ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Digital SLR cameras

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
If its between the glass elements no way mate. Are you sure the dust isn't on either end of the lens? :S

Fiesta Zetec S (for sale)
The dust is more than likely on your sensor rather than being on either end of the lense and it's highly unlikely to be inside the lense.

To see if the dust is on you sensor try this...go outside, stop the aperture down to about F22, set the shutter speed accordingly and take a picture of the sky. If there's any dust on your sensor it will show up clear as day on the picture as grey/black spots all over the picture.

My sensors have recently been cleaned though I now have a rather large hair on one of em which you can see here... http://www.craigcmartin.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/dustonsensor.jpg and quite a few spots too.

try it and let me know how you get on

Regards

106 GTi
Cheers guys - No it is definatley in the lens itself. Reading on the net is a common 18-55 kit lens problem. They have little or no weather sealing by the sounds of it. There is a thin layer all over the inside of the front glass of the lens. I have now replaced it with a 28-105 lens now anyway, and will get something a little wider at a later date.

top of the pyramid
Thankfully not had any problems with the nikons standard lens (18-55) it doesnt take that bad of pictures either

Attachments

• DSC_0028.jpg
    DSC_0028.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 40
  Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
Just purchased a canon 350D, excellent camera. Got the body only for £420 as I already have an EF lens which is compatible with the camera.

I have read good reports about the Nikon D50 but i want the extra 2mil pixels the canon 350d offered

top of the pyramid
crazycup said:
Just purchased a canon 350D, excellent camera. Got the body only for £420 as I already have an EF lens which is compatible with the camera.

I have read good reports about the Nikon D50 but i want the extra 2mil pixels the canon 350d offered

how come you gonna do massive prints?

whats the better lens, sigma 70-300apo macro dg or tamaron 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Asp?

1.2 dynamique
igot the 300d with 2x coverter with a 75 -300 lens ...love it

Attachments

• pedro (Small).JPG
    pedro (Small).JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 34

dk

911 GTS Cab
TELFORDS_LURK said:
View attachment 7319

Taken with my 70-300 lens on a Nikon D70s.

TT DECKS, how do you find the 2x adapters, worth investing for track stuff??

Chris
stunning pic but you must be gutted you chopped the cone off, was so close to being a perfect pic!

RS 200
dave182 said:
stunning pic but you must be gutted you chopped the cone off, was so close to being a perfect pic!

I know, I was pretty gutted at chopping about an inch off the nose, but was still really pleased with it as it was the first time I had used my DSLR at the track.
Plus it aint a bad result considering I was trying to get the side on shot of something that was going past me at about 130+ mph.

Edit: 1280Alonso.jpg heres a Renault for good measure, this one has been cropped, but still kept the quality of the original image.

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab
TELFORDS_LURK said:
I know, I was pretty gutted at chopping about an inch off the nose, but was still really pleased with it as it was the first time I had used my DSLR at the track.
Plus it aint a bad result considering I was trying to get the side on shot of something that was going past me at about 130+ mph.

Edit: View attachment 7320 heres a Renault for good measure, this one has been cropped, but still kept the quality of the original image.
very nice

1.2 dynamique
i got the converter from a camera shop in sheffield ... when i had a normal canon slr, my lenses fit straight to the 300d thats why i bought it ..... plus it has got the 4 shot burst so you can pan around and follow the car ideal for the track....

top of the pyramid
whats the better lens, sigma 70-300apo macro dg or tamaron 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Asp? gonna get one of them for fcs

whats a good place to host images currently using photobucket but it cuts themdown alot?

RS 200
TT DECKS said:
i got the converter from a camera shop in sheffield ... when i had a normal canon slr, my lenses fit straight to the 300d thats why i bought it ..... plus it has got the 4 shot burst so you can pan around and follow the car ideal for the track....

Cheers, might see if I can try out a converter at the local camera shop to see if it would be an advantage.

As you say the burst is a very nice feature, infact the Alonso / Renault picture was taken using a burst. The Nikon D70s, which is what I have takes 3 FPS so I just held the shutter down and followed it around the corner.

Chris

106 GTi
Leeds_VTO said:
whats the better lens, sigma 70-300apo macro dg or tamaron 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Asp? gonna get one of them for fcs

whats a good place to host images currently using photobucket but it cuts themdown alot?

I have the Sigma its not bad, but very soft over 200mm. Mate has a Tamron but a 70-300 so no real comps.

Good lens reviews here http://www.fredmiranda.com/

I got annoyed with Photobucket, buy some we spaces and use Photoshop to make automated web gallerys.

top of the pyramid
still dunno sigma is looking like a better lens
ive got about £200 to spend any sugestions has to fit nikon want a zoom looking at 300mm

For a cheapish zoom, many recommend the Sigma 70-300mm as you stated above. I'd go for that over the Nikon 70-300mm and even the ED version which just has uprated elements.

106 GTi
As above for the budget you wont get much more. I can fault mine apart from it is quite soft at max reach.

1.2 dynamique
telfords is that from the test in april or from the gp didnt make to the test but there is suppose to be some this week which i will be goin to, will have to wait and see

RS 200
Yeah was at the April test a couple of weeks ago now. There was a really good attendance from the teams and there was a lot of spectators there to for that time of the year.

Rest of the pics can be seen here: http://s130967247.websitehome.co.uk/motorsport/testing260406/index.html

JV.jpg << This one wasnt easy to take with the heavy SLR at the end of my arm and trying to get a good aim in the few seconds I had available, again the burst came in handy to get a few shots.

Chris

top of the pyramid
Rich said:
As above for the budget you wont get much more. I can fault mine apart from it is quite soft at max reach.
i wanna use it at max rach though for trackdays witha 2x converter i currently have the nikon 70-300 and lookinf for something a little sharper
DSC_0110.gif

pic with current lens with coverter on at 600mm

106 GTi
I dont know how much sharper the Sigma will be than you Nikon, it is still really a budget lens. How sharp is the Nikon without the extender on? A cheap extender will kill a lens.

top of the pyramid
Its not really much sharper dunno if you could get that image any sharper because sun was going down about dusk , ^^^ i didnt think that image was that bad

Mr2 Roadster
Quickly, Canon IS lens have two IS settings. Number 1 is for general handheld movement and should be turned off for tripod use. And Number 2 which is for tracking moving objects. When tracking moving objects you need to select your tracking sensitivity accordingly in the custom functions menu.

IS isn't something that is that helpful apart from when used at shutter speeds under 160/250 as it does actually interfer with the sharpness of your picture.

Converters, 1.4x and 2.0x both visably reduce the quality of your pictures as well. This is very noicable on zoom lens where as fixed/prime lens suffer less but it's still noticable.

Zoom lens are normally sharp at either end of the focal distances, eg, 70-200mm will be best at 70mm and 200mm but may struggle at the 130mm distances. That said the 70-200mm F2.8 is the best zoom lens Canon ever made and is sharp all the way through.

A good affordable lens for those on a budget is the 70-200mm F4 which is very cheap secondhand and not too bad new either.

Hope this may clear up any questions in this thread.

106 GTi
iPap said:
Converters, 1.4x and 2.0x both visably reduce the quality of your pictures as well. This is very noicable on zoom lens where as fixed/prime lens suffer less but it's still noticable.

Any comparison examples with and without a 1.4x in use? Some people say they effect qulaity lots, some say hardly noticeable?

Using my 70-200 4L and 1.4x Canon extender, my pictures will still be better than with my cheap Sigma 70-300 which is soft over 200mm anyway though?

Cheers

Rich

top of the pyramid
thanks for the help gone for the tamaron 28-300 been looking on the specs and it says if your camera has a aps-c sensor it will take it up to a max of 465mm "When used with APS-C size digital SLR cameras, the lens provides an angle of view equivalent to approximately 44-465mm" tanken from the web site, i know it wont quite be that much i think the sensor on nikon allows 1.6x and cannon 1.7x something like that.

Dont want to get addicted to buying lens, so easy to do though