ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Different tyre profile sizes

t3 corolla 116bhp
hi all

quick question, i'm currently running 205/50/16 tyres on my car and need 2 new front tyres. I ahd managed to find a very good deal on 2 new bridgestones but they only have them in the 205/55/16 size.

would it be safe to have these 2 on the car or do all 4 need to be same profile size, rather than just same profile on each axle?

Cheers

J

t3 corolla 116bhp
i thought 5mm wouldnt make too much difference. anyway, the tyres on it now are fortuna sports which are absolutely AWFUL and probably less safe than 2 bridgestones with a slightly higher profile

t3 corolla 116bhp
the thing is, if i get these tyres, the higher profile will be on the front i.e 55s, so nose up

PH2 Flamer
205/50 has a side wall size of 102.5mm.
205/55 has a side wall size of 112.75mm.

I wouldnt go for something with that much difference.

Stick with 205/50. Imo. 112.75 is a huge sidewall.

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
205/50 has a side wall size of 102.5mm.
205/55 has a side wall size of 112.75mm.

I wouldnt go for something with that much difference.

Stick with 205/50. Imo. 112.75 is a huge sidewall.

If the load and speed ratings are correct, then does the sidewall still matter?

PH2 Flamer
Well, just means the tyre can take the same load and speed.

My point was, itll look stupid and they will have more flex.

phase 1 flamer 172
It would look weird with taller sidewalls on the front, easily sorted put on the rear.

t3 corolla 116bhp
It would look weird with taller sidewalls on the front, easily sorted put on the rear.

fair point, just would rather have had the better quality rubber on the front axle rather than the back. The difference in the price between 55 profile and 50 is nearly double, hence why i'm stalling. had it only been a few quid, i would stick to the original profiles...

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Ok .. but as above, there's 4" difference in overall height.

Just go with the OEM size.

Blackcircles / Camskill FTW.

Try a 215/50 or 45 instead of 55 perhaps ?

Plenty of tyre calculators online to see what's what if your original size are 'that' awkward to get hold of.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Advice applies to both fwd and rwd cars. You end up with understeer rather than oversteer

Mine always go on the front and always will. Or if they really needed to go on the back I would wear them in on the front first.

The difference in the price between 55 profile and 50 is nearly double

If that's the case can't you just get a set of four of the cheaper ones, sell on the pair of part worns from your car that still have some life in them, then at least everything will be even front and backs... Different front and rear profiles on a car that should have the same will look daft.

You shouldn't scrimp on tyres...