ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Digital SLR cameras

dk

911 GTS Cab
DarthCake said:
IS (Image Stabilisation) is not meant as a replacement for using a tripod.
thats not the impression i got from the reviews, they made it seem like it was the lens for people who wanted to do without a tripod.

I just want a decent lens, about 300mm which I don't have to carry a stupid tripod around with and doesn't cost the earth, so like under £400.

Anyone have any ideas?

106 GTi
You dont want much!

The 70-200 4L I have brought of ebay is under £400, it will lack the extra 100 mm of reach but I will sort that will a 1.4x next month.

I have been shooting hand held with my 70-300mm 4-5.6 Sigma which was about a 150 quid, so they is no need to spend loads on a lens and worry about tripods. The only reason I am changing that is anything over 200mm it's soft due to the lens not the fact its hand held.

What lens/lenses have you got at the moment?

dk

911 GTS Cab
Rich said:
You dont want much!

The 70-200 4L I have brought of ebay is under £400, it will lack the extra 100 mm of reach but I will sort that will a 1.4x next month.

I have been shooting hand held with my 70-300mm 4-5.6 Sigma which was about a 150 quid, so they is no need to spend loads on a lens and worry about tripods. The only reason I am changing that is anything over 200mm it's soft due to the lens not the fact its hand held.

What lens/lenses have you got at the moment?
just the kit lens i'm afraid, haven't decided which lens to go for first since i got it at christmas!

106 GTi
Whatever you get will be an upgrade then ;)

A cheapish Sigma or Tamron Zoom will at least let you do some track stuff for 140-150.

These where done with my Sigma 70-300

http://www.richtreen.co.uk/events/actionday/index.html

IMG_9218.jpg

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Dave - then it was mis-worded. A monopod is what you really need for motorsport, not a tripod. The IS stabalises the image during panning and movement. A tripod and monopod support your camera. Hence 2 different things.

As for your requirements - lol good luck.

106 GTi
Is there much opportunity to catch any track action there? Never got round to seeing where you could take pics in past years.

dk

911 GTS Cab
DarthCake said:
Dave - then it was mis-worded. A monopod is what you really need for motorsport, not a tripod. The IS stabalises the image during panning and movement. A tripod and monopod support your camera. Hence 2 different things.

As for your requirements - lol good luck.
i don't understand how you would pan properly though with a tripod or monopod attached to the bottom of the camera, thats the whole point of the IS, they aren't required as the gyroscopes take care of your hand movement etc.

Isn't that right, cos I have read lots of reviews and they all say its good for people who don't want to use any support, infact the IS disables when a tripod is attached I read.

I'm not going to talk about IS as I dont know enough about it but a monopod will allow enough movement and is infact very handy at trackdays (as long as the track is flat) because you can pan very easily. With tripods you can do the same if they have a handle on the ball head :)

106 GTi
dave182 said:
i don't understand how you would pan properly though with a tripod or monopod attached to the bottom of the camera, thats the whole point of the IS, they aren't required as the gyroscopes take care of your hand movement etc.

Isn't that right, cos I have read lots of reviews and they all say its good for people who don't want to use any support, infact the IS disables when a tripod is attached I read.

I had read the same, some of the early canon systems wont work on tripods.

I have always understood the purpose of IS to be two fold, to allow you to shoot by hand in low light at slow shutter speeds than normal, and help panning on moving objects in low light and or at longer focal lengths.

The canon systems have settings for stabilisation in panning mode prevent up and down movement only of a full on setting which prevents any movement and shake. A very usefull tool for trying to get sharp images and capture movement in the normal crappy light we get over here by the sounds of it. Shame they are so damn dear.

I am going to have to get & try a monopod at some events, as I have not tried anything other than hand held.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
You can't pan with a tripod - well not easily but you can with a monopod - they are superb for it.

I've not come across a lens which disables when you attach a tripod/monopod. Sounds fishy to me. My 70-200 has a brackett which attaches to it for tripod mounting and thats not connected to the camera? So how would the IS disbale?

From the canon website:

Canon said:
Some Canon EF lenses incorporate an image stabiliser to prevent camera shake from spoiling the shot. This is particularly useful on close-ups or at slow shutter speeds, in situations where a tripod camera cannot be used. Optical shake is detected by gyro sensors which provide data to neutralise the shake. Some EF lenses have two IS modes, including one for panned shots to help you enjoy still greater photographic freedom.
Now - yes it does say that "it useful when a tripod cannot be used" - but it doesn't state that its a direct replacement for one. I'd much rather have an IS lens and still have a monopod and tripod - rather than doing without. A Manfrotto Carbon 5-section monopod weighs 500g and is 50cm long. Its hardly a bult piece of kit.

I'd also like to follow this up and say becareful what you read and where you read it. I have just started to buy Practical Photography and its a very good read. It teaches you techniques and is less BS and more factual based.

Fiesta Zetec S (for sale)
Hi, here's a pic I took at the Scottish Motorcycle Show last year, using a 1D MII and 70-200/2.8, handheld. I like it and I think it's agood example of what can be achieved using a slower shutter speed and panning. TBH I never use a monopod if I'm panning, but it's a matter of preference and TBH it's also something that you need to try and see how you go with it.

Anyway, here's the pic ...

Attachments

• jetcar.jpg
    jetcar.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 43
  top of the pyramid
my dads getting this for his 350d- Sigma 50-500mm f4-6.3 EX RF APO DG
im gonna go for the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO for my d50

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i have a nikon d2x body withe a few lenses...

i prefer nikon over cannon for the low range dslr's ne way... top of the range its pretty close... reason i stayed with nikon over canon is that carl zies are now making lenses for nikon... yeh i will need to sell my arsehole to get one... but i will eventually lol

106 GTi
FAO Si really - Received my 70-200 4L this morning. Shot a bit or random stuff on the way home from work, blown away by the quality. Could not even see the Cobwebs on this web shooting till I put it on screen. Thanks for encouraging me to buy it ;)

IMG_9666.jpg

The rest of the randomness is here http://www.richtreen.co.uk/images/70_200_test/index.html

Can not get over how sharp it is even at 200mm fully open.

IMG_9702.jpg

IMG_9715.jpg

IMG_9722.jpg

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Rich, I can only say its worth it mate. I tested a 70-300mm f4-f5.6 and whilst it was fine on a bright and sunny day, my style of photography varies so much I needed the f4 or higher.

The L-series kit is heavy, but the quality is sensational. Like the difference between buying a Kia Picanto for £7k or a used Audi.

Its a sensational lens mate and I'm so glad you've got it. We got there in the end eh. I see from your pics it looks like your lens supports Macro? Thats excellent bud.

I did some photography this week of Bluebells as they are out near me.

This is with my L-series at 200mm.

Attachments

• IMG_2396.jpg
    IMG_2396.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 50
  106 GTi
Stunning shot Si.

It is not got a true Macro setting, but has a switch to allow 2 differnt focusing distances.

Reading the reviews its a slower version of yours, but opticaly said to be as good, just lacking the low light capabilities of yours, and half the weight. I have actually got something I dont feel was a waste on nearly 400 quid.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Ahh thanks bud. I'm quite envious of your lamb! Very nice!

Mine supports macro through the actual camera body, as well as have the same switch as you do 1.5m - infinity and 3m - infinity.

Slower by only 1 f/stop which I think makes it a bargain at 400 quid.

As you asked earlier, the combined weight of mine (body+extender+lens) is around 2-3kg's so is on the limit of my tripod, but then, it feels quality :)

106 GTi
You will get fit lugging it around ;)

Same swith as yours on the 4L too. £377 new which I thought was well worth getting.

I will try it in Macro mode on the camera and see how it goes. I shot mostly in AV and TV this evening. The close's up where done as close as it would allow me to get and focus on the 1.5m setting.

dk

911 GTS Cab
i just bagged myself a canon 80-200 USM of ebay for £57, just for a play to see what length lens i wanna go for, thinking about the 300 so will see what the 200 is like!

106 GTi
Dave for most track work I think you will find 200mm to short apart from anything other than maybe some side on pans or if you get the chance to get very close soe how. I have found 300mm to short at most tracks so far which on a 350D is 480mm due to it not being a full frame sensor. The problem is any really long lenses are out of my budget.

dk

911 GTS Cab
that was my thinking too but i have had the kit lens only now since christmas so i thought i would investigate a longer one and at £60 I thought it was worth a shot.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
I'd be interested to see the results of the £60 lens. At £750 the f/2.8 wasn't cheap (its not brand new either) but should give some sensational pics. :)

106 GTi
dave182 said:
that was my thinking too but i have had the kit lens only now since christmas so i thought i would investigate a longer one and at £60 I thought it was worth a shot.

Well worth a shot at that money. Either way it has loads more reach than the kit lens.

Si - anything is a step up from the 350D 18-55 bit off junk!

SLK 350
On the subject of cameras, im thinking of buying a Canon S70 powershot, as ebuyer have them for £198. Seems good money for a supposedly great compact.

Anyone used/own one?

A4 Avant
I've actually taken some quite good shots with my kit lens at a recent concert, even though we were quite a distance away and with low lighting!! Much better than I've ever taken than any othe digital camera i've managed to smuggle in!

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
LOL Rich mines not full of dust, i've been good at cleaning it but its still far from ideal.

Maybe in a few months I'll review the situation! :D

106 GTi
DarthCake said:
LOL Rich mines not full of dust, i've been good at cleaning it but its still far from ideal.

Maybe in a few months I'll review the situation! :D

I have had the kit lens and my Sigma 70-300 since the same day, looked after them both as carefuly as I can, but the kit one is full of dust inside. The Sigma has stayed fine.

There is no way of cleaning that out is there?