BM is in dire need of a detail, and the golf could do with a once over. I know nothing about them, or what the different pads do etc. I think I'm going to order a starter kit, like this:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
In2detailing DA8 is a good shout. I like mine. Roughly £120.

I really liked my spta machine. There is the more powerful version on amazon at 90. I'd probably buy that again.

Or the mitchell and king polisher.

Screenshot_20220513_110648_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
The previous spta machine being a 15mm was and should be better at doing flat panels over my da8. The latter just takes a little longer being an 8mm.

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Another vote for the in2detailing DA8 & Scholl S20 and pads bundle, I’m a complete novice in the world of machine polishing and so far I’ve buffed the Clio’s headlights with it…didn’t ruin or melt them so it’s a winner 😂

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
In2detailing DA8 is a good shout. I like mine. Roughly £120.

I really liked my spta machine. There is the more powerful version on amazon at 90. I'd probably buy that again.

Or the mitchell and king polisher.

View attachment 1592794

I bought the in2detailing das8 and Scholl S20. Haven't used it yet...

Another vote for the in2detailing DA8 & Scholl S20 and pads bundle, I’m a complete novice in the world of machine polishing and so far I’ve buffed the Clio’s headlights with it…didn’t ruin or melt them so it’s a winner 😂

This one?

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Seemingly picked the windiest day of the year to decon the car for summer. Pretty much watching 90% of each Tar-X spray vanishing into thin air. Oh well, started now…

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5

This one?
I also have that one.

Only used it a handful of times on headlights but seems great for the money.