ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Yeah I’ve got a Blo one. It’s pretty decent. Having said that it’s only any good for drying the paintwork if there’s a good hydrophobic coating on. But if all you want it for is getting water out of those nooks and crannies then they’re perfect.
This. If you’re wanting to do a whole car, they’re pointless unless your car is ceramic coated or similar.

I have a Ryobi leaf blower that doubles up as my wheel/tyre dryer and to get all the water out the awkward bits that leave water marks once I’ve been over the car with a towel.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Not sure if here is the right place but where is good to buy some carbon fibre looking wrap? I want some for the splitter on the m3 but the place that does that kind of stuff round here only had matt finish and for some reason it wouldn’t stick to it

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Not sure if here is the right place but where is good to buy some carbon fibre looking wrap? I want some for the splitter on the m3 but the place that does that kind of stuff round here only had matt finish and for some reason it wouldn’t stick to it
I get this but off our vinyl guy in work. He said it’s s**t for big stuff but for smaller intricate bits it’s really good.
I always find a warmer workshop is always best too. I only do little things like badges and mirror covers. Tbh you could do the splitter in the kitchen, leave the splitter and the wrap to get to room temperature then do it off the car.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone used or know of any good soft top waterproofer?
I’ve used GTechniqs Smart Fabric when I bought my Z3 but either it’s not the best for roofs or I didn’t put enough on as it hasn’t lasted long

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I’ve used GTechniqs Smart Fabric when I bought my Z3 but either it’s not the best for roofs or I didn’t put enough on as it hasn’t lasted long

This is brilliant. But you must make sure the roof is 100% bone dry before you do it or it may end up a bit patchy.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member

This is brilliant. But you must make sure the roof is 100% bone dry before you do it or it may end up a bit patchy.
Bought. Now have the issue of it being cold/freezing so it will never be dry enough to get it done :rolleyes:

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Any recommendation for snow foam? I’ve been using the autoglym stuff and it’s not particularly great. It doesn’t really lift anything off.

It is very foamy though

IMG_3880.jpeg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Nah doesn’t do much. Grab a decent citrus pre wash, pop that on first then the ag stuff for pics. Sorted ✔️

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
First time using a citrus pre wash on the better half’s car which hadn’t been washed for a good few weeks, and it’s white. Carchem stuff was impressive.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I’m glad it’s not just me that thought that. Smells lovely, goes on lovely, looks lovely… but didn’t really seem to do anything. 😂

Aye, it doesn’t half look the part but it lifted literally nothing. Pleased I’m not the only one 😂. I used it almost neat today to see if it was just too diluted and it was still the same

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Any recommendation for snow foam? I’ve been using the autoglym stuff and it’s not particularly great. It doesn’t really lift anything off.

It is very foamy though

View attachment 1675262

Everyone bangs on about Autofoam and Last Touch by Bilt Ham.

I have Autofoam but I'm not sure it's much better than a prewash in a pump sprayer?!?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Yeah the ag snow foam is trash, I just use there polar wash for both seem to do a better job and foams up quite well.
Or if it’s a full decon then good old fairy liquid is pretty unbeatable.

Pressure washer decided to pack in today so I had to apply polar seal with a spray bottle, pissed me right off.
Decided I’m just going to buy a screwfix branded one next been unimpressed with Nilfisk and Karchers I’ve had.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yeah the ag snow foam is trash, I just use there polar wash for both seem to do a better job and foams up quite well.
Or if it’s a full decon then good old fairy liquid is pretty unbeatable.

Pressure washer decided to pack in today so I had to apply polar seal with a spray bottle, pissed me right off.
Decided I’m just going to buy a screwfix branded one next been unimpressed with Nilfisk and Karchers I’ve had.
If you’ve got a few quid about you… get one of these. Absolutely amazing and you won’t need another one. Ever.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
If you’ve got a few quid about you… get one of these. Absolutely amazing and you won’t need another one. Ever.

I’ve been waiting for my k4 to die so I can get one of these, but it’s hanging on in there. 😕

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Bilthanber for me also. I've used a lot of snowfoam over the years. Even our business clean 1300+ cars a year so I get to test some s**t. We use infinity wax power snow foam daily due to the cost/performance. But Built Hamber is still the daddy for me.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Bilthamber here as well. During the winter I often just foam and rinse. Too cold for pissing about washing for longer than that.

Reactions: JD

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Bit of a random one, but slightly detailing related...

Just had the new kitchen at home fitted. The wife wanted a Belfast/Butler sink and it's bloody enormous. I'm also slightly concerned about marks / stains. So, with plenty of it kicking around the garage, I thought "Why don't I ceramic coat it?".

Anyone done it? Does it work?

Pics of the enormous sink

1705161698261.png

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182

Just had the new kitchen at home fitted. The wife wanted a Belfast/Butler sink and it's bloody enormous. I'm also slightly concerned about marks / stains. So, with plenty of it kicking around the garage, I thought "Why don't I ceramic coat it?".

View attachment 1675944

It’d get removed pretty quick if you’re using dish soap and chucking bleach in there?

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182

View attachment 1675944

Haven’t done it on a sink but I did the glass shower screen and tiles in my bathroom. Works an absolute treat for keeping them clean

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Haven’t done it on a sink but I did the glass shower screen and tiles in my bathroom. Works an absolute treat for keeping them clean
I've been meaning to do my shower screen in some glass water repellant.

Also want to do the same with my glasses as they get pretty dirty very quickly for some reason but worried the extra coating will give more glare or something, it is hard enough driving in the dark as all I see for every light is a lense flare (which quickly adds up when on the motorway or a lot of oncoming traffic!) so don't want to make it worse.

View attachment 1675944
We used to have a Belfast sink in a previous house growing up, didn't get any marks on it one bit and iirc we didn't use a washing up bowl either. I really like them and will be having on in the dream kitchen whenever that happens.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
It’d get removed pretty quick if you’re using dish soap and chucking bleach in there?
Yeah, possibly. But I don't mind doing it once in a while? The company it's from make their own but it's gotta just be the same stuff, just more expensive.

I'll give it a whirl and see how long it lasts. Generally high solid ceramic coatings are pretty chemically resistant. But then again, I don't see many people bleaching their cars so maybe it's not designed for that 🤣

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

View attachment 1675944

Looks like an Essex girls teeth that!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Yeah, possibly. But I don't mind doing it once in a while? The company it's from make their own but it's gotta just be the same stuff, just more expensive.

I'll give it a whirl and see how long it lasts. Generally high solid ceramic coatings are pretty chemically resistant. But then again, I don't see many people bleaching their cars so maybe it's not designed for that 🤣

I tried it on our old stainless steel sink and it didn't last at all.

We just bleach our sink or a bicarb spray.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Well, it definitely works. I slapped it on really thick and didn't buff at all so it's got a nice thick layer on it. Not as slick as you'd expect but that's due to no buff. I wonder how long it will last!

1000106537.jpg

It's designed for interior fabrics so won't last long in the elements. Renovo is still my go to. Lasts a good two to three years in my experience if applied correctly as Dan has said.

I think I've asked this recently but best looking/lasting quick spray sealant? Just noted EasyCoat from Gtechniq and a big fan of the brand. Has anyone tried it up against Gyeon et al? @Gally perhaps, brother?!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I think I've asked this recently but best looking/lasting quick spray sealant? Just noted EasyCoat from Gtechniq and a big fan of the brand. Has anyone tried it up against Gyeon et al? @Gally perhaps, brother?!

Gyeon wet coat with Gyeon bathe+ would be a great combo if I had to qo quick again.

Reactions: JD