ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Digital SLR cameras

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
LOL mate its got to be done. I've got a 2x extender just in case so I can go to 400mm.

I will be getting the 1.4 though. You only drop 1 f/stop too so at 300mm you're running on f5.6. Which isn't too bad when you conider the price.

106 GTi
I think I will get the 70-200 4L and the 1.4 at the end of the month. Unless I can find some ebay bargains!

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
The extenders are bargains on ebay. Keep your eyes peeled. I'm getting the 2x tonight and will pick up a 1.4 in due course. :)

106 GTi
Just seen the extenders, and also found a 70-200 4L brand new local to me as well :) Just need to phone him - £387 Collected. Oh dear!

SLK 350
Ill sell you my K750 for £150! Then you can take perfect pictures. Includes marco, 4x digital zoom, b&w/sepia/negative and obviously carlos zeissioso lens!

Perfect for detailing pictures too.

Rich said:
Just seen the extenders, and also found a 70-200 4L brand new local to me as well :) Just need to phone him - £387 Collected. Oh dear!

pay with paypal via credit card then claim you didnt make the payment you get the lense and get your money back jobs a good un lol

Clio 197
Chaps:

If say one purhases a 70-200 len0s, am I right in saying that its sharpness will not be best at its extremes? (ie @70mm, and @200mm).

If so, how usable will the extrems be?

I'm just interested in what you're finding, as I'd like to get a few lenses myself.

Currently I'm thinking of 3:

1) 50mm
2) 180-70 ish
3) 70-200 or 70-300

I'd like the second two to be "L" lenses.

PS I've got a USM kit lens that I never use ;)

106 GTi
omar said:
Chaps:

If say one purhases a 70-200 len0s, am I right in saying that its sharpness will not be best at its extremes? (ie @70mm, and @200mm).

If so, how usable will the extrems be?

I'm just interested in what you're finding, as I'd like to get a few lenses myself.

Currently I'm thinking of 3:

1) 50mm
2) 180-70 ish
3) 70-200 or 70-300

I'd like the second two to be "L" lenses.

PS I've got a USM kit lens that I never use ;)

They say that any zoom will never be as sharp as a prime. The 70-200 is still meant to be very sharp by all accounts. If you looking a L's the 70-200 be in the 2.8 or 4, are meant to be the ones to go for. I don't think Canon currently do a 70-300 in the L range. There is a 28-300mm L, but seems it is only recommended over the 200mm's if you really need that extra length, and then reviews say it is not as sharp.

My thoughts is to get the 70-200, and the 1.4 extender, and at a later date add a 300 or 400mm Canon prime.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Rich et al,

Lily in the green house, from around 2metres away, with macro.

Thoughts?

{Edited} Plus my dog Muffin :) Bless her she hates the camera, so this time macro again and around 5 metres away. At around 300mm (200mm lens + 2x convertor)

Attachments

• lily.jpg
    lily.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 43
  • muffin.jpg
    muffin.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
  Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Pic of it all together... bit of a monster!

Attachments

• DSC01138.JPG
    DSC01138.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 63
  Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Thats the body + 2x extender + lens

lol. :) Going to take some pics tomorrow, will let you know how I get on! :)

106 GTi
Remind me not to walk in your way at any shows! Thought the 70-200 would be smaller than that, you can never get an impression viewing these things online.

Looking foward to the pics. Going to grab the 4L all going well tommorrow.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
I wasn't sure how big it would be, the surprising thing mate is the weight. Just make double sure before you buy tomorrow, its not light. lol.

106 GTi
My 70-200 4L is ordered. How you getting on with it Si it looks beastly to hand hold?

Glad that the 4L looks to be half the weight of the 2.8!

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Getting on alright... your right, it is beastly to hold and weighs, together with the body, around 2kg's which alot when you've got it all together. Manfrotto monopod here I come. lol.

Have taken some good pics though :) proper chuffed! :)

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Dave - why won't you need a tripod? Thats a link to a lens :S confused.

The extenders, depening on which one you buy, lower the focal ratio by either 1 stop (EF 1.4x extender) or 2 stops (EF 2x extender).

I suggest you read the following Wiki for a technical explanation as to F-stop values and their effects http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number

dk

911 GTS Cab
DarthCake said:
Dave - why won't you need a tripod? Thats a link to a lens :S confused.

The extenders, depening on which one you buy, lower the focal ratio by either 1 stop (EF 1.4x extender) or 2 stops (EF 2x extender).

I suggest you read the following Wiki for a technical explanation as to F-stop values and their effects http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number
i have a 350d and with that lens, because it has the IS, supposedly I won't need a tripod at 300mm like you would with a non-IS lens.

106 GTi
The reviews I have read on here http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/index.php?cat=45

Some say that you lose a little quality with the extenders on, some none, or some loads. I am going to grab the 1.4, as even with it on, the quality is surely still going to be better than the cheap sigma 70-300 I am currently using?

If I can get away with shooting at 200mm and not using the extender I will try that. Otherwise the extender will be used. I am sure this will tie me over till I can stretch to a 300 or 400 mm prime with IS!